God of War (PS4)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
One of the RPG elements I did not do until last night was to upgrade the kids bow and arrow skill. Now I usually let him deal with high level enemies and wear them down then I come in and finish them off. Hes a PITA anyway so let him earn his keep.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
the shock arrows with the chain effect and everything else upgraded is almost overpowered

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea I've upgraded kratos all the way but didn't pay much attention to the boy's gear. Haven't been playing lately. Have this weird sinus thing going on where I don't feel like doing anything when I get home. I think I'm pretty close to the end anyway. Then I'll go back and try to finush far cry 5.

Once you also upgrade the chains they become very powerful as long as you are not fighting all purple enemies.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Thanks for the heads up good sirs... looks like the game does a great job of rewarding my side tracking. There was just so much stuff that I didn't really want to end up missing something if I stuck to the main storyline. Besides, I feel like the more side stuff I can do the better off I'll be on the main path.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
God damnit this game is fucking great. I just got to the part last night where...

Krato's son is showing signs of Spartan Rage and you take him to the witch, and in turn have to go back to the realm of the dead but have to use your blades. I had not a fucking CLUE that his blades were even in this game and I thought it was going to be completely without it just since it's a "reimagined" game. But holy shit, they are awesome and I love that you are starting out at level 1 again and now have to build more stats up. This game just keeps on getting better and better.

I'm not sure if that was revealed in any pre-release trailers or videos because other than the initial trailer, I intentionally steered clear of videos of this game.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
God damnit this game is fucking great. I just got to the part last night where...

Krato's son is showing signs of Spartan Rage and you take him to the witch, and in turn have to go back to the realm of the dead but have to use your blades. I had not a fucking CLUE that his blades were even in this game and I thought it was going to be completely without it just since it's a "reimagined" game. But holy shit, they are awesome and I love that you are starting out at level 1 again and now have to build more stats up. This game just keeps on getting better and better.

I'm not sure if that was revealed in any pre-release trailers or videos because other than the initial trailer, I intentionally steered clear of videos of this game.
Agree. The whole game changes from that point. For the better. I'm at the last leg of the game and will be replaying it.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I finished the story a couple nights ago. Been working on the optional realms, just a few Muspelheim trials left and two realm tears in Niflheim. I have all the Valkyrie helms, need to go place them on the thrones in Midgard. I mostly saved Muspelheim and Niflheim for after the story. I generally explored and re-explored everything I could as the story opened up new paths or gave new tools. The structure of the game world is pretty awesome, lets you explore but doesn't overwhelm or feel pointless. The game tracks things well so you don't wander around aimlessly, but it doesn't just hand things to you with endless map markers.

I played through entirely on the 3rd difficulty level. I spent a lot of time early on banging my head against the wall and slowly working my way through fights I probably should have saved for later or turned the difficulty down for. I fumbled with the controls a lot, experimented with alternative assignments, but ultimately ended up going back to the original mapping with just dodge/interact swapped. In experimenting with the controls, something about the original mapping and the combat system suddenly clicked. The challenge, while still brutal at times (Valkyries in particular), became insanely fun and progressively more manageable. The final two Valkyries ended up being much easier than the rest by the time I got around to them.

The adherence to Norse mythology has apparently been quite solid. They really threw Kratos into it, rather than adapting it for him. There's an interesting reddit threat about translation of runes in the game everybody should check out after they finish (SPOILERS, BE CAREFUL). I also just discovered an 8-episode podcast - The Lost Pages of Norse Myth - that was released monthly leading up to the launch and contains some good developer interviews. I was a decent fan of the GoW series, but never really got hyped up for this one for some reason. Probably because I hadn't gotten around to picking up a PS4 yet so I figured I just wouldn't play it for a while. Ended up grabbing a Pro right after the game launch and don't regret it one bit. This game has been amazing. I'm excited for the next installment.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I got to Niflheim last night and I'm definitely going to save it (if play it at all). It felt like grinding and much different than the rest of the game. Unless I really need better gear to finish the game (which I doubt) I'm not sure what the point it. Grinding to get better gear to fight more enemies that don't exist? I can only see myself doing it as an end game task if I want to keep playing

On another note, the photo mode looks awesome

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's odd that the niffelheim realm is opened up so late..you already have most upgrades by then. The only reason I wanted to go there was for the one whetstone.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I agree, unless I'm not as far along as I think. I'm back to climbing the mountain on what I believe is called the "last attempt to get to jotunheim"

Another thing, I know I was just talking about the arrows being overpowered but I upgraded some more and didn't realize you can make them even more OP

For some reason I was reading the arrow upgrade as faster shooting as opposed to faster regen so I didn't bother for 25k hacksilver. But I have so much I went ahead, plus maybe one or two more upgrades including having 4 arrows. Damn it's nice

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You are further than me that's for sure, and I thought I was over powered with my current upgrades so it may not even make sense for me to do all that. But I probably will as I've been scanning the map and doing fights and other scenarios that you can filter with R2. I should advance the story already.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I finished the main portion of the game and even though I thought I did a ton of side stuff I'm only 60% complete. Now I'm going to other parts of the world to do the stuff I couldn't do earlier in the game. This game and hzd are truly the best games in years.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Made it to niffelheim and I'm trying to grab 500 echos but damn it's tough. I like that it's randomized so sometimes I'll get easier enemies.

