Good News Just Keeps Rolling in on The Economy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Man, I can't even start separate threads for them anymore.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a-4-year-low/2012/03/15/gIQAy6yzDS_story.html

New unemployment claims at their lowest in 4 years. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

"When applications drop consistently below 375,000, it usually signals that hiring is strong enough to lower the unemployment rate."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/15/us-markets-stocks-idUSBRE82B0DQ20120315

Wall Street loves it. :thumbsup:

"U.S. stocks rose on Thursday, with the S&P 500 topping the 1,400-mark for the first time since the financial crisis on a strong run of economic data."

Man, at this rate there could be a popular uprising in 2016 demanding the repeal of term limits after Obama balances the budget, reverses climate change, and achieves energy independence.

I don't want to get ahead of myself though, maybe the Republicans can take the Whitehouse with their brilliant 'We Hate Women' campaign. :D

Great news!
Over the past four months or so, the economic news has been positive. Unless there is an external shock or the GOP neo-fiscal conservatives* do not throttle the economy it will continue to be in growth phase of the cycle for awhile. Considering the housing sector is not leading the economy points to a boost in two years or so when housing construction comes back online.

*Where were they during the GWB adminstration?

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
You realize you started this shit right? To busy tooting your own "sides" horn to have any critical thought. Dipshit. Obama is not going to do anything to balance the budget, neither have those in recent times who came before him. This is all politics to grab as much power and wealth as possible. Only idiots root for a team besides themselves, tools.

I'd consider Clinton recent times and he achieved it along with a plan for us to have paid off nearly all of the national debt by now. Granted that was before 2 military conflicts and a large recession.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
If only the deficit didn't just hit yet another record, then we could actually celebrate.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
If turning our economy around in less than 4 years doesn't make Obama the Messiah, I don't know what does. He will balance the budget in his next term and will be a lock for 2016 and probably beyond.

I say we make him president for life. That way my children can tell their children that the president-for-life is why they have a 65% tax rate on their income.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Just like when Obama didn't give an accurate figure on the real cost of Obamacare. Gonna be hard to balance a budget when you can't figure out how much you are spending.

Round and round we go.

CBO != Obama

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Yeah I was looking at that Data...Ronnie Raygun,Bush1 and Bush 2 spent like crazy to get out of a micro recession compared to the one President Obama inherited.

HUGE difference in spending and Obama campaigned on cutting the deficit in half by the end of his first term.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My daughter has had several job offers from Boston. She is trying to move out there. Almost no future in southern Illinois. My son is in Utah going to school and is working over there in the Computer field. My suggestion is be willing to move to where the jobs are.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
serve-620x450.jpg

Peek-a-boo.

Peek-a-boo:

Greece GDP per capita: $26,600
US GDP per capita: $48,000

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just like when Obama didn't give an accurate figure on the real cost of Obamacare. Gonna be hard to balance a budget when you can't figure out how much you are spending.

Round and round we go.

Umm he gave the numbers the CBO gave him...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I say we make him president for life. That way my children can tell their children that the president-for-life is why they have a 65% tax rate on their income.
I'm glad you have come around to accept the fact that Obama is indeed the Messiah and a perfect candidate for permanent US President. Hopefully we can solve the problem of human mortality before he dies of natural causes because we may not see another man as great as him for another 2000 years.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
http://www.theblaze.com/

But, you know, if I link from Reuters and the Washington Post, that's just liberal propaganda. :D

I thought someone would like pretty pictures. :) The text attributing the source is small, "IMF Data, 2012 Budget Summary Tables and Senate Budget Committee calculations... Based on 2010 Population and General Government Gross Debt in national currency; currency conversions are based on Dec. 31 2010 euro to dollar conversion rates. General Government Gross Debt includes Federal, State, and Local debt, but excludes intragovernmental holdings."

Here's a link with no political affiliation.
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Do we like time machines?
http://www.usdebtclock.org/cbo-omb-gop-budget-estimates.html

Definitely sustainable, this path.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Is it really good news when the new jobs require government handouts in order for one to survive?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-reaches-record-46-5-million-in-december.html

U.S. Food-Stamp Use Hit Record 46.5M in Dec.

By Alan Bjerga - Mar 2, 2012
U.S. food-stamp use, which Republicans have cited as evidence of a failing economy, rose 0.5 percent to a record in December, the government said.
About 46.514 million Americans received aid, up from 46.286 million in November, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said today in an e-mail. Participation was 5.5 percent higher than a year earlier.
Food stamps have become a theme in the presidential campaign, as enrollment has increased 47 percent since December 2008, the month before President Barack Obama took office. Annual spending has more than doubled in four years to a record $75.3 billion, a level called unsustainable by Republicans including Newt Gingrich, who has labeled Obama “the best food- stamp president in American history.”
The number of Americans receiving assistance under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the initiative better-known as food stamps, set records every month from December 2008 until June 2011.
The government spent $6.22 billion on the program in December, the last month for which food-stamp figures are available.

Joepublic2

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
Nobody's (R or D) has done anything to actually fix the economy. They just keep on putting on pressure bandages as the blood soaks through when they need to break down and perform some surgery to stop the bleeding.

This is just another bubble in a long line of bubbles that started in the 70s and there's going to be hell to pay when the mother bubble pops. We're now outright creating money to pay down debt (qualitative easing), which just hides it as a hidden tax on everybody and everything (real goods/services keep on getting more expensive; I don't put much heed in govt reported inflation rates), and loaning out money at unrealistically low interest rates which also causes even more inflation and even worse micro-credit bubbles that take advantage of that low interest rate to fund marginally profitable business ventures that while creating short term jobs won't create long term stability as they're simply not profitable enough to be long term stable. Many of these new jobs/industries were created through govt subsidy because they simple weren't profitable ventures until they started getting massive infusions of cash and tax write offs from the govt.

I'd come up with a long coherent reason as to why the unemployment numbers are a fraud but I'll leave it like this.

When the new jobs being created are sales staff at target and people working at the genius bar for 1/3 of what they were making before, that's not really helping productivity or wage earnings.

This too. If you had a 40hr/wk job back before this "recession" that paid $60k a year, lost your job, and the only new one you could find was 20hr/wk that pays 8k a year you're technically employed again even thought you went from putting say 30k of that 60k into consuming goods/services where as now you can't afford to buy anything but the bare necessities (you and your 3 new roommates that is). The only employment statistic that matters to politicians for the purposes of pandering are if a person has a job or not, which is a poor indicator of how much if anything they're actually able to contribute to the consumer economy.

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Good news is fewer people appling for unemployment . I suppose you think extensions last forever . There are now more people recieving no income and this is good news . Unless you can tell me were all these jobs are . This data is laughable . So fewer claims means what exactly according to this misinformation. Our problems are just beginning not ending .

Last edited:

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
I personally have the feeling the bloated government's gut will be left hanging over its belt after the election, and it won't be pretty. Right now the artifice gut is being sucked in tightly, "sucked" being the operative word.

Chasing all this older money into risky speculative bubble investments like the stock market (with gas prices rising along with interest rates) isn't going to end pretty.

Last edited: