Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 521 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There's no evidence that dragonglass or Valyrian steel kill wights. They work against the white walkers, they're not any more effective than ordinary weapons against the underlings. I guess a flaming Valyrian sword could be a pretty effective weapon.
Vindication! At least wrt the dragonglass part. Maybe Valyrian too?

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Wot? Tyrion has the "magic c0ck". It's rumored dwarf's dong has a magical property.

Podrick has the magic cock FFS. Bronn and Tyrion are the ones who said so.

Remember the episode where Tyrion gave Pod money to pop his cherry and the whores did not take any of his money? I guess not.:D

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
How would the Night King have gotten past the wall without the dragon?

Let's see if I have this correct:

1) Go north to get a white walker in order to prove to Cersei (the definitive one person you can't trust) that she needs to help you defend against white walkers.
2) A dragon is killed in the process of securing the white walker.
3) That dragon is then resurrected.
4) The wall just got torched by the dragon and no defense could stop it.
5) Still can't trust Cersei so the whole idea was pointless.
6) Bonus: Benjen dies.

Seems they would have been better off just hanging out at Winterfell.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Podrick has the magic cock FFS. Bronn and Tyrion are the ones who said so.

Remember the episode where Tyrion gave Pod money to pop his cherry and the whores did not take any of his money? I guess not.:D
Well I was referring to the scene where Tyrion almost got killed and his c0ck cut off by the merchant guys because they believed it to be value due to its magical properties. He haggled with them to keep him alive because of something like, the cock will be worthless if it can't be proven that it came from a dwarf.

Maybe everybody has a magic stick!?!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So something that's confused me wrt the WW so far. They started war prep/marches (in theory) a few months ago, whatever that timeframe means in Westeros... a while back, Hardholme timeframe. In theory this is because Winter was approaching (clearly seasons last a very long time in this world) which, for whatever reason, causes them to march (maybe they melt in the heat?). So.. what exactly were the whitewalkers going to do upon reaching the wall without a dragon? Just throw rocks at it? Presumably there have been armies of the dead/marches north of the wall in the timeframes between the wall being constructed, and our current timeframe, what did the army do in those attempts? Just meander around until summer hit? Or just take enough casualties from a functional Castle Black to turn around and head back north?

I feel like this whole thing is going to lead us into the 'Brann = Night King' scenario, whereupon somehow the NK knew that a dragon was going to become available. It's curious that he'd have these dragon-killing spears available now (never seen them used before), exactly in the location where he'd need to use them in, and curiously didn't use them on the group sitting on the island but instead stood there for days waiting for a dragon to show up. Also beginning to march before even having the capability of bringing the wall down.

Maybe the NK stole some of Brann's capabilities when he touched him? That'd be a bit less paradoxical, and everything north of the wall kinda kicked off once Brann went stupid with warging and got touched by the bad man.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Some thoughts:
Pretty good finale overall. More of a continuation from a longer build this season; seems a bit less rushed.
1. Them talking about how long it would be to march their armies was ironic. The episode could have easily stood without that conversation and it just exposes the insta-travel issues from prior episodes.
2. As stupid as the whole capture a wight plan sounded, I'll have to say the execution of the scene was pretty awesome. The comment to not touch the box, the hound's fumbling with the lid and slow silent opening/tip-over really build up the suspense and made me wonder what had gone wrong.
3. Good call for those who pegged Arya/Sansa's tag-teaming of Littlefinger. Glad they took the scheming a little farther with him so his intentions were more clear.
4. They rescued things a bit with the integrity discussions with Jon after his failure to pledge to Cersei, but come on. Jon would have been granted a pardon from his pledge to fealty, and he was so desperate to recruit Dany he didn't even give Cersei a "let me think about it" or try to find another way. Especially with his speech on fighting for life period. If they are playing up the stupid romance angle, they could do that better, and an acknowledgement of his brother(cousin)'s stupid marital decision would be all that is necessary.
5. So close to Clegane bowl. It was a good tease.
6. Why didn't Gregor off Jamie when she gave the nod? They are showing he has the capacity to do more than follow orders.
7. A Cersei/Tyrion scheme sounds like a reasonable explanation, but I don't think Tyrion would go along with keeping the Crown from the fight. Perhaps she bought the sellsword army and sent them north. Tyrion is well aware that the undead army is a bigger threat. Being down a dragon already should confirm that.
8. I gotta think that someone realizes that the WW have an undead dragon. Maybe it's just me being used to watching movies/TV and knowing that there isn't ever any scene that doesn't have a purpose. When the expedition fought off the bear, my very first thought was "I guess they can resurrect a dragon."
9. That cliffhanger of Tormund on the wall as it comes down was not my favorite. Either he survives in some totally unrealistic miracle fashion or he gets killed abruptly without showing it. Maybe he gets risen by a WW and becomes important somehow.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
9. That cliffhanger of Tormund on the wall as it comes down was not my favorite. Either he survives in some totally unrealistic miracle fashion or he gets killed abruptly without showing it. Maybe he gets risen by a WW and becomes important somehow.

It looked like he was running along the wall, and we saw that only the end of the wall fell (the part that was jutting out into the sea). So, there's a chance that he made it to the standing portion, but he'll have to run along the wall to get to the next outpost.

tmc

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2001
jon snow played a BIG role in the night king getting a dragon.
my conspiracy theory says he is controlled by evil or someone played him to do that :)

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
Season 8 Series finale predictions because the show doesn't really have twists anymore or they are obvious at this point.

