GeForce Titan coming end of February

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
So if I understand this correctly, this Titan is, model-wise, going to be basically what the GTX 680 is now? ie, the most powerful Nvidia model before you go to their dual GPU? What we would call GTX 780 IF they followed the same naming?

If that's correct...$900? When the GTX 680 was $500 something? Is AMD's 8970 (again, extrapolating to the same naming convention) going to jump like that?

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
So if I understand this correctly, this Titan is, model-wise, going to be basically what the GTX 680 is now? ie, the most powerful Nvidia model before you go to their dual GPU? What we would call GTX 780 IF they followed the same naming?

If that's correct...$900? When the GTX 680 was $500 something? Is AMD's 8970 (again, extrapolating to the same naming convention) going to jump like that?

You are correct with your assumptions assuming the rumor is true. And no one knows what and will do, or what naming scheme nvidia will use for the rest of their upcoming cards.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

It all depends really, if AMD releases a similar performing card I can seem them raising the price up to around the same level to try and make some money for a change. Then when nobody is buying them because of all the baseless negativity (not the few deserved negative things about their hardware) surrounding their brand they will lower their prices.

The issue is that if nvidia is priced at $900 then AMD can release a card that is as fast for $800 and say, look at what a bargain this is. Either way we're all getting robbed.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Nvidia's Geforce Titan pricing can only be corrected by a strong response by AMD in the form of HD 8970. if the HD 8970 performs 85% of the Geforce Titan and is priced at USD 500 then Nvidia will be forced to react. But seems like Nvidia will have atleast a month of sales at this USD 900 price before AMD launches the HD 8970. frankly the price is ridiculous.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I have a feeling if it's $900 there won't be a lot of them. That's the only way to justify that price. If it's a typical mass produced product the price is ludicrous.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The entire price scale on Nvidia's side has been increased massively. Putting yield issues aside, we have been buying mid range GPUs for high end prices. That leaves no place for a real high end card, but here is comes anyway and its being regarded as an unusually high end card (according to these rumors) and will be outside of the GTX branding all together. I do hope that AMD has a good 8000 series and I at least expect them to release a true high end card like they did with 7000 series. Maybe then Nvidia will come back down out of the clouds. If these Titan cards were $600 it would make a lot more sense and the fact that the 690 costs $1000 is no excuse. The pricing scale is too high, so none of it makes sense.

parvadomus

Dec 11, 2012
It would be so damn good that AMD came with a pure gaming oriented gpu for 89xx series, and blow away that GK110 monster, just after being released :)

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
It would be so damn good that AMD came with a pure gaming oriented gpu for 89xx series, and blow away that GK110 monster, just after being released :)

Define "pure" gaming GPU.
You do know that GPGPU is getting into more and more games right?

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Depends on how fast Titan actually is. Plus the usual "fastest card on the market" markup (barring MGPU cards of course).

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Depends on how fast Titan actually is. Plus the usual "fastest card on the market" markup (barring MGPU cards of course).

The GTX 680 was the fastest on the market when it launched (albeit not by much) and it was still only $500. Seems like the the fastest card markup has taken a massive leap.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The GTX 680 was the fastest on the market when it launched (albeit not by much) and it was still only $500. Seems like the the fastest card markup has taken a massive leap.

Or Titan is more than we think it is. Maybe it is a "titanic" leap in performance we just don't know yet. :p

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
The new consoles are going to have increased memory so we may need more on pc's soon enough.

I think this misses the point of the question, which is who needs 6gb of V-RAM? Since the new gen consoles aren't likely to be developed with 4K displays in mind, rather more likely 1080p, I'll go out on a limb and guess they won't have what would be the equivalent of 6gb V-RAM. They might push an across the board upward shift on what how much V-RAM is needed in general, but not that much.

I think the answer is that currently nobody needs 6gb for gaming. Maybe for multi-monitor, but I doubt even that.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
The new consoles are going to have increased memory so we may need more on pc's soon enough.

More memory than their predecessors, but still less memory than a modern PC... Or even older than modern PC for that matter.

parvadomus

Dec 11, 2012
Define "pure" gaming GPU.
You do know that GPGPU is getting into more and more games right?

I mean a better ROPs/shaders ratio than 7970. Less transistors in DP performance. I agree about gpgpu is getting more into games, but only single precision is needed for gaming.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I mean a better ROPs/shaders ratio than 7970. Less transistors in DP performance. I agree about gpgpu is getting more into games, but only single precision is needed for gaming.

Well, if AMD is serious about getting into GPGPU HPC then their next top GPU will be more of the same.

If they care more about increasing their desktop GPU market share, then they will offer top end GPUs more like the 670/680.

I don't know what's going on with AMD's graphics group right now (except that they are executing well for the CPU Group's APU right now).

Jstn7477

Jun 1, 2012
Seems like it has potential to be a monster, but the price is a monster as well. We'll see what happens when it's released.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Curious to see how this guy performs. I bet the power usage and heat will be pretty beasty. I also hope that at that price tag NVidia builds the card well and gives us some control over voltage.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
If it performs like a beast, I could care less about power consumption. The only time a video cards power consumption is a factor is if there's a competing product that has comprable performance but lower power consumption.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Awesome. I like tech like this. I have more power in my CPU than a super computer from 20 years ago. So I like to get a preview of what tomorrow's silicon may be capable of. :)

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Ah, thank you. This VAT tax sounds awful. Any way around it ? (legally)

Sure, if you're a diplomat - then you can reclaim the tax on a good, or at times have that tax waived at source.

Regarding 'obsoletion of hardware' - I don't feel it as much these days. Perhaps I'm not playing the most demanding games, but I bought 580 SLI when it came out with an overclocked 2600K and I feel no need to upgrade at all, playing at 2560x1440.

I'm waiting for some kind of paradigm shift in hardware - a real leap - that would motivate me to do a serious watercooling build too.

On 'prices' - people buy designer handbags for more than a high end gaming PC - those with vices often have different ones. I'm not sure that there is an attributable value to one over the other (i.e., spending 5000 Euros on a gaming pc versus two pieces from Bottega Veneta), so why there should be any clashes over how one chooses to spend his/her money is a bit strange to me. Also, it's an enthusiast forum. From my perspective, Adam is not 'showing off' - and in fact, I value his gaming perspective given the recent debates over microstutter and his having owned and used 7970 trifire and never voicing a complaint that I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.