Discussion Game Stop Stock Short Squeeze

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
...except that's not where it stops with these big firms--they actively poison the well by pushing bad publicity regarding these companies in order to force their positions. The bet itself isn't inherently "wrong," but the nature of it being allowed and the inevitable nature of runaway capitalist shitbags create the certainty that these hedge funds will be spending much more money to release FUD into the news cycle about these companies.

So, making simple bets like this really isn't all that they are doing. They really are trying to destroy these businesses. Obviously, the SEC hasn't had much interest in dealing with this criminals, so it looks like the retail investors have decided that if they can force this scum to eat their faces by dealing them the only loss in the world that these soulless twats can ever tolerate--their fortunes--then maybe this is the only solution to this kind of criminality.

hell...what was that Israeli private special forces company that was hired to make those fake claims about AMD two years ago, releasing fake benchmarks, fake claims, an entirely fake company, fake bugs (some of it was the whole Meltdown and Spectre thing, but there were at least 3 incidents like this), that were all connected to some heavy short positions at the time (AMD was up to 40% short in those days)

To put it simply, it's conflict of interest.

One should not have the power to massively buy shares and also control the levers that effect the price. In this case, using media levers to effect the price.

You know, kinda like politicians buying stocks and then pulling levers in congress such as tax advantages, tax credits, and other things that help the industry you're investing in...

It's basically akin to giving the person who works the cash-register also has the authority to do the accounting. No one with half a brain would allow this shit.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This is so beautiful to watch! Fuck the hedge funds that routinely manipulate the market and use their positions to make overly risky bets. They don't like it when you play by their own rules. All the Reddit people did was take advantage of a horrible choice... tough luck billionaires. Unfortunately they also have enough sway to shutdown trading but I think the point was made.
I was trying to comprehend all this and not doing well. This thread (OP, I guess) clarified it. It's not that complicated. If you are buying shares while the hedge funds are suffering a short squeeze you are showing paper profits ... but you have to sell before the stock plummets or you lose those. How that plays out, I don't know. Heard on news last night that GME will resume trading "on a limited basis," or something like that. What that translates to, I can't guess.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Hah, just saw that Citron is throwing in the towel lol.

raising worries about the fragility of the market, as well as concerns that financial markets are stacked against individual investors

Wow who could have guessed that multi- billion dollar firms have a distinct advantage over an individual person, and that the idea of a rational market is utter bullshit. Anyone group with enough capital can essentially swing the market.

Reactions: hal2kilo

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wow who could have guessed that multi- billion dollar firms have a distinct advantage over an individual person, and that the idea of a rational market is utter bullshit. Anyone group with enough capital can essentially swing the market.
You mean like SoftBank was doing last year?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
pooh, didn't expect AMC to go back up like that--I went ahead and sold yesterday because of the 44 million share dilution on top of the buy order stop. ...consider that the gain to today is on TOP of yesterdays massive dilution.

crazy.

I still could have made some money. dangit! :D

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hah, just saw that Citron is throwing in the towel lol.

I know nothing of the markets but doesn't that just say that they are going to stop publishing which shorts they are doing?
It doesn't say they are going to stop short selling.

They got caught out this time because people found out what short stocks they were holding, I can see why the sneaky fuckers would decide not to tell anyone now!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
pooh, didn't expect AMC to go back up like that--I went ahead and sold yesterday because of the 44 million share dilution on top of the buy order stop. ...consider that the gain to today is on TOP of yesterdays massive dilution.

crazy.

I still could have made some money. dangit! :D
I was going to buy some AMC when I bought GME but I can't find the stock listed here!

Reactions: zinfamous

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Are a large group of investors committed to holding Gamestop stock indefinitely no matter what the fundamentals?. Is that what I’m seeing on Reddit?. For them it’s a pure spite play for the lulz, and nobody cares if they gain or lose.

I'm assuming it will have to tank/go down eventually. Eventually greed will get to some of the GS longs. GS didn’t get to be a shorting target by having a gangbusters business model with a crack management team. They would have to increase their revenues like a 1000x to justify the stock price.

