Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 469 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
So, ..........................................
removed

People get rather uppity about those things regardless of whether or not it spoils a main storyline.

You know the rules.

No book spoilers here. If you folks want to continue to do so, we will ask you to leave this thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So, I know what the prophecy is, because I saw it in an episode of Film Theory (YouTube channel from the guy that does Game Theory). However, in the video, he pointed out that the prophecy was never talked about in the show (even went as far as to pop up a spoiler alert), so you may not want to mention it here. People get rather uppity about those things regardless of whether or not it spoils a main storyline.

You know I thought about watching all five seasons before I posted what I knew because I wasn't sure if it was from the books or the show, but then I said screw it.

No posting of book spoilers. IT has been removed from your previous post,

The fact you you said you thought about it and then said screw it, has earned you this infraction.

"You know I thought about watching all five seasons before I posted what I knew because I wasn't sure if it was from the books or the show, but then I said screw it. "

Do not do this again.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You know I thought about watching all five seasons before I posted what I knew because I wasn't sure if it was from the books or the show, but then I said screw it.

which is exactly why no book information is allowed in these threads, and why the torches are lit and pitchforks polished whenever a book reader enters...

just saying.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

I don't reply to a lot of people in this thread because I want shit to be on-topic... but you take the fuck-you cake.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
A lot of people have referred to the finale with a "ftw" but don't seem to mean it in the "for the win" way. Is there something else that ftw stands for in the finale?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
A lot of people have referred to the finale with a "ftw" but don't seem to mean it in the "for the win" way. Is there something else that ftw stands for in the finale?
I'll take a stab and say it's wtf backwards. I guess the idea in that case would be that there are some situations where wtf just doesn't do something justice in terms of its fucked-uppedness.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

fuck the witch? :^D

Didn't like Stannis much, but holy shit he had a bad day. Absolutely nothing went right from the time he woke up.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008

For the Witch; because thats what the dudes said while stabbing jon snow. Probably means they were being mind-controlled by the Lord of Trolls.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I don't reply to a lot of people in this thread because I want shit to be on-topic... but you take the fuck-you cake.

I'll eat every bit of that fuck-you cake. The thing I posted about was not part of a plot it did not reveal some mystery, it simply defined a term. And, can you say beyond any doubt that someone during the 5 TV seasons didn't mention that term? I cannot, and that was all I was saying. Please, at sometime in the future I hope your heart of hearts can forgive me my sin.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
Damn, killing Jon was not cool. I think the show is overdoing the "good guys die too" - I'm running out of characters I care about and seriously losing interest in the show. >1/2 of the current story lines left is stuff I don't give a s*it about.

Like the white walkers, I thought there was some rivalry rising when that dude raised the dead looking at Jon. Right now I don't even care what happens there. Without Jon, Aemon and Sam, Night Watch can DIAF, I have more sympathies for the wildlings. Baratheon is down, Boltons, Freys, ironborn, I wouldn't mind seeing them all wiped out. Tullys and the Vale, no one cares. Dorne subplot is really boring and those sand sisters are annoying. King's Landing has been pissing me off this season - the high sparrow has people on his side. 4 seasons depict the depravity of the city, crime and brothels galore, all kinds of atrocities around during the war of the kings. And these same people are suddenly pious and deeply spiritual, yeah, sure... On one side there's one the main villains (Cersei), on the other side religious zealots - they can all massacre each other for all I care.

Altogether, pretty much the only character in Westeros I care about now is Samwell. In the spirit of the show, I expect he'll be killed off on the way to Oldtown... I've never cared about Bran side of the story - too much fantasy there. Maybe Brienne and Sansa are of minor interest too, perhaps Davos, and that's about it for Westeros.

Arya's story line has become a bit slow this season. I'm not digging this many-faced god lore, doesn't make much sense to me.
Tyrion's plot is also a bit boring, although I like the Tyrion - Varys dynamics now that Varys has reappeared. I've never been a fan of Daenerys' story line, although it has some good parts now and then (like Missandei's boobs scene).

In summary: Sam, Tyrion&Varys, Arya, and that's about it. And the last two have been somewhat dull this season to me.
I'll still be watching next season too, but this is the first time I won't be eagerly awaiting it.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
The writers cleared some stuff up...

-Stannis is definitely dead. They thought it'd be gratuitous to show Brienne decapitating him. He had nothing else to live for anyways.

