General VR discussion thread

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm still waiting on '2.0' to get VR - presumably Vive 2.0 or whatever is best then - any updates when that is likely?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm still waiting on '2.0' to get VR - presumably Vive 2.0 or whatever is best then - any updates when that is likely?

Well, the wireless TPcast system for the Vive is slated to be released sometime in Q2 for $249. I would imagine after that, we'll see a Vive "1.5" with that system built-in for maybe $999 (so basically the current Vive with integrated wireless, no cables at all). I don't believe that we will see a Vive 2.0 this year for a few reasons: first, at CES, Vive said that they were currently focused on the ecosystem right now, not a new version. Steam has 500+ VR games on it, Viveport was recently released, Vive has announced the wireless adapter system for the HMD, as well as new trackers.

VR is also so new that it doesn't really make sense to release a second-gen model for a few reasons: first, it was very expensive to get into. Second, even the GTX1080 can struggle with certain VR games, and that's a card that NVIDIA invested billions in developing & really leap-frogged over what they had prior, so the supporting hardware needs to catch up. I'm also not sure if they're going to go to 2.5K screens first, or directly into 4K, again due to hardware support. The ideal is 8K, but the graphics horsepower required to process that is insane by today's standards.

I think this year, for 2017, we'll see more unique trackers (foot trackers, weapons, sports accessories, etc.), the beginning of the influx of AAA games, and quality wireless adapters for the headsets. So as Vive said, basically fleshing out their ecosystem before making the leap to the next version of the hardware. It would be awesome if the Vive 2.0 had built-in wireless with 4K screens. PIMAX is already selling a 4K HMD for $374 on sites like Gearbest. As the technology gets figured out, it will turn into commodities & get cheaper and better, it's just a waiting game for right now!

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

neither oculus or htc is in any rush to come out with a 2.0. it is to their benefit to let the initial costs of developing spread out over some years.

unless some third party(not counting sony) comes out with a hmd with similar performing tracking system a some plus in either (comfort/wearable, display/optics, or xfactor) the market is stable.
it will take either a whole new paradigm on headstraps that is clearly superior, or new concave oled with better non fresnel lenses to solve fov/screendoor/flare, or eye tracking with foveated rendering to push rift/vive into a follow up.
until then 2.0 will be a bump to 2k per eye and maybe tetherless(tpcast still needs a wire to the battery) and some peripherals. neither company can abandon lighthouse/constellation just yet. though if more compelling full room games come out oculus is likely the first to abandon the constellation IR cameras in favor of inside-out optical tracking. jeremy at the Tested podcast tried a racquetball game that made him question his preference for rift due to the limitations of rift roomscale.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I ended up picking up one of those Zotac EN1060s. I considered the 1070, which would better match my existing 1060-equipped desktop HTPC, but the cost difference was nearly $350! I have to say that it's a nice machine, but I wish they would've just made it about half an inch higher, and added slightly better cooling. You can hear the unit while it's turned on at idle, which I'd prefer if it was dead silent at idle. The unit is pretty much 8x8x2.5, so there's plenty of room to add a tiny bit to the height ( 2.5" ) to get a bit better cooling. Heck, I'd even be fine with making it a little wider. As long as it's not bigger than the original Xbox One, I don't see how too many could complain.

Newell was talking about VR tech, and he was saying that eventually VR will leapfrog mobile tech, but he did state that it wouldn't be until 2018-2019. So, my guess is that is when the're planning version 2.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I ended up picking up one of those Zotac EN1060s. I considered the 1070, which would better match my existing 1060-equipped desktop HTPC, but the cost difference was nearly $350! I have to say that it's a nice machine, but I wish they would've just made it about half an inch higher, and added slightly better cooling. You can hear the unit while it's turned on at idle, which I'd prefer if it was dead silent at idle. The unit is pretty much 8x8x2.5, so there's plenty of room to add a tiny bit to the height ( 2.5" ) to get a bit better cooling. Heck, I'd even be fine with making it a little wider. As long as it's not bigger than the original Xbox One, I don't see how too many could complain.

