Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 404 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
But to be fair the Lord of Light is also the same god that has made magic demon babies and brought people back from the dead. As far as religion in Westeros goes I'd peg this one as being one of the more credible. I don't think we've ever seen anything supernatural come out of people following the Faith of the Seven or the Old Gods of the Forest (although the Forest Children themselves are keeping up the magic pretty well)

Well, if what the warlocks said were true, magic was reborn when Dany had her babies. But, the Lord of Light has displayed "miracles" far more than any of the other gods. The faceless men and the old gods (forest gods) have done some minor stuff here and there, but nothing like making a shadow baby or reviving people.

From what we've seen, warging and greensight are magical elements that are mostly if not exclusively in the north and "old god" associated. And then of course the children of the forest and their fireballs...

then there's the Many-Faced God/God of Death that the Faceless men like Jaqen H'ghar serve, and they seem to have some legitimate magical ability.

Really its only the Faith of the Seven that seems to be truly benign other than political influence

Mar 10, 2005
to the best of our knowledge, she's never cut a guy's dick off and forced him to eat it... that's a pretty redeeming quality imho.

whoa whoa whoa. ramsay mailed theon's prick to his family.

this was just a little joke, showing he's not such a bad guy:
tumblr_mrlob5Tr7q1se9fcoo1_500.gif

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
From what we've seen, warging and greensight are magical elements that are mostly if not exclusively in the north and "old god" associated. And then of course the children of the forest and their fireballs...

then there's the Many-Faced God/God of Death that the Faceless men like Jaqen H'ghar serve, and they seem to have some legitimate magical ability.

Really its only the Faith of the Seven that seems to be truly benign other than political influence

We've only seen wargs in the North, but Jojen is from fairly south of the north. Greywater Watch (where he is from), is in the Neck. I wouldn't say it is confined strictly to those that worship the old gods / north. The Wildling captive Osha even says the weirwood were everywhere, but had since been cut down in the southern parts of Westeros. It is also unknown how the dragon riders could actually control their dragons. It is assumed they were wargs, but nobody really knows. Wargs are rare enough that most (even those in the North) don't know of their existence.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

The faith of the seven reeks of a man-made religion, so that makes sense.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I don't see Roose Bolton in such a negative light. Once Robb Stark broke his marriage agreement with Walder Frey and killed, I believe, a couple of his top allies, Bolton saw the handwriting on the wall and allied up with the Lannisters and Frey because he saw the writing on the wall for Stark and his allies and it wasn't very promising.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
My guess is that the "old gods" are supposed to be their true and benevolent gods, The Seven are supposed to be false gods, and the "Lord of Light" is something of a devil or demon god (pagan devil worship).

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I don't see Roose Bolton in such a negative light. Once Robb Stark broke his marriage agreement with Walder Frey and killed, I believe, a couple of his top allies, Bolton saw the handwriting on the wall and allied up with the Lannisters and Frey because he saw the writing on the wall for Stark and his allies and it wasn't very promising.

Pretty much this. Roose Bolton saw Robb's allies leaving him after he beheaded his bannerman. Sure, it was a dick move, but Robb screwed up beyond what his victories would carry him. Allying with the side that was going to win is just the good idea.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
mrs. stannis, for sure.

Selyse Baratheon may be a terrible mother but when it comes to bad parents I don't think any other character comes close to matching Randyll Tarly (Samwell's father).

It's even worse than it at first seems, since you know what other group besides the Night's Watch is required to throw away familial ties? Maesters. Sam could have been sent to the Citadel instead of Castle Black. Granted, he still would have had to take up a vow of celibacy, but this would have been a far more fitting position for him. His father had so much contempt for him not being a soldier that he sent him to a place full of criminals where he'd probably be tormented horribly before he's killed in duty, he probably wanted him to suffer and die.

Apparently it's still possible for him to be trained as a Maester, hopefully Maester Aemon pulls some strings or something to make him his successor.

Last edited:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
A major upgrade is "ruling" a land where everyone hates you, you have no allies or external support, the person who signed the deal to give you power in the first place is dead and someone with a significantly larger army who expects fealty is riding on your position at this very moment? That's clearly much better than having some minor land holdings and little concern of being killed by every single person you meet.

I get what you're saying but when you said "He had everything and he traded it purely out of a lust for power" I have to disagree. He really didn't have that much before he made his move. Yeah, he's not as secure as he was when Tywin was still alive but he's now a player. He wasn't that beforehand. The odds maybe stacked against him, but he's at least in the game. Also when you're house is known for flaying the flesh off of people so much that it's your crest, you're probably not on many people's Christmas card list.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Are we going to see the iron isles any more? Seems like that pompous ass sister and dad are ripe for being taken down a notch.

