• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

General VR discussion thread

Page 93 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
There is another fun easter egg in Alyx, you can find Emerald 3dxp video cards in Russell's office. :D I had a Diamond Voodoo2 back in the day.

I also played Deus Ex MD VR. It's a short tech demo where you walk through a few places in the original game, but it makes me wish for a full blown Deus Ex game in VR. The map detail (like the original game) is fantastic, even better than Alyx.

Reactions: lakedude

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Nightmare getting Deus Ex VR running. Would not work with Virtual Desktop. Complained about Steam.

When it finally loaded not one button on the controller worked at all.

I did get to see the intro scene that shows the controller mapping for the Vive.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I had a Diamond Voodoo2 back in the day.
Evidently I had a Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1), add on card that did 3D only which also required a seperate 2D card. When the combo cards that could do both came out I didn't trust them. In spite of this it looks like I also had a Diamond Viper V550 card.

The Monster 3D came with a softpack of games on optical disk. Never will forget the sound of the car in WHIPLASH when it did a loop "Woaoaoaoaoaooaa". I still have the disks but the hardware is long gone.20210411_124446.jpg

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
So a 5-year update on VR from the start of this thread:

1. I'm still using my original Vive, as well as an Oculus Quest 2 (both with apps & Virtual Desktop for wireless PC gaming). This lets my wife & I game together, which is cool!

2. I still really like VR. However, I feel like the VR game market has stagnated (again). It's a chicken & egg problem: developers go where the money is, which is mobile, console, and desktop gaming. VR is anticipated to quadruple in market size in the next 5 years, which is good news, but for right now...there are a few really neat games that have come out & are coming out, such as MS Flight Sim, but it's not like we're getting huge regular releases to really look forward to. imo this is what killed the original Nintendo Wii...a few amazing games & then it just kind of died off, and as humans, we all get bored & want new stuff!. Such a great platform (I still have my original Wii!) but just lack of development made it slide off the radar. They've done a better job with the Switch, plus the Switch is mobile, which helps.

3. I think one of the difficulties is that most VR games fall into a few very specific categories, so most VR games feel like a variation of other VR games (motion with cars/planes/boats/spaceships, walkaround games, shooting games, rhythm games, etc.), and even though regular Steam games also exist in categories, it feels broader when you're using a screen instead of VR. I believe this is partly due to limited physical space, body motion, and so on. There are some really excellent examples, such as Alyx, Lone Echo, etc. but it's not often that we get AAA type of games for VR these days.

4. I think AR is going to be huge, once they figure it out. I have several customers testing AR solutions for IT projects, so I've gotten to play with a lot of random goodies like Vuzix, iPads with LIDAR, etc. I think they're going to be able to figure out an affordable, not-terrible AR glasses setup within the next couple of years, sort of like the great job they did with the Quest 2, price-wise & quality-wise. I have a couple AR projects in development & while the technology isn't quite there yet (nor the price, looking at you MS Hololens!), I think it holds a lot of potential & promise.

5. I think we still have a long way to go with VR to get it where it needs to be. We need Retina-quality screens where you can't see the pixels. We need an affordable omni-treadmill platform that realistically fits & can be installed in most living/game rooms. We need better finger detection (I really wish Oculus had gone with Leap Motion, as I have the USB version & it's absolutely fantastic at tracking fingers!). I think with Retina-quality screens, that would be a huge boost for Virtual Desktops for WFH people, because you could sit on your lazy boy recliner with a lap pad holding a wireless keyboard & mouse and have multiple screens, email apps, whatever floating in VR without having to be locked to your desk, so there's huge business potential there.

TL;DR: Still fun, got cheaper/better, wish there were more AAA games, looking forward to better VR hardware & cheaper AR hardware in the future.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think the PC VR market is becoming niche, and most of the development now seems to be focused on Oculus. PC VR will always exist as a high end option but I'm not sure if we'll get more big budget releases specifically designed for it like Alyx. There will be ports from Oculus and sim/vehicle games that work equally well in VR or flatscreen.

Evidently I had a Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1), add on card that did 3D only which also required a seperate 2D card. When the combo cards that could do both came out I didn't trust them. In spite of this it looks like I also had a Diamond Viper V550 card.

The Monster 3D came with a softpack of games on optical disk. Never will forget the sound of the car in WHIPLASH when it did a loop "Woaoaoaoaoaooaa". I still have the disks but the hardware is long gone.
You have Descent 2 there as well, looks like the OEM version with 8 levels. One of the best games ever, I played and modded it for many years.

I had a Diamond V550 too. I recall it came with Motorhead, which had some cool graphical effects for its time.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Some of the Alyx mods are amazing. I have been playing Return to Rapture, which is a full port of Bioshock. It uses the regular Alyx enemies and guns but the environments are fantastic. The game is a perfect fit for VR. C17yscape is also very impressive.

ASK THE COMMUNITY