Newell was talking about VR tech, and he was saying that eventually VR will leapfrog mobile tech, but he did state that it wouldn't be until 2018-2019. So, my guess is that is when the're planning version 2.

That's interesting...my EN1070 has been dead-silent so far, even while gaming. You would think that the EN1060 model would be exactly the same. I'd love to test an EN1080 model as well (pricing aside), especially with the liquid-cooling system, but you can't find them anywhere right now. Gigabyte has an interesting alien-insect design (GB-GZ1DTI7-1070-NK-GW) that actually uses a full-sized 1070 card, but is apparently pretty noisy as well. I'm interested to see what comes down the line...I think compact gaming systems are here to stay!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
That's interesting...my EN1070 has been dead-silent so far, even while gaming. You would think that the EN1060 model would be exactly the same. I'd love to test an EN1080 model as well (pricing aside), especially with the liquid-cooling system, but you can't find them anywhere right now. Gigabyte has an interesting alien-insect design (GB-GZ1DTI7-1070-NK-GW) that actually uses a full-sized 1070 card, but is apparently pretty noisy as well. I'm interested to see what comes down the line...I think compact gaming systems are here to stay!

Since the units are the same size, it might have a bit to do with ambient noise. My place is pretty much dead silent, and that makes it pretty easy to hear any fan noise. I may also be a bit more perceptive (or rather, just annoyed by) fan noise, which makes me single it out a bit more. My main desktop uses all low speed fans and it's pretty much inaudible even while gaming. The only time I ever know it's working is when my GTX 1080 decides to randomly ramp up its fans for no apparent reason for just a second.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Little point to 2.0 this year for those hoping for better resolutions. Most people can't even play that well with the current resolution. Plus the fact that VR is not really doing too hot doesn't help. Rift closing demo stations, Sony canceling titles, cutting marketing budget and seemingly a little silent for the platform like they once were with Vita not long after release. Barely profitable but not the consumer base needed push high budget titles and investor's interests.

Many indications point to 2018. Also Gabe Newell made some mention of that year stating that in 2018, he expects integrated wireless VR. So that's another clue from industry insiders on what they may be thinking. Though I still don't expect 4k resolution by that time.

This year for Vive, they will offer a new head strap with built in Headphones just like the Rift. They will offer the wireless kit which currently is only 1.5 hours of battery life...pathetic imo especially once you consider charging cycles will eat into that 1.5 hours quickly. New Vive controllers are hopeful but they are still working on the details.

Not a fan of Vive myself. I just got the Rift and prefer it much better but my friends Vive...he doesn't even play it anymore but I think his base stations got bricked from that slew of bad firmware updates a couple months back that mysteriously disappeared from the list without HTC accepting blame.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Little point to 2.0 this year for those hoping for better resolutions. Most people can't even play that well with the current resolution. Plus the fact that VR is not really doing too hot doesn't help. Rift closing demo stations, Sony canceling titles, cutting marketing budget and seemingly a little silent for the platform like they once were with Vita not long after release. Barely profitable but not the consumer base needed push high budget titles and investor's interests.

The problem with Sony is that their platform isn't bad, but their motion tracking implementation was lazy and hampers the experience. Although, the worst part is actually the same as other platforms: software. There just aren't that many good games to get. The one nice advantage of the PC platforms is that it gets a lot of random, cheap things that add a bit of value. (Some of it is just plain, ol' garbage too.)

Honestly, I think Sony jumped into the game a bit too early, and cut too many corners by using the Move platform.

This year for Vive, they will offer a new head strap with built in Headphones just like the Rift. They will offer the wireless kit which currently is only 1.5 hours of battery life...pathetic imo especially once you consider charging cycles will eat into that 1.5 hours quickly. New Vive controllers are hopeful but they are still working on the details.