But I was wondering if, say collect 300 echoes and go back to the blacksmith can I hand them in and then do another round for the other 200?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Do some of the realms that are locked by Odin ever get unlocked somehow? I can only imagine that if not it’s left for some type of dlc.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
This game is bananas awesome.

I'm still behind but I've gotten quite a bit done since my last play. I've also gotten much better gear and I've been doing pretty well in combat.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Made it to niffelheim and I'm trying to grab 500 echos but damn it's tough. I like that it's randomized so sometimes I'll get easier enemies.

But I was wondering if, say collect 300 echoes and go back to the blacksmith can I hand them in and then do another round for the other 200?

I think you can do this, yes. I was having a tough time but after a few tries it's not too bad. You have to clear two areas before you get over 500. After that you enter an area where you gain a bunch of em (and a tip, don't do what I did and collect a bunch and then open one of the chests that costs echos to open. save that for later and use the echos to buy some mist resistance gear).

Do some of the realms that are locked by Odin ever get unlocked somehow? I can only imagine that if not it’s left for some type of dlc.

I just finished the main game and googled the answer. there's no way as of now. DLC seems likely

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm definitely getting the dlc for this game for sure. I said that about horizon too but have yet to finish it. Can't get back into it now as my control scheme is all over the place between the two games.

Seems like what I'll do is get the first 300 echoes in the main room then go back and get 200 more. Just wanted to try and get that whetstone but it seems like all I have left besides the valkyrie fights is to complete the story.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The dwarf says there is a whetstone there in the store room at niffelheim. Not sure if that's after you collect the 500 echoes or not. But I'm about to try and make it through now and see if that quest is at the same location as the collect echoes quest.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I would double check what the quest says, I don't think it's there

From what I've been reading it doesn't seem like there's anything really needed there other than the valkyrie. The only reason you need better gear from there is if you are trying to plan for the DLC, imo

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Ah I figured it out. The 500 echoes let's you buy the entry stone to the center chamber. I think the whetstone may be there in that chamber workshop. I got it now so I'm trying to randomly get easier enemies to open the center chamber. If not I'll just go ahead and continue the story.

Edit: Fiffnirs store room points somewhere else but talks about a whetstone from niffelheim. I guess I don't need to enter the center chamber after all.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Had the last boss fight last night. Still have to finish the journey to the mountain but that battle was pretty cool. Of course I kind of had a feeling about how it would turn out.

Trying beat gunnr the Valkyrie now. Her moves are so cheap. I dinjo why but blocking seems to do nothing once she gets on a roll with her combos. Figured I'd be powered up enough now to do some more damage but both axe and blades only take small amounts of dmage from her.

Edit: Judging by what happens at the end I'm sure there will be another game or dlc that continues the story. I hope that if they do continue the story with dlc that it will be just as good. What a game!

Although the director has stated no dlc plans which maybe they didn't want to get people's hopes up. But the other locations we can't travel to are probably going to be available in god of war 5.

Last edited:

Dolfan349

May 21, 2007
Haven't posted in forever, but this game was so awesome I wanted to add my praise to this thread. From the pacing to the plot twists, the beautiful graphics (I didn't even play it in HDR, just 4k mode), and the tight gameplay, this was really a masterpiece for me. I don't usually 100% games as it typically becomes a chore, but getting platinum on this was fun from beginning to end.

As far as Niflheim goes, once you get enough Niflheim gear, I was able to pull 11000-12000 Mist Echoes per run. IMO it's totally worth it if you want to wreck Valkyries, as I got my overall Kratos level to 9 before taking them out. They were all a cakewalk except
the queen,
who seems to scale to your level.

Anyway yes, as mentioned before, when you're "done," go back to your house!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Noted.

I can't seem to get a handle on these Traveler dudes, or whatever the guys are called with the shields on their backs. Two hits from them and I'm dead on this difficulty. Any tips? I can only parry like 1 out of 3 or 4 attacks so maybe I just have to wait until I'm stronger. That wolf part still took some doing but at least I could parry that one ferocious biting attack that kept taking me down. The ogres were a bit of a nuisance too but at least there was some space to fight.

Easily the best God of War ever; I was super into the entire series from the start. SMS really outdid themselves.