-Myrcella is also dead. This might not actually lead to war with Dorne since Cersei blames Tyrion for sending her away in the first place.

-Trystane gets to be stuck in the lion's den since that boat will still be sailing to King's Landing.

-Sansa and Theon survive that suicidal looking jump.
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/06/game-of-thrones-finale-cliffhangers

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Looks like while the story has ignored Bran and Rickon they grew up. They'll probably need to cast replacements if they ever bring back their story line.

Bran

468038762-isaac-hempstead-wright-attends-the-jameson-gettyimages.jpg

Rickon

Art+Parkinson+QekQo9_-m5om.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Looks like while the story has ignored Bran and Rickon they grew up. They'll probably need to cast replacements if they ever bring back their story line.

Bran

468038762-isaac-hempstead-wright-attends-the-jameson-gettyimages.jpg

Rickon

Art+Parkinson+QekQo9_-m5om.jpg

It's not very evident, but years have passed in the series as well. Remember Jon traveling to hard-home in less than one episode? That was likely a round trip of multiple weeks. The actors growing up will fit just fine. Bran and Rickon have been under that tree north of the wall for a little over a year now I believe.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
So Stannis losing his dead = gratuitous but his daughter getting burned alive = good television? :confused:

whatev.

They did kinda the same thing for his daughter actually. We heard her scream but never saw her actually burn. Likewise we heard Brienne's sword hit flesh but never saw Stannis actually executed.

I'm going with the "Brienne killed him" crowd. I don't see Brienne chickening out, nor did she seem unsure. Likewise Stannis is badly wounded and the Boltons are undoubtedly looking for his body. It would be dangerous to take him along and he cant help them, physically or otherwise. Perhaps she could offer him as a gift to the Boltons to get into the castle or something, but that's pretty far-fetched IMO.

But that won't stop the other crowd. Hell plenty of people think Syrio is still alive. :p

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
They did kinda the same thing for his daughter actually. We heard her scream but never saw her actually burn. Likewise we heard Brienne's sword hit flesh but never saw Stannis actually executed.

I'm going with the "Brienne killed him" crowd. I don't see Brienne chickening out, nor did she seem unsure. Likewise Stannis is badly wounded and the Boltons are undoubtedly looking for his body. It would be dangerous to take him along and he cant help them, physically or otherwise. Perhaps she could offer him as a gift to the Boltons to get into the castle or something, but that's pretty far-fetched IMO.

But that won't stop the other crowd. Hell plenty of people think Syrio is still alive. :p

He lives damnit!

tumblr_lt87i6onSo1r4lvhno1_400.png

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003

For the Watch, you dope. :colbert: :p

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
For the Apple Watch

The appeal of the watch had dramatically decreased... So problem un-solved.

Also MINE!

Also this lurker is my IRL friend and we've been trolling this forum since the late 90s.

I'll eat every bit of that fuck-you cake. The thing I posted about was not part of a plot it did not reveal some mystery, it simply defined a term. And, can you say beyond any doubt that someone during the 5 TV seasons didn't mention that term? I cannot, and that was all I was saying. Please, at sometime in the future I hope your heart of hearts can forgive me my sin.

It's a TV show I give -zero fucks (that is the number fucks one gives as one approach zero fucks from the left; which by implication means the square root of negative zero fucks; or if you took the absolute value of how much I like the show and divide it by the number of fucks I give, you will get negative infinity)

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015

Yeah, I tend to agree with the Stannis-is-a-rotting-meatbag crowd. The only thing that makes me doubt that is the fact that Martin likes to fuck with us. It wouldn't surprise me if he pulled that sort of plot twist out of his ass. Actually I give him a little more credit as a writer and think that if he were going to do that there would have been some kind of foreshadowing. Unfortunately I don't expect the same level of sophistication from the show's writers.

LightRider

May 10, 2001
rgvzgm.blogspot.com
The appeal of the watch had dramatically decreased... So problem un-solved.

Also MINE!

Also this lurker is my IRL friend and we've been trolling this forum since the late 90s.

It's a TV show I give -zero fucks (that is the number fucks one gives as one approach zero fucks from the left; which by implication means the square root of negative zero fucks; or if you took the absolute value of how much I like the show and divide it by the number of fucks I give, you will get negative infinity)

I can confirm. He gives infinitely zero fucks.