That's just the default battery. Unfortunately, given the constant, high data rate required, it's not a big surprise that the battery life isn't stellar.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I just had the most intense experience in VR. In Vrchat, someone build a huge minecraft world with some giant buildings, towers etc.
I picked the highest tower I saw and went out to climb it.

The higher I climbed (it took a loooong time), the more I started to freak. Sweat on my hands, this weird weak feeling in the legs. Considered to abort it, couldn't take it any longer. I am dead serious. Any movement I did I freaked out "because I could fall down". I NEVER experienced any of this in any game or app I had seen in VR to date. Fortunately, at some point my client froze so I had to respawn.

My theory is that this was because it took very long and with each step up you were forced to look down, making the illusion "too real", despite the minecraft world very abstract. The movement was also too fast how he set it in this world, so that I had to move especially carefully with the controller not to "fall" over the edge every time I reached the next step. Seriously...that was crazy.

Add: So I finally managed to climb this tower at the second attempt, I was still sweating like crazy and basically moving myself up there inch-wise and extremely carefully, likely because halfway up the tower that "stair case" didn't have side-walls and there was always a danger that I fall down, with the wonky controller movement. At the top, I could NOT bring myself to jump down (I know, sounds ridiculous), I felt like I would "betray" my body if I do even if my mind *knows* it's not real.
Realizing the awesome parallel to that scene in The Matrix now....

To give you an idea..some might know these Youtube videos of these crazy Russians climbing buildings..and the feeling you get just from watching the video..that's how it felt...intense...

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Oculus just price-dropped.

Rift + Touch bundle - $598
Rift headset - $499
Touch controllers - $99

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
LG's vr dev kit prototype
lg_vr_headset_flip_adi_robertson.jpg

lg_vr_headset_adi_robertson.0.jpg

probably the first shot fired across the bow of oculus as far as cementing steam vr as the default standard. its effectively LG's dk1 and it is already benefiting from being able to see rift and vive's weakpoints (single cable usb3 c for power/track/vid over dp; flipup and dist adjustment). specs are absolutely in flux but they are definitely exploring the options of refractive lenses and wider fov. the uploadvr interview covers some of the wireless plans. they seem to have gotten feedback on integrated audio from the conference.

Tested interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re7QgkoQ5Rc
Uploadvr interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDu1msS8wk
http://www.pcgamer.com/lgs-vr-headset-might-be-our-new-favorite/
http://www.roadtovr.com/lg-ez-vr-headset-steamvr-hands-on-gdc-2017/

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Question for u guys, will b getting about $1k Amazon gift card. Thinking of upgrading to make for a better VR experience. CPU, GPU upgrades? My sig has my rig specs....

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
1080 Ti would probably be the most noticeable upgrade if you're really itching to spend money... assuming you already have a Vive or Rift?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I am seriously considering a 1080ti. That is if I can actually get one not all marked up. I'm not going to pay people's price gouging.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
LG's vr dev kit prototype
lg_vr_headset_flip_adi_robertson.jpg

lg_vr_headset_adi_robertson.0.jpg

probably the first shot fired across the bow of oculus as far as cementing steam vr as the default standard. its effectively LG's dk1 and it is already benefiting from being able to see rift and vive's weakpoints (single cable usb3 c for power/track/vid over dp; flipup and dist adjustment). specs are absolutely in flux but they are definitely exploring the options of refractive lenses and wider fov. the uploadvr interview covers some of the wireless plans. they seem to have gotten feedback on integrated audio from the conference.

Tested interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re7QgkoQ5Rc
Uploadvr interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzDu1msS8wk
http://www.pcgamer.com/lgs-vr-headset-might-be-our-new-favorite/
http://www.roadtovr.com/lg-ez-vr-headset-steamvr-hands-on-gdc-2017/
This is great news. I'm excited about the resolution bump, the single cable and new lenses.