Jon on a dragon. Night King on a dragon. They fight. Both dragons destroy each other. Jon kills the Night King. White Walker threat no more.

The Golden Company that Cersei is bragging about. Headed by none other than Daario. He isn't revealed until the Golden Company switches to Daenerys's side. If this actually happens, I think that it's stupid that the Iron Bank was not aware of Daario being head of Golden Company and his ties with Daenerys.

Sandor & Gregor Clegane fight. Sandor wins.

Jon & Daenerys on a dragon. They are flying to King's Landing. Dragon does dragon stuff until it gets shot by a harpoon. Dragon land, drops off Jon & Daenerys, and dies. No more dragons to work with.

Jaime & Cersei together. Cersei wants to execute Operation Wildfire. Jaimes does not. Jaime threatens to kill Cersei but ends up not having the conviction to continue with the action. Cersei mortally wounds Jaime with a dagger. Cersei gives the go ahead for Operation Wildfire but it doesn't trigger for whatever reason.

Cersei drinks the concoction that killed Olenna. Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion enter the throne room. Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion exchange last words with each other.

Jon rules the North because he's not into incest. Daenerys rules the other kingdoms.

Alternate ending: Last scene has Little Finger still alive. Little Finger on Daenerys's small council because he controls the Vale. Varys also on the small council for his service to Daenerys. Little Finger & Varys continue their game of thrones.

If Arya ends up killing Cersei, I am going to scream bloody murder.

Don't see much more story left with Sansa now that Little Finger is dead.

Theon will save his sister and his story ends.

Reactions: tmc

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It only makes the story more complex, and the internal struggle of the characters even more so - Jon is loyal to House Stark (and now house Targ.) and Tyrion while currently loyal to house Targ, is also obviously still attached to house Lannister, too.

Characters will undoubtedly be forced to chose a side for good at one point or another.

I don't really think Tyrion is loyal to House Lannister. He has feelings for his brother and sister, nothing more. He wants to see them come out okay even if Cersei doesn't deserve it. He's probably going to be 100% loyal to Dany and will *attempt* to help his family members up to the point of where doing that would harm Dany, that's a line he's not even going to consider crossing. And Jon I think more than anyone is going to adhere to his vows. He's going to stay loyal to Dany and still do everything in his power to protect the North. Jaime is the one who looks to have the biggest conflict. In the end I think he's going to have to turn on Cersei and become Queenslayer.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
b3mK7MA.jpg

Reactions: interchange

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
I really feel like everyone in Winterfell should be like "holy fucking shit guys who gives a shit about Little Finger, we got a dude here that can see EVERYTHING, anywhere, even going back thousands of years. ... Bran, who ate my sammich?"

Reactions: Sonikku

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I really feel like everyone in Winterfell should be like "holy fucking shit guys who gives a shit about Little Finger, we got a dude here that can see EVERYTHING, anywhere, even going back thousands of years. ... Bran, who ate my sammich?"

I've said this too. How/why is Bran not just spilling his guts about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE? You'd think he's the most power man alive right now, right?

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I've said this too. How/why is Bran not just spilling his guts about EVERYTHING and EVERYONE? You'd think he's the most power man alive right now, right?

I'm pretty sure that while he can see everything, he doesn't know and hasn't seen everything. He specifically has to look for (or be shown?) a thing to know it. He knew about Jon, but didn't understand the other circumstances around it for example.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Well, even assuming that he can see visions 24 hours a day without rest, there's still the case of what he could know to look for. When Sam provided info on Rhaegar Bran was able to see the wedding, but without that why would Bran have a reason to look at what Rhaegar was doing in that place at that time? There are a millions of people talking about millions of things every second of every day in every corner of the planet and Bran couldn't possibly monitor .00000001% of that. His visions have to be triggered by knowing what signal he has to pick out from the background noise.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
What if Jon decided against trying to get a zombie? Would the Night King be locked out? Could they have dealt with Cersei at their convenience?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
What if Jon decided against trying to get a zombie? Would the Night King be locked out? Could they have dealt with Cersei at their convenience?

No, it was never about giving the dead a way to break the wall, .there were other ways for the Night's King to get south. The pieces were in place to have the Wall's magic fail due to Bran passing under it or to have the sea freeze and the dead simply walk around the side of it. The journey north was about Dany losing a dragon and the Night's King getting one. That was the whole purpose of the mission, to balance dragon power.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
No, it was never about giving the dead a way to break the wall, .there were other ways for the Night's King to get south. The pieces were in place to have the Wall's magic fail due to Bran passing under it or to have the sea freeze and the dead simply walk around the side of it. The journey north was about Dany losing a dragon and the Night's King getting one. That was the whole purpose of the mission, to balance dragon power.

this

when bran let the NK mark him he totally fucked things up. if that didn't happen the 3ER would still be alive

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I'm just glad Arya and Sansa played Little Finger. I was going to be pissed if the writers made them back into idiots but well played writers. Well played

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Haven’t read the thread this season, but...

Whatever happened to “the one that passes the sentence should swing the sword?”

No trial? He should have had a chance to try to explain himself, fail, request trial by combat, and then get slaughtered. Would like to see Sansa choose Arya as her champion. What they did instead is more like a Joffrey Baratheon move than a Stark move.