Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 402 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The "previously on..." recap covered some things that don't seem directly related to this episode, like the Hodor/Bran/Rickon stuff. I thought we were going to get ahead of the books since we have heard that Bran's story-line is caught up already.

I think that was just there to remind you that while Theon thinks he killed them, and everyone else in the world thinks Theon killed them, they are still alive. ....not sure why we need that reminder, except maybe that Theon is seen by everyone, especially in the north, as the killer.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think that was just there to remind you that while Theon thinks he killed them, and everyone else in the world thinks Theon killed them, they are still alive. ....not sure why we need that reminder, except maybe that Theon is seen by everyone, especially in the north, as the killer.

The reminders serve only to pander to the audience of lesser intelligence. Few people can remember the broader details of the story, let alone the finer ones.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The reminders serve only to pander to the audience of lesser intelligence. Few people can remember the broader details of the story, let alone the finer ones.

Yeah, I try not to watch them. There are still plenty of things that I forget, though, but I do not really care, tbh. I like to watch re-runs in the background if nothing else is on, and I will pick up on details that I may have long forgot, or pre-figured some later event that could not have possibly been expected at that time (for someone that is new to the content).

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't think he thinks that. He knows that they strung up some charred farmer's boys and pretended. On that note, I think Theon may emerge again from Reek soon. Ramsay is acknowledging things he did as Theon and Sansa thinks he killed her brothers. Ramsay told Reek not to keep secrets, so he might be ready to spill the beans about them.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

Thoen knows he didn't kill them, even in his state. In the episode where Theon is giving Ramsay a shave in front of Roose he tells the story about the farm kids, that was well after his breaking. If anything that scene was there to remind us Sansa still thinks he killer her bothers.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Thoen knows he didn't kill them, even in his state. In the episode where Theon is giving Ramsay a shave in front of Roose he tells the story about the farm kids, that was well after his breaking. If anything that scene was there to remind us Sansa still thinks he killer her bothers.

Ah, see. I forgot that! :D

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
There's 30 something "major" characters (alive), that's not counting people like Pycell, Grey Worm or Hodor. It's a lot of details and plot lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_characters

I laughed at the comment someone posted about needing to be spoon fed the previous show details, some of which go back to season 1-2. It's fucking necessary.
Maybe to a plebeian like you; but for the hard-core GoT aristocrat it's nothing! I re-watch every episode every season so that I can know exactly what's going on in the next episode!

Not really: I did this for Lost and was fucked over by it, never getting THAT MUCH into a show again... fuck them "no it's not purgatory"... yea, because ALL LIFE is purgatory, great fucking fuck you.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
wtf? Dany offering to marry that guy seems so out of character for her.

goodbye sir friendzone. we will miss u.

and I still cant believe they killed off Selmy.

where the heck is Dragoon flying off to?

and I think even tho both the show and GRRM will reach the same outcome for the end of the series, I think the show will start to diverge GREATLY from what GRRM has wrote/will write on getting to that outcome.

Mar 10, 2005
friendzone was shown in a pre-season trailer fighting in what i now guess is a newly reopened fighting pit. not the act of a man expecting to die of old age. shireen boratheon's grey scale was cured but we have no idea how.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
There's 30 something "major" characters (alive), that's not counting people like Pycell, Grey Worm or Hodor. It's a lot of details and plot lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_Thrones_characters

I laughed at the comment someone posted about needing to be spoon fed the previous show details, some of which go back to season 1-2. It's fucking necessary.

smackababy read the books, so for those types I think it's very difficult to separate the enforcement of details from one source to the other, and why it is easier to recall such things.

Hell, maybe because he is now one of my favorite characters, I have finally upgraded Generic Englishman #3 to his actual name, Stannis. He and Roose are basically the same actor. ...and yeah, I thought that was Stannis showing up to stab Jon Stark and his mommy. This is weird, I thought....

I kind of like Roose now, too--because there is no Tywin. He will never be as awesome as Tywin, though. Roose doesn't seem to have a strategic mind of any sort, but he's basically the Saddam to Ramsay's Uday. Weird family, that one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
friendzone was shown in a pre-season trailer fighting in what i now guess is a newly reopened fighting pit. not the act of a man expecting to die of old age. shireen boratheon's grey scale was cured but we have no idea how.

"All of the talents minds of all of the greatest Maesters in the world." ..See, I remember that part! (It was the previous episode)

Anyway, it can certainly be done, and I'm sure those maester dudes would have recorded that knowledge.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
smackababy read the books, so for those types I think it's very difficult to separate the enforcement of details from one source to the other, and why it is easier to recall such things.

