Discussion Game Stop Stock Short Squeeze

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I doubt they like short traders.

Who does they most assholes. I’m glad the short sellers are getting their clocks cleaned. I just hope the non-yolo folks caught up in the frenzy get out with a profit.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I doubt they like short traders.
They like short traders quite a lot. Short traders keep the market fluid and usually minimize spikes/dips.

Please tell me the difference between these two hypothetical traders:
A) Buys low on Jan 18, sells high on Jan 19, buys low on Jan 20, sells high on Jan 21, buys low on Jan 22.
B) Buys low on Jan 18, sells high on Jan 19, buys low on Jan 20, sells high on Jan 21, buys low on Jan 22.
Hint: One people call evil assholes and one people seem to love.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They like short traders quite a lot. Short traders keep the market fluid and usually minimize spikes/dips.

Please tell me the difference between these two hypothetical traders:
A) Buys low on Jan 18, sells high on Jan 19, buys low on Jan 20, sells high on Jan 21, buys low on Jan 22.
B) Buys low on Jan 18, sells high on Jan 19, buys low on Jan 20, sells high on Jan 21, buys low on Jan 22.
Hint: One people call evil assholes and one people seem to love.
I think your A and Bs are identical.

Shorting in itself isn't evil, it is necessary for market liquidity. However, what these companies did appears to be either unethical or maybe illegal.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I think your A and Bs are identical.

Shorting in itself isn't evil, it is necessary for market liquidity. However, what these companies did appears to be either unethical or maybe illegal.
No, no, no. All of the trades in one row was evil. All of the trades in the other row was perfectly fine.

The difference is that one of the two started Jan 15 with a sell. Thus every trade on that list is a short trade. Even though they are the exact same trades as the other person. We assign evilness to one set and angelic qualities to the other, for the exact same effect on the market.

There are illegal and unethical things going on in the stock market all the time. Shorting can go into that territory. But, in general, shorting is a good thing as long as everyone plays by the same set of rules.

The anger is right though. We have two sets of rules. Hedge funds have a different but overlapping set of rules compared to regular investors. Fraud is illegal in both. If fraud has occurred, it should stop and should be punished. The anger towards shorting is usually misguided. Unless there is fraud, the goal of short trade is basically identical to a regular trade: buy low and sell high. The short just started that buy/sell pattern with a sell instead of starting the buy/sell pattern with a buy.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
emH7qPi.jpg

Nice.
lOluuS2.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pipeline 1010

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
No, no, no. All of the trades in one row was evil. All of the trades in the other row was perfectly fine.

The difference is that one of the two started Jan 15 with a sell. Thus every trade on that list is a short trade. Even though they are the exact same trades as the other person. We assign evilness to one set and angelic qualities to the other, for the exact same effect on the market.

There are illegal and unethical things going on in the stock market all the time. Shorting can go into that territory. But, in general, shorting is a good thing as long as everyone plays by the same set of rules.

The anger is right though. We have two sets of rules. Hedge funds have a different but overlapping set of rules compared to regular investors. Fraud is illegal in both. If fraud has occurred, it should stop and should be punished. The anger towards shorting is usually misguided. Unless there is fraud, the goal of short trade is basically identical to a regular trade: buy low and sell high. The short just started that buy/sell pattern with a sell instead of starting the buy/sell pattern with a buy.
How is betting on a business's failure economically good? You (general you) are actively encouraging the collapse of a business.

Reactions: thilanliyan

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
How is betting on a business's failure economically good? You (general you) are actively encouraging the collapse of a business.
None of the buys or sells affect the business in any way, shape, or form, unless the business was going to try and short itself by issuing new shares. None of this gives or takes away a penny in profit from the business.

Reactions: IronWing and Zorba

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
None of the buys or sells affect the business in any way, shape, or form, unless the business was going to try and short itself by issuing new shares. None of this gives or takes away a penny in profit from the business.

...except that's not where it stops with these big firms--they actively poison the well by pushing bad publicity regarding these companies in order to force their positions. The bet itself isn't inherently "wrong," but the nature of it being allowed and the inevitable nature of runaway capitalist shitbags create the certainty that these hedge funds will be spending much more money to release FUD into the news cycle about these companies.

So, making simple bets like this really isn't all that they are doing. They really are trying to destroy these businesses. Obviously, the SEC hasn't had much interest in dealing with this criminals, so it looks like the retail investors have decided that if they can force this scum to eat their faces by dealing them the only loss in the world that these soulless twats can ever tolerate--their fortunes--then maybe this is the only solution to this kind of criminality.

hell...what was that Israeli private special forces company that was hired to make those fake claims about AMD two years ago, releasing fake benchmarks, fake claims, an entirely fake company, fake bugs (some of it was the whole Meltdown and Spectre thing, but there were at least 3 incidents like this), that were all connected to some heavy short positions at the time (AMD was up to 40% short in those days)

Reactions: thilanliyan

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You can short without thinking the company is going to go bankrupt. You can short any time you think there company is overvalued or when you think some event will push it down.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So if I understand what happened today.
  • Hedge funds need to buy GameStop stock (apparently more than is on the open market) to close out their shorts
  • Reddit users and others have been buying it up driving up the price (especially as shorts close and they have to buy more stocks)
  • Today several brokerages like Robinhood prevented small time buyers from buying more stock but would allow them to sell
  • Hedge funds were able to purchase or sell as normal

So basically the small guy brokerages decided to help the hedge funds at the expense of their own customers.

Is that legal?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
  • Hedge funds need to buy GameStop stock (apparently more than is on the open market) to close out their shorts
  • Reddit users and others have been buying it up driving up the price (especially as shorts close and they have to buy more stocks)
  • Today several brokerages like Robinhood prevented small time buyers from buying more stock but would allow them to sell

So basically the small guy brokerages decided to help the hedge funds at the expense of their own customers.

Is that legal?

Illegal as hell. But I am not sure SEC will hammer the fuckers that pulled this shit.

Reactions: Paratus

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Is that legal?
It was even worse. Robinhood sold clients' shares without their permission. Basically patted the clients on the head and said, "this is for your own good." Today was Fantasy Island for lawyers.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It was even worse. Robinhood sold clients' shares without their permission. Basically patted the clients on the head and said, "this is for your own good." Today was Fantasy Island for lawyers.
Is there proof of that they were actually seeing them? I saw a few images posted, but haven't seen a legit news story about it.

I agree, today was class action city. The brokerages should be on the hook for any loses.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I certainly do not want to defend hedge funds doing naked shorts, and Robinhood's decision is definitely questionable. But at the time, every stock trade needs a buyer and a seller, and this was reaching tulip bulb levels of liquidity stupidity.

Dec 10, 2005
I certainly do not want to defend hedge funds doing naked shorts, and Robinhood's decision is definitely questionable. But at the time, every stock trade needs a buyer and a seller, and this was reaching tulip bulb levels of liquidity stupidity.
It also sounds like some of the clearing houses for stock transactions were starting to demand safe guards to protect themselves (eg, broker having to have more cash reserves). Though, the way that RH and a few other brokerage firms handled that seems off, to say the least.

I don't feel bad for the hedge funds - they've dug their own position. But this whole thing is like semi-rich internet bros taking on a hedge fund, and other people stupidly jumping on the bandwagon as if it some populist fantasy, but they are about to be left holding a giant bag of shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: repoman0

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
back up to $320 after being down around 190 this morning, baby!

this is one hell of a roller coaster ride :D

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
How many of the shorts got out at 190? Anyone with the skillset to decipher that?