Good News Just Keeps Rolling in on The Economy

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It is a terrible idea to attempt to discuss government finances by using a personal finance analogy. Government and family debt are nothing alike.

They may be different, but they have similar affects. Either the cost of borrowing consumes future income or inflation hurts the buying power of those you're "helping" right now. One way or another you're using tomorrow's productivity today. It's a false recovery.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They may be different, but they have similar affects. Either the cost of borrowing consumes future income or inflation hurts the buying power of those you're "helping" right now. One way or another you're using tomorrow's productivity today. It's a false recovery.

That doesn't have to be true at all, sorry.

Sep 29, 2004
The US government isalso down something like 33% in tax revenue compared to the peak in 2007. As the economy improves, tax revenue will go up and quickly kill off hte national debt.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The US government isalso down something like 33% in tax revenue compared to the peak in 2007. As the economy improves, tax revenue will go up and quickly kill off hte national debt.

That revenue was based on a phony bubble economy. Those government revenues are not coming back any time soon.

Also, when is the last time the national debt went down, regardless of federal revenue?

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Employment:
January 2009: 142 million.
January 2012: 142 million.

Wow I'm in awe of those of you who worship this crap. Wall street loves what Obama has done. He is solidifying the transfer of wealth that was in process when he was elected. No new jobs. Despite population growth of how many millions, this country has no new jobs. All on the back of 5 trillion+ drunken sailor deficit spending.

Crackheads of the world unite! Paul Krugman is callin you.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Employment:
January 2009: 142 million.
January 2012: 142 million.

Wow I'm in awe of those of you who worship this crap. Wall street loves what Obama has done. He is solidifying the transfer of wealth that was in process when he was elected. No new jobs. Despite population growth of how many millions, this country has no new jobs. All on the back of 5 trillion+ drunken sailor deficit spending.

Crackheads of the world unite! Paul Krugman is callin you.
I agree that workforce participation and even more so, the total number of jobs (and even more so, the total payroll) are much more important than unemployment, especially since the Obama administration took over unemployment figures. Didn't employment get worse in 2010 & 2011 though? If we dropped and then clawed our way back to 2009 levels, that's still a good thing.

Subjectively, things seem to me to be getting noticeably better. I know we're totally jammed, to the point that we just hired another engineer (and we laid off no one during the recession.) I do agree that outsourcing and off shoring are destroying our nation in the long run, but until we as a people decide to change that, no President is going to change that. That's the beauty of democratic representation; we get the leadership we deserve, not the leadership we need or want. What could be more fair? Why should we have a President to save us from companies shipping jobs out of the country when we make the decisions what to buy?

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Well that's certainly a well reasoned analysis. Thanks for your contribution.
One of the contributing factors to the decline in unemployment is the fact that the government simply stops counting people after they've been unemployed for an arbitrary amount of time. Are you disputing this fact or just trolling?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One of the contributing factors to the decline in unemployment is the fact that the government simply stops counting people after they've been unemployed for an arbitrary amount of time. Are you disputing this fact or just trolling?

I am disputing that "fact" because it is false. Where did you get that idea in your head from anyway?

The 'unemployment rate' that people commonly use comes from the monthly BLS survey. That is not based off of unemployment benefit data, it comes from two entirely separate surveys of individuals and businesses and most certainly does not cease counting someone as unemployed simply because their benefits run out.

To learn more about this process please visit the BLS website:
http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If by shit you mean facts, then yes, it's the same shit again. I'm not surprised you consider facts to be shit.

I consider your interpretation of the facts to be shit. You not knowing what you're talking about isn't exactly new though, hence my 'again'.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Used an improper description? You had a complete misunderstanding of something you read, regurgitated it into something that didn't even make sense, and then attempted to defend your stupidity for four pages.

If I thought you had anything useful to contribute to the world I'd see what you had to say, but suffice it to say I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for that to happen.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Used an improper description? You had a complete misunderstanding of something you read, regurgitated it into something that didn't even make sense, and then attempted to defend your stupidity for four pages.

If I thought you had anything useful to contribute to the world I'd see what you had to say, but suffice it to say I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for that to happen.

lol, not quite. I used the Bush tax cuts for the rich instead of them in their entirety, and then said I was wrong when I looked at it again. When you are shown to be wrong you usually just bail out of a thread and never return, hoping nobody will notice. I could link to those all night if I wanted to.