#Gamergate, the war on nerds, and the corruption of the left and the free press

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
It's already been written and is standard fare in every college/university "social" related course. Heck, these days you'll get this garbage forced on you even for STEM fields.
Rules+for+Radicals.jpg

How many hours a day do you spend hiding under your bed?

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
It's already been written and is standard fare in every college/university "social" related course. Heck, these days you'll get this garbage forced on you even for STEM fields.

You don't exactly seem university much less STEM material so it can only be assumed that belief comes from the same place you get info about sjws.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
How many hours a day do you spend hiding under your bed?

You don't exactly seem university much less STEM material so it can only be assumed that belief comes from the same place you get info about sjws.

Yet another example (of so very many) of not arguing a point/stance, let alone providing any data to back up that position. Just call your opponent "coward" and "stupid" and any point they've made will be forgotten. Repeat the insult often and loud enough, it might even stick!

All right out of the book in question - good on you for following your rulebook so diligently!

Abundant personal reports to be had about what your average university campus is turning into thanks to people like yourselves... but you've already said you never watch videos with an opposing view. Your loss.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yet another example (of so very many) of not arguing a point/stance, let alone providing any data to back up that position. Just call your opponent "coward" and "stupid" and any point they've made will be forgotten. Repeat the insult often and loud enough, it might even stick!

All right out of the book in question - good on you for following your rulebook so diligently!

Abundant personal reports to be had about what your average university campus is turning into thanks to people like yourselves... but you've already said you never watch videos with an opposing view. Your loss.

It's basically a concise way of informing you that the people you hear this from aren't really university material either, even if a few somehow got themselves into a trade program. It's largely a bunch of quite literal dummies telling themselves they've got it all figured out, with predictable consequences.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

It's cute how worked up you get over something so silly.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
It's cute how worked up you get over something so silly.

Using their own lingo to describe his response, Maxi was "triggered". Again... prior Maxi triggering incidents litter this thread so we know that he has had this condition for some time now. Of course he will let us know that we're wrong but just ignore the poor guy, he's in denial about his Gamergate Social Justice Warrior status.

It's hoped that one day a cure can be found for these pitiful... ahem, men like Maxi.

Nov 8, 2012
I dislike Sarkeesian and don't believe she faces any more online harassment than any other prominent asshole, but I'm not sure how much that means. Could they actually identify the people supposedly harassing her?

I thought it was obvious from the start? Sarkeesian has been trolling from the start, you will find all kinds of videos where she was taking seminars on how to make money and she literally says "I don't really like playing video games", quick google will show.

So anytime she makes another video, tweets another twatter, she is ultimately trolling just to get more bleeding hearts to give her money. She is highly successful, and I commend her for making a business out of stupid people. After all, a fool and their money are soon parted - it's just a matter of whom is going to take it.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
I thought it was obvious from the start? Sarkeesian has been trolling from the start, you will find all kinds of videos where she was taking seminars on how to make money and she literally says "I don't really like playing video games", quick google will show.

So anytime she makes another video, tweets another twatter, she is ultimately trolling just to get more bleeding hearts to give her money. She is highly successful, and I commend her for making a business out of stupid people. After all, a fool and their money are soon parted - it's just a matter of whom is going to take it.

If that's all it was I'd be okay with it too for the same reasons.
I think all the media attention and a taste of power got to her head though leading to her going to the UN, leading groups to put feminism above their own interests, pressuring businesses like Intel to support her causes, etc, etc.

For those who've forgotten (or pretended to never know) the "online harassment campaign" mentioned everywhere (including her wiki) consisted mainly of "your videos are terribly wrong and here is why..." *sob* :(

GG-Netscape

Aug 3, 2016
Veteran game dev Troy Leavitt did a pretty amazing video on GamerGate. He described GamerGate as a "revolt against identity politics," which I'd say is pretty accurate (though it's also about ethics).

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Veteran game dev Troy Leavitt did a pretty amazing video on GamerGate. He described GamerGate as a "revolt against identity politics," which I'd say is pretty accurate (though it's also about ethics).

Considering the identity politics that Trump, the Alt-Right, and many of their supporters are pushing, what about trying to get Gamergaters, current or past, to come out and speak out against them and their use of identity politics?

Mar 11, 2004

And yet you guys can't see how exactly that happened with your side as well? It absolutely was co-opted and then fully hijacked by groups that are so very clearly doing exactly what you're complaining about. But I guess you have no problem at all with that? Or like so many others you'll claim that you have to "fight fire with fire" as a means to justify being massive hypocrites?

Oh no, she took seminars on how to make money? I'm sure none of the GamerGate proponents did that. I bet they were all perfectly ethical people. Oh, I guess they're not journalists though, so that absolves them of all criticism for any transgressions? Gee, seeing as how she came up with a whole series of videos pointing out and criticizing various aspects that are prevalent in games, I wonder why she might say she doesn't really enjoy playing games? But then I guess all analysis is junk unless you actually personally enjoy whatever it is you're analyzing? Because if you don't like it, then your opinions are automatically invalidated. Yep, makes total sense. Except for when

A fool and their money, and yet, despite all the bitching about game companies supporting feminists and being more considerate, somehow gaming has only grown economically? That's odd. Surely gamers wouldn't be massive hypocrites and decry and "boycott" something, only to actually buy it and play it? I've never seen that happen before, ever. Not with Madden, not with Call of Duty, not with any games.