Hell, maybe because he is now one of my favorite characters, I have finally upgraded Generic Englishman #3 to his actual name, Stannis. He and Roose are basically the same actor. ...and yeah, I thought that was Stannis showing up to stab Jon Stark and his mommy. This is weird, I thought....

I kind of like Roose now, too--because there is no Tywin. He will never be as awesome as Tywin, though. Roose doesn't seem to have a strategic mind of any sort, but he's basically the Saddam to Ramsay's Uday. Weird family, that one.

Roose will never fucking skin a stag while delivering a speech on family values, that's for sure. But he's kinda cool. I expect him to die soon, changing of the guard is the story line.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Roose will never fucking skin a stag while delivering a speech on family values, that's for sure. But he's kinda cool. I expect him to die soon, changing of the guard is the story line.

i was shocked that stag skiining w/o cut scenes.

wonder how many takes/stags did they go thru?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
He's still not really a king. But at least house Boratheon today has Targaryen blood. Stannis and his brothers for example are one fourth Targaryen.

I don't remember that info in the GOT tv series at all.
And the RLJ theory is from the book and cannot be surmised from watching the tv series alone.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
One thing I don't get and I'm not sure if I got it from the show or the web so I will spoiler tag it just in case:

Didn't men use dragons in war by riding them? I thought that's what I heard, as opposed to their "leader" like Danaeris attacking say a fort and the dragons fly overhead and protect their 'mother'?
Perhaps the "greyscale' protects warriors from dragon fire and they are the ones who ride and fight the dragons?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I don't remember that info in the GOT tv series at all.
And the RLJ theory is from the book and cannot be surmised from watching the tv series alone.

I surmised it without the books. We know everything we need to know when Petyr Baelish talks to Sansa at Lyanna Stark's grave in the crypts of Winterfell. "Oh! That's what 'R+L=J' means!"

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
One thing I don't get and I'm not sure if I got it from the show or the web so I will spoiler tag it just in case:

Didn't men use dragons in war by riding them? I thought that's what I heard, as opposed to their "leader" like Danaeris attacking say a fort and the dragons fly overhead and protect their 'mother'?
Perhaps the "greyscale' protects warriors from dragon fire and they are the ones who ride and fight the dragons?

Yes, but Dragon Riders are almost certainly Wargs. The gifted Targaryans can't be burned but aren't Dragon Riders, so I doubt Grayscale alone would let someone ride.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I'm pretty sure it
requires a special warg to be a dragon rider, like Bran Stark

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I thought Hodor died in the season 4 finale...?

Jojen died, stabby-stab from the skeletons. The child throwing fireballs saved the rest of the group and Hodor took Bran into the cave with the 3 eyed raven guy.

edit: I read that plot arc is on hold this season, so we might see something towards the finale, but who knows.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure it
requires a special warg to be a dragon rider, like Bran Stark

No one really knows. We just know that Dany can't control her dragons and one is flying around burning children and shit. At least, we can assume he is burning children, they don't show any of him.

Jojen died, stabby-stab from the skeletons. The child throwing fireballs saved the rest of the group and Hodor took Bran into the cave with the 3 eyed raven guy.

edit: I read that plot arc is on hold this season, so we might see something towards the finale, but who knows.
The story arc is caught up with the books and I imagine they want to exhaust all detailed story before embarking on new content. Plus, his story was painfully terrible anyway. And it looked like he (Bran) grew a foot between each time they showed his cripple ass on screen.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Are they spreading the series too thin? There's too many different story lines going on and it looks like they are going to be splitting off again.

These are the story lines I see them now and coming up.

King's Landing with Cersei and the new king and queen
Daenarys
Breanne and Podric
Sansa and the Boltons/Theon
Jon Snow and the Wildlings
Stannis Baratheon and his family against the Boltons
And with Jon and Stannis going off, will we still have stuff going on at the wall?
Arya
Tyrion and Jorah
Bran at the tree
The woman in Dorne who wants to start a war

I might even be missing some...

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Are they spreading the series too thin? There's too many different story lines going on and it looks like they are going to be splitting off again.

These are the story lines I see them now and coming up.

King's Landing with Cersei and the new king and queen
Daenarys
Breanne and Podric
Sansa and the Boltons/Theon
Jon Snow and the Wildlings
Stannis Baratheon and his family against the Boltons
And with Jon and Stannis going off, will we still have stuff going on at the wall?
Arya
Tyrion and Jorah
Bran at the tree
The woman in Dorne who wants to start a war

I might even be missing some...

They are actually condensing story lines if you can believe it.