Eventually the internet will find another shiny object to chase, and GSE will glide back to a level more in line with the fundamentals. The only question is when. I briefly considered opening a short position, but with so many irrational actors purposely distorting the market, I just don’t feel comfortable making that call. I have no interest in paying margin interest to rent shares that end up taking months or a year to normalize.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I know nothing of the markets but doesn't that just say that they are going to stop publishing which shorts they are doing?
It doesn't say they are going to stop short selling.

They got caught out this time because people found out what short stocks they were holding, I can see why the sneaky fuckers would decide not to tell anyone now!

Yea, I think its BS and that it's hilarious. They're not going to stop shorting, instead they are just not going to publish their positions etc. The thing is that these guys are connected to Robinhood who then feeds them RH's client order flows so they will always have a predatory stance.

Reactions: zinfamous
Mar 11, 2004
Yea, I think its BS and that it's hilarious. They're not going to stop shorting, instead they are just not going to publish their positions etc. The thing is that these guys are connected to Robinhood who then feeds them RH's client order flows so they will always have a predatory stance.

Ding ding ding.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Are a large group of investors committed to holding Gamestop stock indefinitely no matter what the fundamentals?. Is that what I’m seeing on Reddit?. For them it’s a pure spite play for the lulz, and nobody cares if they gain or lose.

Pretty much.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003

The short interest in a stock is publicly available information. It doesn't matter if you know who is doing it. The point with GME is that the short interest is over 100% of the float, not that any particular hedge fund is shorting it.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I don't know, browsing r/wsb there are quite a few people claiming to have sunk 50-200K into GME. I know that may be pocket change to some people, but this still seems like a lot of money to throw away just to stick it to the hedge funds.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't know, browsing r/wsb there are quite a few people claiming to have sunk 50-200K into GME. I know that may be pocket change to some people, but this still seems like a lot of money to throw away just to stick it to the hedge funds.

it's not throw away...more of willing to lose it. The hedge funds have been screwing retail investors for forever. It's a little payback.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
It's all relative. If I had a few mil, my life wouldn't be substantially different other than having less stress and more willingness to buy fun stuff. I wouldn't have a problem dropping a few hundred k for what I'd consider to be a noble goal. I already do that relatively speaking toward other things.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
so who represents Ted Cruz in this meme?

Red Skull?

Gary Shandling?

I am not sure anything in that meme is low enough for Cruz.
Some dude licking another dudes balls while he rapes his wife. Something like that.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
This seems like a depressingly likely answer to how/why this is happening and how it will end.
This is front page news in every country, lots of senior politicians are weighing in on it, trading has been halted in stocks several times.
Now I'm not saying that it's the end of capitalism but it's more than just a few people on reddit pumping stocks.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
This seems like a depressingly likely answer to how/why this is happening and how it will end.

Of course this is being pushed by younger Wall Street/finance bros trying to make money. That’s what the core of WSB is. The avg retail investor can’t just plunk half a mil on GME and go Yolo.

The Yolo’ers aren’t really going to Yolo. They will sell as will institutional investors that hold large GME stakes. The bottom will fall out and those new investors who have no idea what they are doing are likely to lose their shirts just like the short sellers.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
This is front page news in every country, lots of senior politicians are weighing in on it, trading has been halted in stocks several times.
Now I'm not saying that it's the end of capitalism but it's more than just a few people on reddit pumping stocks.

It has become a feeding frenzy because it has drawn in a lot of unsophisticated new investors thanks to the ease of trading these day. It’s has primarily been pumped by this yolo/diamond hands crowd that keep saying to hold, but they know and will cash out at the most opportune time. The unsophisticated investor will get eaten just like the shorters have. In the end A lot will make money, a lot will lose money. It’s all a game of who’s gonna be left holding an empty sack in the end.

The good news is this will likely lead to some reforms of Wall Street. Hopefully the don’t screw-over main street at the same time.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But what if it’s exactly that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It has become a feeding frenzy because it has drawn in a lot of unsophisticated new investors thanks to the ease of trading these day. It’s has primarily been pumped by this yolo/diamond hands crowd that keep saying to hold, but they know and will cash out at the most opportune time. The unsophisticated investor will get eaten just like the shorters have. In the end A lot will make money, a lot will lose money. It’s all a game of who’s gonna be left holding an empty sack in the end.

not as bad as the shorters. most you can lose as a stock buyer is the entire value of the stock. GME is not going bankrupt now lol. If you shorted GME, that is on you.