Also, poor Theon. What was this guy supposed to do? Doing what he did got him him into his current awful spot, but even if he didn't care about earning his dad's respect and played it safe with the fisherman, the iron isles still got it's asses kicked. And even if he had stayed loyal to Robb, he'd probably just be dead at the red wedding. Screwed every which way imaginable or what?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Are we going to see the iron isles any more? Seems like that pompous ass sister and dad are ripe for being taken down a notch.

Also, poor Theon. What was this guy supposed to do? Doing what he did got him him into his current awful spot, but even if he didn't care about earning his dad's respect and played it safe with the fisherman, the iron isles still got it's asses kicked. And even if he had stayed loyal to Robb, he'd probably just be dead at the red wedding. Screwed every which way imaginable or what?

Yeah I was wondering about the Iron Isles during the last episode. Last we saw though I think they were turned away by Ramsey and the beaten down Theon, right? Seems like they may have lost any motivation at this point.

KT

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I'm betting we won't see iron isles this season based on their current plotlines. If Reek turns back into Theon at some point, but not likely until then. Maybe if Stannis takes WF and tries to make them swear fealty as he's taking the north.

They just don't have a tie to current events otherwise.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah I was wondering about the Iron Isles during the last episode. Last we saw though I think they were turned away by Ramsey and the beaten down Theon, right? Seems like they may have lost any motivation at this point.

KT

Yeah, I believe that once the got back to there ship, Yara said that her brother is dead. Does that mean she has given up on him? Who really knows.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, I believe that once the got back to there ship, Yara said that her brother is dead. Does that mean she has given up on him? Who really knows.

Yeah, I think so. There is also no motivation for them to take the north, especially Winterfell, because they aren't an inland people. It's what pissed off Dad and Sister so much when Theon decided to march to Winterfell.

With Theon dead to them, no interest in the capital of the North, I'm not sure what they would be after. Maybe if the Boltons decide to go after them at some point, for reasons, we get to see Ramsay vs Sis again. But that would be weird, as the Boltons surely have to deal with Stannis.

Is there any reason for Stannis to manage some sort of alliance with the Iron folks? The only thing I can see is for Stannis to ally with Ironborn in order to send them to take out the hilarious bridge guy that is allied to the Boltons, and allow Stannis easy passage south--the creeper yet funny dude that killed the Starks...whose name suddenly escapes me.

I can see the Ironborn being interested in that big-ass river to move their ships back and forth through the continent.

Mar 10, 2005
you're thinking of walder frey at the twins.

i don't see anyone bargaining with the iron shitheads. they are the biggest chumps in westeros and even they will tell you they'll turn on you asap. stannis doesn't bargain with suckas.

stannis won't bargain with the freys either, assuming he gets through bolton. bend a muthafuckin knee or be destroyed!

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Is there any reason for Stannis to manage some sort of alliance with the Iron folks?

The same reason the Starks wanted to ally with him, navy. Maybe Stannis looses his navy while Jon and the free folk are fleeing the north?

BTW, let's talk about that. Didn't Mance get ALL the free folk together? I thought they made a huge point of this in previous seasons. He got the giants, the cannibals, this tribe, that tribe... Sure there might be stragglers, but they made it seem like half of them are still up there. Enough to need a navy to bring them down.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't think Stannis would allow the Frey's to bend a knee, he knows they are lying cunts and would probably just sack the Twins if he got that far.

Fo sho. I'd miss that Frey dude, though. I hope he has plenty of awful things to say while expiring.

I can see Stannis making a tenuous alliance with the Iron, assuming they are willing to do his dirty work.

It's like Sins of a Solar Empire: you just pay the raving bands of pirates to pillage and annoy your rivals while you place your attention elsewhere--building armies, taking out some other asshole. I doubt Stannis would ever assume such a thing to be a permanent, mutual alliance. And without him in charge as part of the initial agreement, of course that could never happen.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The question is what will happen at Winterfell when Stannis shows up with his superior army and Roose Bolton without any available help outside and internally a lack of support as an usurper? Would he bend a knee to Stannis? Would Stannis allow Bolton to stay on as ruler of WF as long as he joined his army to Stannisses? It would seem that Stannis might gain more by accepting Boltons fealty than losing a portion of his forces defeating him.