Girlfriend wants a 'promise ring'.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
We've been going out for about a year now, and she keeps hinting that she wants a ring for Valentine's Day. Keep in mind--when she says ring, she means promise ring.

I realize that promise ring != engagement ring, but I am still a little nervous about it.
How big of a commitment is that? What would I be getting myself into? What if I got her a ring, and didn't present it like that (ie: I just presented it for what it is, a nice ring).

What do you guys think?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Tizyler
We've been going out for about a year now, and she keeps hinting that she wants a ring for Valentine's Day. Keep in mind--when she says ring, she means promise ring.

I realize that promise ring != engagement ring, but I am still a little nervous about it.
How big of a commitment is that? What would I be getting myself into? What if I got her a ring, and didn't present it like that (ie: I just presented it for what it is, a nice ring).

What do you guys think?

waste of money

L

Lola

first off, how old are you two? what type of ring? (like one with a small diamond, just silver? what?)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
No legal commitment as a result, so what's the big deal? Just don't spend too much on the ring. :p

marulee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2006

What do you guys think?

promise ring 'not=' engagement ring dude!

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
I would only get her one if you really want to commit to her, not because she wants one or is hinting that she wants one.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
first off, how old are you two? what type of ring? (like one with a small diamond, just silver? what?)

We're both about to turn 22.
I haven't actually looked at rings, so I don't know exactly. I was thinking white gold with a small diamond though, yeah.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I've never taken promise rings too seriously. I think I've bought at least two girlfriends whom I dated in the past promise rings. Just buy them a cute little ring to keep them from nagging and things will be good for a while.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
it's as big of a commitment as you choose for it to be...

altho to her, it's going to make her feel more secure and locked up...

benefits or hinders you as much as you let it, but makes her feel even better about the situation... figure out how much (if at all) you want this to change YOUR commitment level (of course, you don't have to tell her in detail) and then go for it. It can't hurt...

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
You sound like you're whipped.

Like butter.

- M4H

You act like this is the first girl in the world who likes jewelry :confused:

L

Lola

I haven't actually looked at rings, so I don't know exactly. I was thinking white gold with a small diamond though, yeah.

well, then i would say, either get a REAL engagment ring or nothing.
I personally think promise rings are a waste and are somewhat dumb.
How do you really feel about her? do you love her? can you see yourself marrying her?

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Looney
22? i think you're a little old for promise rings (about 10 years too old)

I just assumed. Maybe she just wants a ring, lol?

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
Tell her you're saving towards the engagement.. so she can have 1 big engagement or 2 smaller rings.. hahahah

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

What do you guys think?

A promise ring is for high schoolers. It's recockulous in my opinion.

NuAlphaMan

Aug 30, 2006
If you get her a ring, don't get her a diamond!!!!! Just get her a gold or silver ring and say you promise to get her a diamond if you decide to marry her. Problem solved. :)

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005

well, then i would say, either get a REAL engagment ring or nothing.
I personally think promise rings are a waste and are somewhat dumb.
How do you really feel about her? do you love her? can you see yourself marrying her?

I do care about her a lot, and yeah I love her.
I'm starting to wonder if I misinterpreted her signals... Maybe she just wants a ring?

She's not asking for an engagement ring. She has even said stuff like, "oh I saw the cutest ring today in the mall, and it was only $100!". I think she just wants me to show that I care.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Only in a America do we have the ridiculous engagement tradition. Now there are promise rings? Jesus....Let me guess, is this another Hallmark-conceived event or "tradition" just so that they can have a business?

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: krunchykrome

What do you guys think?

A promise ring is for high schoolers. It's recockulous in my opinion.

fortune cookie says... 'simple appeasement of nagging will go a long way'

- in bed.

edit: it's like valentine's day... a marketing scam to get everyone to spend money... but if you do something nice for your SO that shows a little thought... she'll show you something later that'll take a little more effort than normal on her part too.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: slikmunks
it's as big of a commitment as you choose for it to be...

altho to her, it's going to make her feel more secure and locked up...

benefits or hinders you as much as you let it, but makes her feel even better about the situation... figure out how much (if at all) you want this to change YOUR commitment level (of course, you don't have to tell her in detail) and then go for it. It can't hurt...

That is pretty much what I was thinking originally.