Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 527 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
GRRM delays book, again :eek:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/entertainment/winds-winter-book-release/index.html

The Winds of Winter not coming out in 2018

wtf?!

And in further breaking news, the sky is blue. The Winds of Winter might not be released in GRRMs lifetime and it's a pretty good chance that the final book won't be released ever. Is anyone going to care in 2030 after the series has been off the air for 10 years? They're just greasing the wheels for the Targaryen prequel so that HBO can get a new series that won't require any involvement from Martin after it launches. That's where all the attention that should have been on ASOIAF has been directed, to getting the new series ready to roll. Once that happens GRRM will go back to comic conventions instead of working on the books. He doesn't want to work on the books and he grasps at any straw to avoid it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Cant release it before the final season of GOT airs. I take this to mean it is greatly different in its story so this is a good thing.

Hope I live long enough to read it.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
1SUzSxb.jpg

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I hope he lives long enough to write it.

He's overweight, 70 years old and looks 90. The chances of him living long enough to finish The Winds of Winter are pretty good since it's mostly done. But at current pace and how much he slows down with each book the final one would be in the area of 2030 and that's with no major health problems. Honestly, will you even care by then? Once the TV series wraps I think interest in the books will evaporate.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Eh, even if he doesn't finish the book it'll be like Tom Clancy. Some ghost writer will finish the book under his name once he's gone. Might actually be faster :D

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Eh, even if he doesn't finish the book it'll be like Tom Clancy. Some ghost writer will finish the book under his name once he's gone. Might actually be faster :D

Couldn't be any slower, or they would need multiple generations of ghost writers. :p

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
See the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan died before finishing it. Brandon Sanderson picked up his notes and finished the series. The last three books were even good-great because Sanderson cut the fat out and dropped them yearly.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
See the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan died before finishing it. Brandon Sanderson picked up his notes and finished the series. The last three books were even good-great because Sanderson cut the fat out and dropped them yearly.

That series had nowhere to go but up. Jordan had bogged down to the point where he could have lived to be 1000, done 250 books and still not gotten to the end.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That series had nowhere to go but up. Jordan had bogged down to the point where he could have lived to be 1000, done 250 books and still not gotten to the end.

The Wheel of time took 22 years for 14 books (counting New Spring) and was 11916 pages long in total. The Song of Fire and Ice is currently at 5 books totaling 4228 pages, and has taken 22 years as well. At the rate Martin is writing it would have taken him 62 years to finish The Wheel of Time series if he had written it instead of Jordan.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The Wheel of time took 22 years for 14 books (counting New Spring) and was 11916 pages long in total. The Song of Fire and Ice is currently at 5 books totaling 4228 pages, and has taken 22 years as well. At the rate Martin is writing it would have taken him 62 years to finish The Wheel of Time series if he had written it instead of Jordan.

Yeah, but in those 14 books over 22 years less happened than in Martin's 5 books. Strip out the descriptions of Aes Sedai hairstyles and dresses, the men bitching about the women while sitting around doing nothing and the women bitching about the men while sitting around doing nothing books 3-12 could have been condensed into a pamphlet. The problem wasn't that Jordan stopped writing, it's that he stopped moving the plot forward. He had like 4 books of actual material and padded it out to 14.

And let's not sell GRRM short, it might take him that whole 62 years for next book alone.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Also if you want a laugh and need to get caught up again on seasons 1-6 may I suggest / relink:

Westerosi Rhapsody:

And the Sam Jackson HBO GoT Season 1-6 Recap:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Still waiting for Jonsa to be a thing cause in GoT Incest is way cool.
John%2Bsnow%2Bzombie%2B3.jpg

also

jon-snow-yolt-meme.jpg

I'm half joking of course

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
hm..
Bran will never walk again but he will fly.

I guess he's going to control one of the dragons.
or has he done that already and brought down a section of the wall?

my prediction:
Daenerys will sit on the iron throne and rule, even if that means betraying John Snow

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
But what's the point of Bran controlling a dragon - who seem to do as Daenerys wants - unless it's the undead dragon?

That'd be more useful in a Jon Snow versus Daenerys battle, ah ha so you thought you had dragons as Bran makes one or more fight for Jon Snow, but that seems unlikely.

On another topic, I was thinking about the title of the book series, 'a song of fire and snow', and how while Daenerys is clearly represented by fire, how the connection of Jon Snow by 'ice' was more iffy, and why they had to make it all about Starks in the cold north, and 'winter is coming', and his service at the wall in the snow. But it seems pretty forced. He doesn't have 'cold magic' and such.

Then I noticed his name relative to the 'ice' defining (at least they didn't make Daenerys' last name "Flame"). Seems a bit heavy-handed.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
But what's the point of Bran controlling a dragon - who seem to do as Daenerys wants - unless it's the undead dragon?

That'd be more useful in a Jon Snow versus Daenerys battle, ah ha so you thought you had dragons as Bran makes one or more fight for Jon Snow, but that seems unlikely.

On another topic, I was thinking about the title of the book series, 'a song of fire and snow', and how while Daenerys is clearly represented by fire, how the connection of Jon Snow by 'ice' was more iffy, and why they had to make it all about Starks in the cold north, and 'winter is coming', and his service at the wall in the snow. But it seems pretty forced. He doesn't have 'cold magic' and such.

Then I noticed his name relative to the 'ice' defining (at least they didn't make Daenerys' last name "Flame"). Seems a bit heavy-handed.
They made a point to show that the dragons don't always do what she wants.