Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 528 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They made a point to show that the dragons don't always do what she wants.

They have, but not to the point of a likely plot being 'big battle, the dragons won't help her until Bran takes one over'. For example, remember when they roasted someone on queue for her - that's the pattern.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
But what's the point of Bran controlling a dragon - who seem to do as Daenerys wants - unless it's the undead dragon?

That'd be more useful in a Jon Snow versus Daenerys battle, ah ha so you thought you had dragons as Bran makes one or more fight for Jon Snow, but that seems unlikely.

On another topic, I was thinking about the title of the book series, 'a song of fire and snow', and how while Daenerys is clearly represented by fire, how the connection of Jon Snow by 'ice' was more iffy, and why they had to make it all about Starks in the cold north, and 'winter is coming', and his service at the wall in the snow. But it seems pretty forced. He doesn't have 'cold magic' and such.

Then I noticed his name relative to the 'ice' defining (at least they didn't make Daenerys' last name "Flame"). Seems a bit heavy-handed.

For "A Song of Ice and Fire" I never got Daenerys and Jon Snow out of that. No, I've been thinking white walkers and dragons.

Reactions: clamum

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Specifically I recall one of the dragons killing peasants and eating livestock.

The show had the dragons misbehaving during their adolescence - Drogon killing the peasant and flying off. That lead to the other two being locked below.

However once she brought fully grown* Drogon back and released the other two to fight at the battle of Meereen they have basically obeyed her every command.

*yes it’s arguable that dragons never stop growing so maybe matured is a better way to put it. At any rate it seems the show ended the Danys Misbehaving Dragons storyline at the end of season 6.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
But what's the point of Bran controlling a dragon - who seem to do as Daenerys wants - unless it's the undead dragon?

That'd be more useful in a Jon Snow versus Daenerys battle, ah ha so you thought you had dragons as Bran makes one or more fight for Jon Snow, but that seems unlikely.

On another topic, I was thinking about the title of the book series, 'a song of fire and snow', and how while Daenerys is clearly represented by fire, how the connection of Jon Snow by 'ice' was more iffy, and why they had to make it all about Starks in the cold north, and 'winter is coming', and his service at the wall in the snow. But it seems pretty forced. He doesn't have 'cold magic' and such.

Then I noticed his name relative to the 'ice' defining (at least they didn't make Daenerys' last name "Flame"). Seems a bit heavy-handed.

We haven't seen how the dragons will react to the loss of one of them. It's possible they'll not want to be in harm's way if they come across the White Walkers and will try to take off. For all they've been shown to be, they've been portrayed as more like dogs.

Of course, odds are the answer isn't about the dragons. It's about what Bran wants to do, and sometimes you just want to be a dragon...

12490_4706610302608_1342207651_n.jpg

Reactions: tommo123

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
For "A Song of Ice and Fire" I never got Daenerys and Jon Snow out of that. No, I've been thinking white walkers and dragons.

I thought of both. On the snow side, the undead army seems to fit well. But for fire, the dragons seem just part of Daenerys' fire theme. So another way to look at a 'song of fire and ice' is the partnership of Daenerys and Jon Snow, against the undead.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Been so long Ive kind of lost interest. Maybe I just dont want it to be over or to be preinfluenced on what I expect from the next book. Course thats if it ever gets here. Im still betting it will be released soon after the series is over.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
53766693_337100560268047_1628759621365661696_n.jpg

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
He's overweight, 70 years old and looks 90. The chances of him living long enough to finish The Winds of Winter are pretty good since it's mostly done. But at current pace and how much he slows down with each book the final one would be in the area of 2030 and that's with no major health problems. Honestly, will you even care by then? Once the TV series wraps I think interest in the books will evaporate.
It is unfortunate, because I think the television show accelerated past some interesting subplots left unresolved in the books:

Dorne
The Iron Born
Jamie’s redemption arc
The Hound’s fate
Lady Stoneheart

I also don’t like how they handled Mance Rayder, he was a far more interesting character in the books, especially his familiarity with and sympathy towards Jon Snow.

The show pulled a Last Jedi and Snoked some of those plot threads.

I also felt Jon Snow’s resurrection and Arya’s path of revenge were more fan service than true to the books.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It is unfortunate, because I think the television show accelerated past some interesting subplots left unresolved in the books:

Dorne
The Iron Born
Jamie’s redemption arc
The Hound’s fate
Lady Stoneheart

I also don’t like how they handled Mance Rayder, he was a far more interesting character in the books, especially his familiarity with and sympathy towards Jon Snow.