And yet, when other groups do exactly the same thing you're totally fine with it? Also, apparently you've been getting non-stop trolled your whole lives (at minimum you got trolled by all feminists everywhere, the media, game companies, and many other companies, at least according to how you seem to view this situation). But damnit, this woman talking about video games is where you make your stand!

If that's all it was I'd be okay with it too for the same reasons.
I think all the media attention and a taste of power got to her head though leading to her going to the UN, leading groups to put feminism above their own interests, pressuring businesses like Intel to support her causes, etc, etc.

For those who've forgotten (or pretended to never know) the "online harassment campaign" mentioned everywhere (including her wiki) consisted mainly of "your videos are terribly wrong and here is why..." *sob* :(

Above their own interests? What groups were those? You mean businesses that realized it makes fiscal sense not to back the group whose method for "disagreeing" often tended toward sending rape/death threats? Intel supported that after GamerGate proponents tried to get them pull sponsorship when they didn't agree with someone, and then got pissed off when it backfired on them. They even outright tried to claim they were the ones being attacked and marginalized by them, yet anyone with even a remotely rational look could easily see how bogus that was, and hence why Intel swung the other way.

Yeah, let's just ignore all the literal threats made against her or other women in gaming before that even happened. Or wait, they were all done by her friends as false flags, right? Oh wait, no see that just proves that it wasn't because they were women, as gamers had been levying threats for years already, right? I'm sure they even threatened rape against a guy before too. See they're full on progressive and completely bias free!

Seriously, you're now trying to claim that the online harassment never even happened?

Haha, wow, that might be the most ridiculous of your delusions as literally everyone can very easily see how comments anywhere are almost nothing at all like that, and certainly not on Youtube.

Will this ever stop the stupid loop it is in? Remember when it had nothing at all to do with gender or sex, it was just about "ethics in journalism"? But now, "well it was because this gender nonconformity and openness to sexual orientation is being forced" that suddenly it absolutely is about those things. And if identity politics or rather them being made an issue was such an problem then why did they get so pissed off about what defines gamers? They completely ignored how people were saying that gamer being defined as a nerdy typically white or asian male aged what 10-24 was over, because the actual makeup of gamers as a demographic is far more diverse. Yet they outright resisted that and just got more angry because it so obviously was just contorted to that to try and bring in more people and legitimize it in the face of what it actually began as.

Also they're so pissed off about the media and politics why did they call it GamerGate, as senselessly calling something ___gate is literally just a political/media trope that makes no sense. Yet they were the ones that let people like Milo hijack their issue as he attempted to woo them into his sphere of influence. And it got mass media appeal because of the severity of using rape and death threats and posting people's personal info (for another example, see Pizzagate and why that went from fringe nutjob thing to being talked about in the mass media once a guy showed up to that pizzeria with guns).

The simple fact is, they openly courted and pushed for all the things they claimed they were pissed off about, but when it served their interests it was perfectly fine. And they ignored all the other instances where what they were going after specific people for, was being done by others that they ignored completely. I've pointed out before that Penny Arcade was doing basically everything that a lot of people kept claiming was their actual issue and yet I basically never saw them do anything but brush it off if not outright ignore it.

If people are so concerned about ethics, then why did they discard them in their actions? Moral crusades are total nonsense when you resort to the tactics you claim you're fighting against. That you can't see the blatant hypocrisy that was rampant, while condemning the other side for theirs, you are absolutely exactly what you're claiming is the problem.

Mar 11, 2004
Considering the identity politics that Trump, the Alt-Right, and many of their supporters are pushing, what about trying to get Gamergaters, current or past, to come out and speak out against them and their use of identity politics?

Of course not, because many of them are now supporters of those people/groups. Much like how they couldn't see they were doing all the things they kept saying they were railing against, they are getting taken for a ride by those groups as well because they know how easy it is to exploit their senseless anger and (willful) ignorance. They will dismiss their hypocrisy by saying they're just doing what was being done against them while claiming it is totally different and are going to put a stop to it.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
^^^ for all your ranting until your fingers fall off, sadly (for you), most of the "threats to women" were either proven to be blatant false/hoaxes, or were perpetrated by themselves just to generate sympathy for their "side".

I see that despite all that, you're still sticking hard to the narrative that male gamers are misogynistic, violent pigs that need to have their games changed to reflect less "toxic masculinity", etc.

You're wrong. That whole argument throughout has been wrong since the beginning and is still wrong now.

Women are not under threat.

Men are not monsters.

Your indoctriniators lied to you.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
^^^ for all your ranting until your fingers fall off, sadly (for you), most of the "threats to women" were either proven to be blatant false/hoaxes, or were perpetrated by themselves just to generate sympathy for their "side".

I see that despite all that, you're still sticking hard to the narrative that male gamers are misogynistic, violent pigs that need to have their games changed to reflect less "toxic masculinity", etc.

