God of War (PS4)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
They were all a cakewalk except
the queen,
who seems to scale to your level.

So much faster than the others, very little wind-up so it's easy to misread and then make the wrong defensive move until you've spent some time on it.

I can't seem to get a handle on these Traveler dudes, or whatever the guys are called with the shields on their backs. Two hits from them and I'm dead on this difficulty. Any tips? I can only parry like 1 out of 3 or 4 attacks so maybe I just have to wait until I'm stronger.

Dodge, hit a couple times, back out, repeat. Spam arrows as much as possible. Use runic attacks on every cooldown. Eventually you'll do enough damage to break off their armor, or if you get the stun meter up you can rip off the armor. Try light arrows and fists.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm going to work on 100%-ing everything else and see how much patience I have for that
Me as well. After playing, with what I thought was a majority of the game, and ending the main game, I am only at 62%.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
*overall per realm

Midgard is such a majority of the list that I'd say the other realm %'s don't matter that much

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Muspelheim took some work but was still a lot less than Niflheim. Niflheim is definitely grindy, but I wanted to see the realm tear fights. I really enjoyed exploring the game world though, so completing absolutely everything else didn't feel like a chore.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So much faster than the others, very little wind-up so it's easy to misread and then make the wrong defensive move until you've spent some time on it.

Dodge, hit a couple times, back out, repeat. Spam arrows as much as possible. Use runic attacks on every cooldown. Eventually you'll do enough damage to break off their armor, or if you get the stun meter up you can rip off the armor. Try light arrows and fists.

Spamming arrows is one thing I think people forget about this game the most.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I made the mistake of not upgrading the boy's bow all the way before I beat the game. So I did use the bow a lot but just not as effective as it could have been.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
if I was starting over I think I'd upgrade the bow before anything else.

do you guys use a lot of the combat skills? those I almost never use aside from the r1 r1 r1 r2 axe combo. maybe on hard mode I would have had to learn

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I found most of the combat skills useful. They're good to have for interrupting enemies, pushing enemies back to give you some space, extending combos, and generally filling in what is otherwise downtime during combat.

The post-parry shield attacks are good for clearing some space. Parry-R1 has a good knockback that can send enemies off ledges or into other enemies, and Parry-R2 is good for juggling. If Atreus has the sharpshooter armor he'll do extra damage while the enemies are in the air. Any of the sprint attacks are good for initiating combat and for a quick interrupt or stagger, plus barehanded-sprint-R2 can be used to knock enemies off ledges. The stance-change axe attacks have some range to them which can hit multiple enemies or enemies just out of normal reach, plus they just do good damage and look cool. The stance-change barehanded attacks can build up stun meters pretty quickly, good for combining with light arrows. The moves which recall your axe and attack at the same time are good for keeping combat flowing since you can throw the axe, use your fists, then recall and attack in one fluid move instead of backing out and giving the enemy time to recover. The double-tap L1 guard break also staggers, helpful for taking down shielded enemies a bit faster, but really useful on Valkyries when they close their wings.

The only skills I remember that I never particularly used were the quick attacks when evading forwards or backwards, or the precision throw bonus that made the next throw explode. Sometimes these just happened but I never specifically worked those into any strategy. Executioner's cleave I used a lot towards the start but less towards the end due to the windup. Any stray nightmares, revenants, or other ranged mobs always seem to get a hit in before the iframes activate. I remember using it too kill tatzelwurms, or to do a lot of damage to reavers when they started to heal.

Reactions: slayer202

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Hah, I should really practice some of that...but the shield guard break on valkyries is a great tip, I didn't know that worked!

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Finished all I wanted to do in Helheim and finally went back to Niflheim last night. It was much easier than the first time I messed around there. I have a rough sense of the layout which helps, and was able to work my way through and have a full set of mist resistance armor + pommel + talisman. Also opened the chest that leads to the final leviathan axe upgrade. Beat the valkyrie. I'll see how long it takes me to start closing the realm tears but that's pretty much all I have left, plus valkyrie queen

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Finished all I wanted to do in Helheim and finally went back to Niflheim last night. It was much easier than the first time I messed around there. I have a rough sense of the layout which helps, and was able to work my way through and have a full set of mist resistance armor + pommel + talisman. Also opened the chest that leads to the final leviathan axe upgrade. Beat the valkyrie. I'll see how long it takes me to start closing the realm tears but that's pretty much all I have left, plus valkyrie queen
7 more Valkyries to go!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I managed to use the shield block randomly even when I didn't mean to throughout the game. I haven't played much since I finished the game. I'm tempted to start a new game on easy mode and just go through it again to explore more.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
valkyrie queen is....hard

must have tried 10-15 times and am able to get her to about half her health but not much further

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Moving at a turtle's pace through the game but still enjoying it very much when I can. The combat is rewarding but I have a hard time with the tighter spots. Between multiple guard break attacks coming in from different directions, and the amount of damage the more powerful attacks do, I typically get wrecked if I mess up with my dodging and parrying even once. I like it, though, because it keeps me from just racing through to the end--which is honestly the last thing I want to do.

How do I get the other blue portals to become unlocked by the way? I can only travel to the center of the lake where Brok is and nowhere else. All the other ones have a red lock on them... something with the tree?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
it's part of the main story, pretty far into the game unfortunately, but you won't miss it.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Did a couple of Valks, they are tough sombitches! 75% done on completion. Epic game!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I came across some kind of Valkyrie conference area or something lol but nobody was home. It sounds like I am so screwed when it comes to them. Can't wait!!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I came across some kind of Valkyrie conference area or something lol but nobody was home. It sounds like I am so screwed when it comes to them. Can't wait!!
Yea I remember that room. It has like different thrones. Im not sure what you have to do there but I'm pretty sure once you defeat all of them you can go back there.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yea I remember that room. It has like different thrones. Im not sure what you have to do there but I'm pretty sure once you defeat all of them you can go back there.
I haven't gotten to that room, but I just beat my 2nd one and after there was some dialog about that room you are talking about, how you go there with the heads after or something.

I've only ran into two of them and I have defeated them both. I just got the blades like 2 hours or so ago too as far as the story goes so you know how far along I am. Both of them were not easy to defeat and probably took me 10 or so tries before I finally beat em.