The show pulled a Last Jedi and Snoked some of those plot threads.

I also felt Jon Snow’s resurrection and Arya’s path of revenge were more fan service than true to the books.
it looks like the tv series will wrap up b4 he releases the next book.

maybe he'll screw with his readers and do a major plot twist, like the dragon DOESNT die and become a white walker.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
as for the tv show, please don't do a butterfly effect.

ie: bran sees that he's the Night King.
he goes into the past, wargs into his dog Summer so that it cant save his life and is killed by the Valarian dagger

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
are we finally going to see the Mountain vs his brother the Hound?
or are we going to get Rick Rolled by HBO?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
are we finally going to see the Mountain vs his brother the Hound?
or are we going to get Rick Rolled by HBO?

I'm certain that Zombgor will defeat the Hound...though now that the series has moved pretty much into the minds of the Showrunners more than the fat dude, there are much less murders of the beloved primary characters. (granted--all of those murders and deaths in the earlier parts of the series were simply signals that those people really weren't primary characters)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
it looks like the tv series will wrap up b4 he releases the next book.
Rumor: GRRM will release Winds of Winter on November 13, 2023 :eek:

His last GoT book (A Dance with Dragons) was published in 2011!
so 13yrs to write book 6. :eek:

He's currently 73.
At this rate, he'll be 111 before the last book is released

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's a tough spot for sure as the more time passes the higher the expectations are for it to be fantastic but the last book wasn't as mind blowing as the first few were and he may be having trouble consolidating and wrapping it up in a way that's compelling.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
It's a tough spot for sure as the more time passes the higher the expectations are for it to be fantastic but the last book wasn't as mind blowing as the first few were and he may be having trouble consolidating and wrapping it up in a way that's compelling.
hopefully it's different than tv's season 7.
so hbo will re-make season 7 (and possible season 8)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Rumor: GRRM will release Winds of Winter on November 13, 2023 :eek:

His last GoT book (A Dance with Dragons) was published in 2011!
so 13yrs to write book 6. :eek:

He's currently 73.
At this rate, he'll be 111 before the last book is released

Just a quick history of rumors of Winds of Winter (WoW)...
GRRM originally said that WoW would be published in 2013, but as that deadline neared he told fans he was overly optimistic in his timeframe for writing it and it would probably be 2015 before it was published. That obviously didn't happen.
Then he felt confident it would be out before the final Season of the HBO series in 2016...but when that didn't happen he told us he had just missed the publication deadline for 2016 and that it had slipped to 2017.
When that deadline went whooshing past he promised fans that he was going to work on nothing else, no short stories, no teleplays, not even editing other works (except finishing the re-release of Wild Cards) until Winds of Winter was published and that it was only a few months away and would be published in early 2018.
Then most of 2018 passed with no WoW, and despite his promise to work on nothing else he published Fire & Blood in November. When fans complained he told us it was just a technicality that the publisher had just put Fire & Blood in front of WoW in the publishing queue and it was still going to be published in 2018...
Then in April of 2019 he told fans that he would have the finished book in hand at the 2020 WorldCon in July of 2020...Of course COVID happened, and WorldCon did not.
Then in September of 2019 is was announced that GRRM was going to be the executive producer of House of Dragons, HBO's new Game of Thrones Spin-off. GRRM promised that he would not be writing anything for the show before WoW was complete.
Of course in January 2020 HBO said that GRRM was currently writing the scripts for the show, and that it was his main focus.
That same month GRRM agreed that House of Dragons was his main focus, but that he was also working on a new HBO series Who Fears Death.
In January of 2021 GRRM said that he had written hundreds of pages for WoW, and that it was his best year of writing on the book so far, but that he was hesitant to say it would be published that year.
The last thing I have heard was in November GRRM said he is still writing on WoW and that it is not complete yet, but he expects to end it 'Soon." which is the same thing he said in 2015.

So, excuse me if I take this news with a grain of sand. Until I see a publication date by Batam Spectra I won't believe it.

Oh, it is also worth noting that GRRM has already said that WoW is not the last book. There is at least one more, but that it might end up with 2 or even 3 more (although if it is 3 it will be because WoW is split into two books).