Games are suddenly slower after some time after boot up?

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
When I boot up to Windows 10 and start gaming immediately, performance is as expected (480FPS in osu! for reference). But after some time, FPS drops and stays to 200 fps with medium CPU load! The CPU isn't trying to achieve maximum performance at all!
System Specs:
Intel i5 6200U 2.8 Ghz Turbo
8gb DDR3 Ram
No dedicated graphics card (Integrated Intel Graphics 520)
Using ThrottleStop to stop Throttling (In hopes that it would work)
Clock speeds are always Turbo Boosted

I think the main suspect is thermal throttling, but I may be wrong since even on idle (30 - 40C) the computer goes to this state without notice but in frame drops.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You are still well beyond the framerate your screen will display. There are also way to many variables (what game, online, etc) to even hint at a problem with your computer itself.

Also, if you are playing a game, your CPU will not be at idle. You want a program like CPUID HW Monitor if you want to see what temps you are getting under load.

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
You are still well beyond the framerate your screen will display. There are also way to many variables (what game, online, etc) to even hint at a problem with your computer itself.

Also, if you are playing a game, your CPU will not be at idle. You want a program like CPUID HW Monitor if you want to see what temps you are getting under load.
Even in games where I do achieve 60 fps, drops down to 30 - 40 for no particular reason. I monitor my CPU and the temps seem fine (60 - 80 C).

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Could it be throttling at 80C? Or perhaps it is briefly hitting 90+C then throttling really quickly and the temperature sensor isnt catching it. Try playing with your power options which should cap your max cpu speed and therefore automatically provide more power for the graphics.

47987d1406757113-power-options-add-remove-min-max-processor-state-min-max_processor_state.png

The one you want to play with is the Maximum processor state. I would start at 80% and change it by 5% increments and see what gets you the best average framerates. If this works I can show you how to make a shortcut that will toggle different desired percentages in one click.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Even in games where I do achieve 60 fps, drops down to 30 - 40 for no particular reason. I monitor my CPU and the temps seem fine (60 - 80 C).
What are you using to monitor temps? What games?

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
What are you using to monitor temps? What games?
I downloaded HWMonitor and here is what i got. My normal graphics clock is 1000Mhz which is normal. But when i was gaming, the graphics clock suddenly underclocks to 300Mhz. Now I know the problem but i don't know how to fix it! It's not the processors fault.
EDIT: Going to Balanced and back to Performance power settings seems to fix the issue. On further inspection, the graphics is being undervolted and underclocked with half power. I'm still curious on what causes this.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chances are good, that it's simply a buggy Intel iGPU driver. They aren't known for extensive compatibility or stability with games, especially newer games.

Are you using Chrome, or opening and closing web pages when this happens?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
You also still haven't told us what games. Some games just don't run smoothly. IE Ghost Recon Wildlands has issues with framerate drops when it's saving.

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
You also still haven't told us what games. Some games just don't run smoothly. IE Ghost Recon Wildlands has issues with framerate drops when it's saving.
Globally. Since the graphics clock and voltage are being capped. But I already fixed the problem.

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
Chances are good, that it's simply a buggy Intel iGPU driver. They aren't known for extensive compatibility or stability with games, especially newer games.

Are you using Chrome, or opening and closing web pages when this happens?
What's the correlation between Chrome and drivers? Yes I use Chrome while and before this happens.

URSkrub

Mar 22, 2017
I vote for heat, as part of the problem.
Not exactly. Even if my CPU is on idle temperatures (30 Celsius) it still begins to underclock. The previous post told me to reinstall or update drivers as it's mostly a driver problem. But i can't install the drivers atm because they simply won't install