Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 319 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Right, but once the kid comes of age, LF would be cast aside. Besides, that little brat is a bit of a wildcard, and he annoys me more than Joffrey ever did. I hope he's "dealt with" rather quickly.

I don't think he will "grow up" though. I mean, he was still being breast fed at his age.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I was under the impression that coming of age had only to do with his 16th (I think) birthday and nothing more. I think he was 8-9 or something the first time we met him, so ... in theory it could be only a few more years until he's of age.

Mar 10, 2005
dumbest line in the whole show:

"the bars on those gates are 4 inches thick, cold-rolled steel."

cold or hot steel rolling technology does not fit with the world of game of thrones at all. for that matter, the 2 valeryian swords made earlier this year were clearly cast and not forged, not at all how swords are made.

the internet expert blacksmith inside me is glad to get that off his chest.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
:D haha. I am vindicated! (I hope....)

anyhoo, yeah, very great episode. Oberyn vs Mountain should be good, but I suspect the Prince's head is growing tired of its shoulders. ...though I hope not.

And--Tyrion DID pick Jamie. Jamie just pussed out. what a bastard. :mad:

ROFL!! And again, I have to ask, do you even bother watching the show or just make up nonsense on a week to week basis?

Tyrion DID NOT pick Jaime. It was right there in the very first scene, Jaime excused himself before Tryion asked because of how poorly his training was going which is what everyone with a brain has been telling you all along. How is your attention span so short that you can't even follow along through scene 1?

Tyrion: I survived one trial by combat even though you weren't there to save me.

Jaime: I can't save you this time either, my training has proved that I can't beat a stableboy with my left hand.

Then and only then does Tyrion joke about how amusing it would be to see Jaime fight as the family name would get snuffed out with a single swing of a sword.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
dumbest line in the whole show:

"the bars on those gates are 4 inches thick, cold-rolled steel."

cold or hot steel rolling technology does not fit with the world of game of thrones at all. for that matter, the 2 valeryian swords made earlier this year were clearly cast and not forged, not at all how swords are made.

the internet expert blacksmith inside me is glad to get that off his chest.

1) Why doesn't rolling technology exist in GoT? The show is set to closely mimic Medieval Europe and rolling steel dates back to the 1500's, so it fits.

2) What exactly is the process for making a Valyrian steel sword? As magic was part of the construction it's not too big a leap to allow the steel to possess properties than can be retained even if melted and cast. How does your "internet expert blacksmith" allow for magical weapons to exist while insisting that they follow the same smithing rules as mundane weapons? Bronze swords were cast, perhaps Valryian steel can be too.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
the inn at the crossroads - great scene! i liked hot pie's appearance - not a larger-than-life character, just a shmo that's established at this location and the big characters interact with him. brienne's lines were a bit heavy-handed and not at all discrete, but i guess that was necessary to move it along towards the eyrie.

that's how her character is...I thought this was obvious by now

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I would assume that's going to happen soon. It wouldn't really make sense for Littlefinger to off Lysa and let the kid live since Lysa was technically just a regent. If Littlefinger wants complete control of the Vale, he'd have to kill the kid too.

yep. I think the Kid now becomes Lord of the Vale, then once he is gone...it goes to Sansa being the only blood relative that we know of? Or would she count as proper succession?

I guess the problem with that is that Sansa's role there needs to remain hidden. It seems that LF really needs her status to grab the North, but there is a problem with her being a fugitive. The Kid needs to die, but I think he's too important to LF right now.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Excellent episode. Probably the best of the season so far.

KT

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
1) Why doesn't rolling technology exist in GoT? The show is set to closely mimic Medieval Europe and rolling steel dates back to the 1500's, so it fits.

2) What exactly is the process for making a Valyrian steel sword? As magic was part of the construction it's not too big a leap to allow the steel to possess properties than can be retained even if melted and cast. How does your "internet expert blacksmith" allow for magical weapons to exist while insisting that they follow the same smithing rules as mundane weapons? Bronze swords were cast, perhaps Valryian steel can be too.

I always assume Valryian steel was like damascus steel. not magicial just made from exotic materials and hard to craft

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
And, anyone who didn't think Oberyn wouldfight the Mountain wasn't paying attention. He already established that was one of the people he held responsible for killing his sister and her children, plus, he wanted to avenge them himself. They pretty much foreshadowed the entire thing and as soon as "I demand a trial by combat" was said, you knew it was going to happen for sure.

I'm sorry, but I still don't buy it. Out of all the show watchers who didn't read the books, weren't spoiled by someone who did, didn't accidentally see the title of the next episode, and never discussed any story speculation with someone who did know what's going to happen, I'd say maybe only 1-5% of these people would have guessed Oberyn championing Tyrion, and that had to be a wild guess.

It was *not* obvious at all. Not the way they presented the story in the show.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
ROFL!! And again, I have to ask, do you even bother watching the show or just make up nonsense on a week to week basis?

Tyrion DID NOT pick Jaime. It was right there in the very first scene, Jaime excused himself before Tryion asked because of how poorly his training was going which is what everyone with a brain has been telling you all along. How is your attention span so short that you can't even follow along through scene 1?

Tyrion: I survived one trial by combat even though you weren't there to save me.

Jaime: I can't save you this time either, my training has proved that I can't beat a stableboy with my left hand.

Then and only then does Tyrion joke about how amusing it would be to see Jaime fight as the family name would get snuffed out with a single swing of a sword.

Are you OK there, bud? Just watch Tyrion's face. He wanted Jamie to fight for him, it was there in the suggestion. The implication being, at the beginning of the scene, that this is what they were already discussing. It's obvious that Jamie is Tyrion's first pick--any fool can see that. Otherwise, that conversation would not have happened.

