God of War (PS4)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
damn, I beat Gondul last night but for a while it felt like I was playing a dark souls game, she was tough

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
damn, I beat Gondul last night but for a while it felt like I was playing a dark souls game, she was tough
Is that one of the valkyrie? I have yet to try them again. Found a tear realm on one of the items and while I feel pretty OP for the rest of the enemies, these guys I could not beat.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
yeah she's the one on top of muspelheim

I killed a couple others without any problem but this one was very difficult

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Great, can't wait for that encounter...

I got spanked trying to do a side quest last night; repeatedly mauled by wolves that I could barely hurt. Made sure to dodge and roll around as much as possible but there were two wolves who could basically land 1 hit bite kills (attacks could not be blocked or parried). I tried like ten times but couldn't pull it off so I'll have to go back to that one later. So far, that's the only one I've had to back off from but being away from the game for over a week certainly didn't help either.

I also cant stand those stupid nightmare things, especially the poison ones--such a cheap and annoying gimmick enemy.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
that's one of the realm fights, right? that was hard too, I had to skip that the first time I came across it

I still had some trouble when I did it a day or two again. I found it easier to open the realm and run back a bit for slightly more space. they aren't that aggressive from a distance so just take your time and use arrows to help keep them in check while trying to separate the two as best as you can

You can always just cheese arrows for most enemies too, if you need to

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Not sure, there were four of them though... two orange bars and two purple that could basically kill me whenever they wanted to. The weaker ones I could parry but it seemed like the columns in the area always screwed me over because it limited my peripheral; one of the stronger ones would just leap out of nowhere and take me right down by the throat. Brutal death animation, which I certainly appreciate, but I just got frustrated after a bit.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not sure, there were four of them though... two orange bars and two purple that could basically kill me whenever they wanted to. The weaker ones I could parry but it seemed like the columns in the area always screwed me over because it limited my peripheral; one of the stronger ones would just leap out of nowhere and take me right down by the throat. Brutal death animation, which I certainly appreciate, but I just got frustrated after a bit.

Axe throw and return, axe throw and return. That’s how I got through some of the harder fights.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I encountered two purple health ice guys and one orange health bar dude but the ice axe did not help in my case. Both of them had shields too and a guy with the ice club basically slamemd it down and it was a one hit kill.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea there was no way I had the time to aim and throw the axe at these wolves; if I stopped for more than a second I was most certainly dead. It was also made harder by the damn stone columns since there really wasn't a lot of room.

I forget the name of the area but basically I'm trying to find some whet stone or something and it's throwing me into these different rooms. First one was two Draugr (sp?) heavies, which are fun to fight, then it was 2 poison guys and a Viken?? That one took a few tries because he was a one hit killer and I didn't have my axe because the room was poisoned. These dudes could also regenerate health so I had to engage pretty consistently and be smart about landing blows. Most of their moves were televised pretty well though, so definitely doable.

The next room was two revenants which were easy but took a bit of time since they were constantly attacking; then it was the wolves which absolutely trashed me.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yea there was no way I had the time to aim and throw the axe at these wolves; if I stopped for more than a second I was most certainly dead. It was also made harder by the damn stone columns since there really wasn't a lot of room.

I forget the name of the area but basically I'm trying to find some whet stone or something and it's throwing me into these different rooms. First one was two Draugr (sp?) heavies, which are fun to fight, then it was 2 poison guys and a Viken?? That one took a few tries because he was a one hit killer and I didn't have my axe because the room was poisoned. These dudes could also regenerate health so I had to engage pretty consistently and be smart about landing blows. Most of their moves were televised pretty well though, so definitely doable.

The next room was two revenants which were easy but took a bit of time since they were constantly attacking; then it was the wolves which absolutely trashed me.

Yeah I did that part, Fafnir’s storeroom. The wolves were annoying but I basically attacked as soon as I entered and was able by throwing the axe. Focus on the purple one and dodge lots. If you are dodging to the side they will miss. It took me a few times but I got it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I did that part, Fafnir’s storeroom. The wolves were annoying but I basically attacked as soon as I entered and was able by throwing the axe. Focus on the purple one and dodge lots. If you are dodging to the side they will miss. It took me a few times but I got it.

