Girlfriend wants a 'promise ring'.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Only in a America do we have the ridiculous engagement tradition. Now there are promise rings? Jesus....Let me guess, is this another Hallmark-conceived event or "tradition" just so that they can have a business?

Promise rings have been around for decades. This is not something new.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Promise rings are fvcking stupid. Isnt that the point of an ENGAGEMENT RING???

Tell her you'll get her a promise ring, but the cost of it is being deducted from what you are gonna spend on her engagement ring.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: bignateyk

Tell her you'll get her a promise ring, but the cost of it is being deducted from what you are gonna spend on her engagement ring.

Haha.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
a promise ring is just a large waste of money. a promise ring costs a good sum of cash ($1,000-$1,500) and will prolong her getting an engagement ring that much longer. If you are serious about this girl explain that to her. When you put it in those words she should be in complete agreement. just get her something small priced and shiny from a tiffany's and that should keep her happy for now until you save up for a real ring. I'm trying to save for an engagement ring myself as well and so far most of the good rings i have seen run anywhere from 5,500 -8,000 (so start saving now).

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
do not buy jewelry online... go to a jewelry store, and ask them to show you some rings in your price range. be up front with what you want to spend otherwise they will ALWAYS show you things that are too much and try to pressure you with spending more than what you want.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Tizyler
Originally posted by: bignateyk

Haha.

Laugh now. Soon there will be a "commitment ring" that you will have to buy after you start dating, but you'll have to get her a new one every month to show that you are still committed.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Only in a America do we have the ridiculous engagement tradition. Now there are promise rings? Jesus....Let me guess, is this another Hallmark-conceived event or "tradition" just so that they can have a business?

It's essentially like.. a "going steady ring" ... kind of.

EDIT: Also you can't forget that this is only what the OP thinks. The girlfriend may just want a ring for jewelry purposes (as he also mentioned).

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: BKLounger
a promise ring is just a large waste of money. a promise ring costs a good sum of cash ($1,000-$1,500) and will prolong her getting an engagement ring that much longer. If you are serious about this girl explain that to her. When you put it in those words she should be in complete agreement. just get her something small priced and shiny from a tiffany's and that should keep her happy for now until you save up for a real ring. I'm trying to save for an engagement ring myself as well and so far most of the good rings i have seen run anywhere from 5,500 -8,000 (so start saving now).

damn, you're going all out on a promise ring...

i wasn't thinking about anything more than $100 if that... hahaha

no wonder you think it's a waste of money

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: murphy55d
do not buy jewelry online... go to a jewelry store, and ask them to show you some rings in your price range. be up front with what you want to spend otherwise they will ALWAYS show you things that are too much and try to pressure you with spending more than what you want.

Okay, thanks for the advice :)

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: slikmunks
Originally posted by: BKLounger

damn, you're going all out on a promise ring...

i wasn't thinking about anything more than $100 if that... hahaha

no wonder you think it's a waste of money

My thoughts exactly.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Get an engagement ring because if you break up you're legally entitled to it back.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
When I read the OP three things came to mind:

1. Clingy
2. Material
3. Juvenile

If you two are serious about your relationship going to "the next level" than start looking at your personal finances and saving money for a nice engagement ring (that would probably mean a lot more to her) and possibly a future together.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
I dumped my last girlfriend over the promise ring thing. She kept bringing up marriage, I kept saying I wasn't ready to think about that (we had been dating 3 weeks when she first brought up marriage, 7 months when I dumped her).

All depends on where you are in life.

As has been said though, I agree that promise rings are a waste of money.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

1. Clingy
2. Material
3. Juvenile

If you two are serious about your relationship going to "the next level" than start looking at your personal finances and saving money for a nice engagement ring (that would probably mean a lot more to her) and possibly a future together.

Have you never had a girlfriend that liked jewelry?

I'm not ready for engagement, and neither is she. She just wants a present for Valentine's day that makes her feel loved.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
If she needs a promise ring to prove to her that she's in a committed relationship maybe she has trust issues. Put your foot down and tell her no. =P

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
waste of money

Even though I am usually a romantic guy, I totally agree with this statement.

It doesn't really mean anything unless you want it to mean something, and obviously she is the only one who really wants something so trivial. What exactly are you "promising"? That you will be committed to her until you break up basically. If you don't break up and eventually get married, the real ring is the engagement and wedding band, so what the heck does a promise ring really promise?

All I see is that it is a way for someone to claim ownership of a person even though they haven't made a real prledge to remain together for life. i.e. - you are at a bar and they notice your "promise" ring so they back off. BTW, nobody cares too much about a promise ring. But if you are a guy who will stay committed in a relationship, then what is the purpose of the "promise" ring? If you aren't, a "promise" ring won't make a flippin' difference.

Of course if you are committed to her already, no big deal in getting her what she wants, but I don't think that a "promise" ring really means much except to the girl (if she is the type to make that a big deal <which apparently she is> ).

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: deerslayer
If she needs a promise ring to prove to her that she's in a committed relationship maybe she has trust issues. Put your foot down and tell her no. =P

Yeah, agreed, but I would gently talk it out. Not "put my foot down". Nothing except my principals are set in stone for me. ;)

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

1. Clingy
2. Material
3. Juvenile

Have you never had a girlfriend that liked jewelry?

I'm not ready for engagement, and neither is she. She just wants a present for Valentine's day that makes her feel loved.

no I haven't. I'm not conviced i'd buy a ring(promise or not). earrings, necklace would be a better choice imo.

DarkKnight69

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
first off, how old are you two? what type of ring? (like one with a small diamond, just silver? what?)

We're both about to turn 22.
I haven't actually looked at rings, so I don't know exactly. I was thinking white gold with a small diamond though, yeah.

well, then i would say, either get a REAL engagment ring or nothing.
I personally think promise rings are a waste and are somewhat dumb.
How do you really feel about her? do you love her? can you see yourself marrying her?

I agree that promise rings are a waste, but I still will likely be buying my gf of a year and a half a ring this vday and bday (fall withing a week, ill bundle!) because she likes rings and has very few...

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Only America has engagment rings??? I don't think so.