You're wrong. That whole argument throughout has been wrong since the beginning and is still wrong now.

Women are not under threat.

Men are not monsters.

Your indoctriniators lied to you.
Most? How many is most?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
The funny thing is, for all the sturm und drang, GG hasn't amounted to much. Sarkeesian/Wu/Quinn and their like are still doing their things, and have a larger platform for their ideas than they did before. Games are becoming more inclusive of women/minorities, but you don't hear much griping about it. And as for the "actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" claims? Well, aside from being a punchline, they didn't change much... a few tweaks to game pubs' editorial policies and that's about it. They did manage to get Intel to start a $300 million diversity push and helped spur Twitter's tougher abuse controls, though!

GG-Netscape

Aug 3, 2016
The funny thing is, for all the sturm und drang, GG hasn't amounted to much. Sarkeesian/Wu/Quinn and their like are still doing their things, and have a larger platform for their ideas than they did before. Games are becoming more inclusive of women/minorities, but you don't hear much griping about it. And as for the "actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" claims? Well, aside from being a punchline, they didn't change much... a few tweaks to game pubs' editorial policies and that's about it. They did manage to get Intel to start a $300 million diversity push and helped spur Twitter's tougher abuse controls, though!
What are you talking about? GamerGate pretty much won. The SJWs lost their stranglehold over gaming and pretty much any momentum they may have once had. And hell, on the ethics front we've uncovered countless ethical violations, forced companies to create ethics policies, convinced advertisers to pull out of corrupt sites and launched Deepfreeze to continuously cataloge ethical violations.

You say that GamerGate "lost" because Sarkeesian and whoever still exist? Well no shit, you can't stop someone from existing. Their reputations are completely tarnished and they have zero respect from gamers. But besides that, why are *you* bringing them up? What do they have to do with GamerGate's goals exactly?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
What are you talking about? GamerGate pretty much won. The SJWs lost their stranglehold over gaming and pretty much any momentum they may have once had. And hell, on the ethics front we've uncovered countless ethical violations, forced companies to create ethics policies, convinced advertisers to pull out of corrupt sites and launched Deepfreeze to continuously cataloge ethical violations.

You say that GamerGate "lost" because Sarkeesian and whoever still exist? Well no shit, you can't stop someone from existing. Their reputations are completely tarnished and they have zero respect from gamers. But besides that, why are *you* bringing them up? What do they have to do with GamerGate's goals exactly?

Wow, you really do live in an alternate reality.

Funny, but I'm seeing more women and minorities in games than ever before (Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2, anyone?), even in bro-tastic games like the Gears of War series. And when they're strictly secondary characters, they're not treated like pieces of meat as often as they were before.

Oh, and when you talk about advertisers pulling out of "corrupt" sites, do you mean Gamasutra? You know, the site which not only got Intel back but whose run-in with GG harassment prompted Intel's $300 million diversity campaign?

And it's interesting that you claim that Sarkeesian and crew have "zero respect" from gamers. Really, you presume to speak for all gamers? Where's your evidence? I bring them up because, for all the "actually, it's about ethics in games journalism" crap, you and the GG camp seem awfully fixated on the eeeeevil "SJWs" and their audacity to care about seeing their genders/cultural groups better represented in games.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

Could you give me a response to my previous question?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Anita Sarkeesian is just an example of their method.
Massive sums of money are diverted from government/corporate grants, "charity" non profit organizations, and academia to fund extreme left wing activism. They all have 501c.3 foundations so they can scratch each others backs. It's not just feminists, but any other left wing group, where campus's will readily grant 10k in expenses or more for left wing speakers at say a muslim or feminist university club but will attempt to charge conservative student groups security fees amounting to thousands of dollars. Millions of dollars are "expensed" out this way to fund left wing activism.
And thanks to the infiltration of social science and fake "social justice" subjects like women's studies, even "science" funding is corrupted.

A bit like the mafia, they shake everyone down to provide "services" to the community, but they do a whole lot more.

I mean really, what do you think the Clinton Foundation was, at least in part.

I told you long ago
V82cuKd.png

Now all you hear about is the "fake news", in a perverse darvo kind of way, the issues are now clear on a much larger scale. They ran the same play, full collusion to demonize their ideological enemies, truth was of no concern at all for the media. No "ethics" in any journalism to be found. The lesson of "they are all connected, and "they will lie to you until you force them to stop" has been taught on a much larger scale, although many are still rejecting the lesson as expected.
3LKbraF.jpg

Sarkeesian is a spent force. Mcintosh her abandoned writer is nothing without her spot light. People like Brianna Wu were retweeted by Clinton in her campaigns dying days, and likely cost her votes. Arthur Chu is divorced and destroyed, and of course "social justice" cost the left the election.
Most importantly of all, they've lost their moral credibility.
Shutting Down Shame

Anyways, the FBI found bupkis
http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2016/1...se-due-to-no-actionable-leads-evidence/18282/

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
And since the timing is right, looks like Anita's in potential trouble

Anita Sarkeesian MASSIVELY violating tax exemption requirements!
Thunderf00t