The "How funny would it be to see father's face with you on the ground" was another nudge to get Jamie to fight for him. It points out how "useful" it would be as a play against daddy.

Anyway, it didn't happen in the end, and you get to see your Spaniard possibly lose his head now. :D (The Mountian looks terrible though--slow and clumsy. Weird that Bronn would stay say fast for his size--when all we saw in this episode was the Mountain being slow and doing nothing but murdering unarmed supplicating peasants.)

But, as this is very important to you, I grant you:

resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-you-re-the-man-now-dog-babdf4.jpg

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
yep. I think the Kid now becomes Lord of the Vale, then once he is gone...it goes to Sansa being the only blood relative that we know of? Or would she count as proper succession?

I guess the problem with that is that Sansa's role there needs to remain hidden. It seems that LF really needs her status to grab the North, but there is a problem with her being a fugitive. The Kid needs to die, but I think he's too important to LF right now.

The lines of succession would give the Vale (in the event of Robyn's death) to the closest blood relative, which is probably Sansa. However, LF couldn't possibly want to gamble that. Being as smart as he is, I find it hard to believe a child like that could outwit him. He can easily manipulate Robyn, as Lord Protector, until he comes of age and does LF bidding as a pawn. He is like 12 or so I believe. So, 4 years in LF's tutelage on such a brat, Mommy's boy should keep in on LF's side.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Right, but once the kid comes of age, LF would be cast aside. Besides, that little brat is a bit of a wildcard, and he annoys me more than Joffrey ever did. I hope he's "dealt with" rather quickly.

I wonder if Robin can fly? I hope we find out soon, smashing Sansa's snow Winterfell was over the line. :)

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I always assume Valryian steel was like damascus steel. not magicial just made from exotic materials and hard to craft

I'm sure the spoiler police will be pissed, but valyrian steel was supposed to be made using dragon fire and only a few people knew the secrets of reworking it. Most of the valyrian swords are ancient, and new ones can no longer be made. Only reworked.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm sure the spoiler police will be pissed, but valyrian steel was supposed to be made using dragon fire and only a few people knew the secrets of reworking it. Most of the valyrian swords are ancient, and new ones can no longer be made. Only reworked.

This. Tywin even states there are like 3 smiths in the world that can rework Valyrian steel and he sent for the best. Making the steel itself always implied some kind of magic qualities, and reworking it required exceptional skill and special knowledge.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
The lines of succession would give the Vale (in the event of Robyn's death) to the closest blood relative, which is probably Sansa. However, LF couldn't possibly want to gamble that. Being as smart as he is, I find it hard to believe a child like that could outwit him. He can easily manipulate Robyn, as Lord Protector, until he comes of age and does LF bidding as a pawn. He is like 12 or so I believe. So, 4 years in LF's tutelage on such a brat, Mommy's boy should keep in on LF's side.

I am confused but why would LF just be lord protector as he married the kids mother thus wouldn't he become the "Lord" or such of that region until he passes away?

Or does the vale have a different type of leadership structure?

Either way if the kid and mom were as bat crazy as they made them look I would have to assume a lot of the people under them would hope from different leadership that they could recognize.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Hot Pie!

now that I think about it a little they really should have aged/roughed up the actor playing the Mountain. he has such a baby face, really hard to believe that is Sandor's older brother.

He looks insanely massive in the preview opposite Oberyn.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Love all the book snobs saying anyone who did not think Oberyn would be the one to fight for Tyrion are complete idiots. Give me a fucking break. Go fellate yourselves in the book thread FFS.

KT

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I am confused but why would LF just be lord protector as he married the kids mother thus wouldn't he become the "Lord" or such of that region until he passes away?

Either way if the kid and mom were as bat crazy as they made them look I would have to assume a lot of the people under them would hope from different leadership that they could recognize.

Because Jon arryns son is the lord of the vale. Until he is old enough to take over LF is lord protector. Kind of like how cersei became queen regent after king Robert died while joffrey was still too young.

I do suspect that many in the vale did not enjoy their crazy lady and weak little lord, but since this is the game of thrones they won't welcome LF and will covet the power themselves.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Anyway, it didn't happen in the end, and you get to see your Spaniard possibly lose his head now. :D (The Mountian looks terrible though--slow and clumsy. Weird that Bronn would stay say fast for his size--when all we saw in this episode was the Mountain being slow and doing nothing but murdering unarmed supplicating peasants.)

I think that description is from the book. They didn't really show a good example of it.

Be honest, if you saw that actor coming at you in real life, you'd run away crying.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

By marrying Lysa he became Lord Protector of the Vale. Since, they married and consummated it, he is now in charge until Robyn comes of age.

Love all the book snobs saying anyone who did not think Oberyn would be the one to fight for Tyrion are complete idiots. Give me a fucking break. Go fellate yourselves in the book thread FFS.

KT

It was pretty obvious. 100% of Oberyn's screen time involved him stating, at least one, he wanted to avenge his sister and her children. Everyone knew the Mountain was "Tywin's mad dog", and a likely candidate in the absence of any real fighters for the Crown. Cersei wouldn't name Jaime, and Barristan is gone (and those are pretty much the last of the "best swordsmen' around, as Ned is dead). The Hound already establish that outside of little girls, Trant is worthless. And, if the Mountain was named, Oberyn has been crying about vengeance long enough, why wouldn't you expect him to step forward, even if he dislikes Tyrion (and all Lannisters). This gives him a legal, and public, way to fight the Mountain.