Also don’t overlook resurrection stone and spartan rage usage. Pummel the crap out of the purples with spartan rage and it’s basically easy mode.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

Problem is... there's two purple ones, which makes for quite an encounter. I don't think I had any rage though, so if I could at least take down one of the stronger ones with that would make the situation much much easier. I'll go back and try again leveled up a bit more. It gave me the impression that it was plenty possible but I couldn't find an edge; the rage is probably it.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
no shame in moving onto another quest in the meantime. I think I took my time getting to that one and it was easy by the time I did it. for some reason that room was a lot easier than the 2 wulves in the realm challenge

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Also don’t overlook resurrection stone and spartan rage usage. Pummel the crap out of the purples with spartan rage and it’s basically easy mode.
The resurrection Stone has to be purchased each time right? I keep forgetting sometimes I gave it equipped and it gets used when I die because I accidentally press square as if it's a qte.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
You have to buy new ones but if you die again before clearing whatever you're doing you get it back

the thing I always forget is the kid's runic attack

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea the son's runic attack I do on accident many times. I don't actually remember the combination for it. I've done most of the side quests up to the point where I can't win some battles and I now have to find Tyr's door so I guess I'll continue the story.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't win game of the year, or perhaps I'm also curious how good last of us 2 will be compared to this game.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The resurrection Stone has to be purchased each time right? I keep forgetting sometimes I gave it equipped and it gets used when I die because I accidentally press square as if it's a qte.

Yes and you can only hold one. As you progress you unlock different ones that give you various effects.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just did the Thor Statue side quest last night (as soon as I found out about it and talked to the guy who "unlocks" it). I was a bit higher level than most enemies there so it was a cake walk, but holy shit, that whole "area" was awesome. Those ruins and the building you walk through was like never ending, it was great! Oh and then the other side quest you find while there too ... that was pretty awesome.

The scale of this game is simply incredible.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
[
I just did the Thor Statue side quest last night (as soon as I found out about it and talked to the guy who "unlocks" it). I was a bit higher level than most enemies there so it was a cake walk, but holy shit, that whole "area" was awesome. Those ruins and the building you walk through was like never ending, it was great! Oh and then the other side quest you find while there too ... that was pretty awesome.

The scale of this game is simply incredible.
The one where you open the massive gates? I did that one early in the game.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I have a question... should I going to other realms before returning to the mountain with the light? Reason I ask is because I'm probably not ready to enter some of these places but curiosity owns me and I tend to get side-tracked very easily. There's just so many places I want to go in the game but will I eventually be lead there anyway or is some of it just "off the beaten path" and extra curricular?

I can tell by this thread that I am definitely lagging behind but I'm enjoying it just the same, save for those damn wolves but I'll return--don't you worry.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I have a question... should I going to other realms before returning to the mountain with the light? Reason I ask is because I'm probably not ready to enter some of these places but curiosity owns me and I tend to get side-tracked very easily. There's just so many places I want to go in the game but will I eventually be lead there anyway or is some of it just "off the beaten path" and extra curricular?

I can tell by this thread that I am definitely lagging behind but I'm enjoying it just the same, save for those damn wolves but I'll return--don't you worry.

There are so many sides areas and I've found that the main quest doesn't lead you to many of them at all, so take all the detours you want

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

You can probably do a bit of the fire realm, forget the name. It unlocks early on and the gear is pretty good for early to mid-game.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

This is an issue I see with game. It doesn't necessarily even take you by these other side areas. There is no mention of when you should be going to these other areas. I still can't access the other realms and I'm about 75% complete in the game without defeating any of the Valkyries.

I can access the first realm of course and that fire realm where you grind for treasure. But the other ones it says I don't have the rune or odin has blocked access to it.

You can manually explore the islands around the lake and you will find ghosts there that help you get side misisons.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well it’s kind of nice that they don’t mark a bunch of stuff on your map assassins creed style though I would like to know sometimes if there is a reason to try going out of my way. I remember the developers did say they didn’t want you to have a checklist of things to accomplish but rather it be left more to your curiosity to explore.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This is an issue I see with game. It doesn't necessarily even take you by these other side areas. There is no mention of when you should be going to these other areas. I still can't access the other realms and I'm about 75% complete in the game without defeating any of the Valkyries.

I can access the first realm of course and that fire realm where you grind for treasure. But the other ones it says I don't have the rune or odin has blocked access to it.

You can manually explore the islands around the lake and you will find ghosts there that help you get side misisons.
I've noticed multiple times that when you hit a big part of the story progression, Atreus will be like "we can go to X, or we can go explore" and I typically go explore. I like that there is really no hand holding in this game and it's up to you how you want to play it.

I defeated my first Valkyrie last night and I don't think I'm even 75% through the story at this point, although I could be. It doesn't feel that way though. It was a tough battle and I feel I'm a bit under powered, but good parrying is basically how I defeated her. I kept getting health orbs due to them.