Gays and Their Damn Wedding Cakes! 12/5 for SCOTUS Arguments

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
That's the problem with Conservatism. If you are consistent about applying it, society doesn't work. So what you get are hacks and exceptions just to make Conservatism not collapse under the weight of its own inconsistencies. Not all too different from other failed ideologies like Communism.
At least they're sinless.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
no one forced hobby lobby's owners to do anything, hobby lobby's owners decided to start a business of their own volition. so, why is it always the case that the employee needs to go somewhere else, rather than the employer needs to abide by the generally applicable laws duly enacted by the legislature?

oh, that's right, business owners are better than us. it's right there in Mark 10:17-23

You're needed in Washington.

are you the return of the toaster marrying guy?

My toaster only has two slots but they're long.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I think a private business should be allowed serve who or what they like.
Dont bring gays into it.
Dont bring coloreds into it.
Keep things simple.

This. If you refuse to serve someone you lose their business. If you are the one refused service then go spend your money elsewhere. This is why I would never want the thankless job of being a judge. Who wants/likes to be told what to do?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This. If you refuse to serve someone you lose their business. If you are the one refused service then go spend your money elsewhere. This is why I would never want the thankless job of being a judge. Who wants/likes to be told what to do?

That worked really well for black people in the Jim Crow south.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I’ll tell you if SCOTUS rules in the cake makers favor, I’ve got a number of “strongly held religious beliefs” concerning manadatory arbitration.

7G3zITG.png

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
That worked really well for black people in the Jim Crow south.

History has shown us that the Jim Crow laws were bad, we know that now. Today, they would never fly. One of our biggest problems these days is that we are too easily offended. I'll say what I said before in a different way: If store A does not want my money .... store B will. Eventually, store A may go OOB because of their business decision to only serve certain customers. Stop legislating what the market should ultimately take care of ...

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
History has shown us that the Jim Crow laws were bad, we know that now. Today, they would never fly. One of our biggest problems these days is that we are too easily offended. I'll say what I said before in a different way: If store A does not want my money .... store B will. Eventually, store A may go OOB because of their business decision to only serve certain customers. Stop legislating what the market should ultimately take care of ...

So basically the same argument that was made against the voting rights act recently at the Supreme Court. ‘Sure things were bad then but they are all better now.’

How did that work out?

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Mammon = money.

Had to look that up. Wow. When I try to picture folks like that, they're at a cardless table, scooping gold coins toward themselves.

Replace modest with greed. Pockets lined with paisley silk, finer than a blue suit, better lined.
Only the saints, as outlined in the bible and not by organized religion, are without sin.
Must walk their path. Purity. Angelic.

Last edited:

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Then you get parts of the country racially, culturally and religiously segregating themselves and not serving outsiders as a sure-fire way to keep them away. Literal no-go zones. It is not a good idea.

Reactions: mikeymikec

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-court-baker-gay-weddings-20171205-story.html

Judge Kennedy shocked me with this statement and he is correct.

"It seems to me that the state in its position here has been neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips' religious beliefs.

then Roberts and Alito said this.which is another valid point.

Both Roberts and Alito noted that at the time Phillips was penalized for refusing service to Craig and Mullins, Colorado did not allow same-sex marriage.

"So if Craig and Mullins had gone to a state office and said we want a marriage license, they would not have been accommodated," Alito said. Yet the state said it was a "grave wrong" for Phillips to not make them a cake, he added.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
You are very correct sir. Jesus warned that a man cannot worship God and money and they love their money. He also warned that at the time of the end that the church would leave its first love hence the apostasy. Organized religion has been doing this for many years and its become the defacto standard in place of actual Christianity.
Go ahead and speak your mind brother because the right wing religious fluffers certainly will.

actually you are the only one in this thread that is on a religions rampage, preach in another thread and stop mucking this one up with your bullshit. we get it you hate Christians. stay on topic or move on.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Then you get parts of the country racially, culturally and religiously segregating themselves and not serving outsiders as a sure-fire way to keep them away. Literal no-go zones. It is not a good idea.

doom and gloom much? news flash, we have that now in very small pockets in nearly every city.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
My brother and his girlfriend just left. She's a Christian who espouses love and acceptance. She always says that she loves gay people (and of course she was sitting right next to one). I had to show them that SNL video about all this that was shared above. I knew my brother would find it funny, and he did laugh a lot, and I thought she would too. She didn't though, and got upset, angrily echoing the video that humorously said that Christians are the most oppressed people in the country. So we talked about that, and she revealed that she thought 95% of Christians are intolerant bigots toward her for not being married to the man she lives with. She made fun of them. I asked her why then did she think the video was anything but funny. She didn't really answer, but said that it was because they're angry at me. Interesting stuff. Christians persecuting other Christians. Such intolerant times...

My brother who'll take the other side of anything said that SNL sows division with videos like that. Hmmm. I just thought it was a funny take on bigotry, exposing its ridiculousness, like Archie Bunker.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
actually you are the only one in this thread that is on a religions rampage, preach in another thread and stop mucking this one up with your bullshit. we get it you hate Christians. stay on topic or move on.
no, he is sickened by religion, and how modern christians cant get over religion and be who they claim to be.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Perhaps you need to put your glasses on and reread the topic at hand as religious hatred is at the very core of this thread along with the hatred you yourself are exhibiting which is the spirit of Satan.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Nov 8, 2012
Who could've guessed he was full of shit when he says it was only about weddings.
Who could have guessed that others would see the publicity of what happened last time and continue to try and troll him with other politically divisive things.