Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 280 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
you mean like that war we saw very little of? i wonder if the dire wolves are less expensive than the dragons to animate. also, is the reason the blackish purple dragon is always featured because the modeling for the other 2 is incomplete?

The dire wolves are real dogs as far as I know. I believe they are a mixed breed of Husky and German Shepard. Maybe Malamute, instead of Husky though.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I imagine white walkers are expensive and demand higher salaries than others.

Considering the current kid playing the new Lannister child-king is the same actor that played a previously-murdered child (I forget the character right now), I wouldn't put it past the producers to just hire the same white walker.

I mean, they all look the same to me. :\

he played Martyn Lannister

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The dire wolves are real dogs as far as I know. I believe they are a mixed breed of Husky and German Shepard. Maybe Malamute, instead of Husky though.

They are digitally reconstructed, though. They are far larger than any real dog (as presented on the show)

Beniof and what's-his-face were discussing the effort that went into digitally tweaking their size for the show.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
They are digitally reconstructed, though. They are far larger than any real dog (as presented on the show)

Beniof and what's-his-face were discussing the effort that went into digitally tweaking their size for the show.

Now that I think about it, they are probably mostly digital now. The earlier scenes where they were just pups would be easy to use real dogs, but finding a spitz breed larger than a bullmastiff would be tough.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I'm a little confused. There are two kinds of white walkers? The guy we saw touch the babies cheek last night, was he a new kind?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I'm a little confused. There are two kinds of white walkers? The guy we saw touch the babies cheek last night, was he a new kind?

Yes. There are the white walkers (horse riding guys), raised dead, and this new kind of book spoiling walker they showed. He looked fairly reptilian to me, so perhaps he is some kind of ice dragon. I believe this was mentioned in the show, but I am not 100% sure, so I tagged it.
These might be the ones know in legends / stories as "the Others".

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
There are white walkers, the guys we saw in S1E1.

White_Walker_2x10.jpg

The guy we saw last night looks a bit different.

game-of-thrones-season-4-white-walkers.jpg

Looks mostly the same but he has clothes on, while looking for that image I found this.

aQ2LhwX.jpg

Kind of looks like a crown? King of the walkers? Other king of the north? :p

So maybe special as a leader or something, but I didn't get that he was a different type of creature.

Mar 10, 2005
i think the new guys are the real white walkers and the wrinkley guys are the lieutenants. the view from inside the ice altar was shown in bran's dream at the tree.

another easy victory for danerys, another week she's a total waste of time. obviously they've cut her story down to nothing.

bran's story has really improved since the scene in the tower, where he splits from his brother. going to craster's is a matter of convenience for the writers, though. "all the wildling settlements are abandoned"...yes, which is why they should take shelter there and not fucking craster's.

jaime and his violent swings from good guy to bad guy. i have to wonder if he's using brienne to find sansa for him. how the hell does one even go about finding a missing person that doesn't want to be found? sansa has very few places to run to, but you can't just go around asking for her.

baelish seals the deal with lady arryn? he must have told her of his intentions to bring down the lannisters. he's now lord of harrenhal and the vale, giving him control of 1/4 to 1/3 of the continent. well done, baelish.

lady olenna - "the following morning....the boy couldn't bloody walk"

DAMN!!!!

"and once he could, the only thing he wanted was what i'd given him the night before."

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TiredEngineer

Jul 26, 2013
I haven't read the books, but wasn't it kind of obvious what was happening with the babies?

Edit: Maybe this means more for book readers...but to me a white walker is a white walker. This really has no significance for me that it may be a new kind.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
what else would have happened? i guess they could be eaten, because babies have extra magic points.

I would think babies need to grind out several more levels to get the MP boost, no?

Oh, are you saying they are a consumable boost? Like:

Baby: Food. +15 boost to MP and +5% XP per kill. 30min

Craster Baby: Pure Food: +20 Mp boost. and +5% XP per kill. 2 hours.

I can see that.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Wait a minute. LF is going to marry Lady Arryn? She's the wackadoo who was breast feeding her son in the Eyrie? And once the little tit snuggler is old enough he will be in charge and LF becomes nothing?

Not sure how that's such a good long term deal for LF. Of course there is always the possibility of a little accident being so high up. Its a good thing LF is such an honorable man or the little nip licker might be in trouble.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Wait a minute. LF is going to marry Lady Arryn? She's the wackadoo who was breast feeding her son in the Eyrie? And once the little tit snuggler is old enough he will be in charge and LF becomes nothing?

Not sure how that's such a good long term deal for LF. Of course there is always the possibility of a little accident being so high up. Its a good think LF is such an honorable man or the little nip licker might be in trouble.

LF is in position (thanks to inheriting Harrenhall) to marry Lysa and become Protector of the Vale until her son come of ruling age. Given his moving speech to Sansa, I doubt he wants to stop at the Vale. Plus, he has the key to the north.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Revisiting the budget for the series I imagine its very difficult for HBO to figure out how much the show actually takes in, in revenue. It's unlike a network show where they know how much the advertisers pay and can take an educated guess on how much they will earn from syndication.

HBO has to try and figure out how many people subscribe all or in part because of GoT. Then you have to figure out how much promos before and after the show influence people to subscribe. Then you have to judge how many people will drop the show after GoT ends. DVD and Bluray sales are the only concrete numbers they have.

I am guessing HBO does not care if the show doesn't make a profit. It is like football that networks hope to just break even on, but show because of the other ways it helps the network.

So, going into the fourth year there might be fiscal restraints that weren't there in previous seasons.

TiredEngineer

Jul 26, 2013
Revisiting the budget for the series I imagine its very difficult for HBO to figure out how much the show actually takes in, in revenue. It's unlike a network show where they know how much the advertisers pay and can take an educated guess on how much they will earn from syndication.

HBO has to try and figure out how many people subscribe all or in part because of GoT. Then you have to figure out how much promos before and after the show influence people to subscribe. Then you have to judge how many people will drop the show after GoT ends. DVD and Bluray sales are the only concrete numbers they have.

I am guessing HBO does not care if the show doesn't make a profit. It is like football that networks hope to just break even on, but show because of the other ways it helps the network.

So, going into the fourth year there might be fiscal restraints that weren't there in previous seasons.

Maybe it's just the type of people I hang out with, but I have only ever subscribed for GOT, and everyone else I know who subscribes is the same way except for my brother.

I agree it is hard to measure, but using my anecdotal evidence nearly ALL of their money should be for GOT (/joke). :biggrin:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I'd say there were likely there the whole time. HBO doesn't make money directly from GoT, just on how many people are willing to subscribe to watch it. GoT increasing in popularity as it has been might not get nearly as large of a budget increase as a show on say Fox getting the same viewership.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Why don't you just ask your question in the book thread here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2176691

Because that would potentially expose me to a ridiculous number of actual spoilers.

This is not a spoiler unless you are one of the butthurt people in here who can't tolerate any mention of the books. It will spoil nothing upcoming in the show.

This scene was a spoiler for the book readers. No one had any idea what was happening with the babies. Entirely new material for the show only.

Thanks. That makes sense.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
you mean like that war we saw very little of? i wonder if the dire wolves are less expensive than the dragons to animate. also, is the reason the blackish purple dragon is always featured because the modeling for the other 2 is incomplete?

They don't cut battles for budgetary reasons. They're just not plot devices and would be useless filler. Blackwater is the exception that proves the rule because several important plot events unfold during the battle. And I guess you can count Astapor as another plot battle. Other than that though it is simply enough to know that battles take place and we see the lead up to them and then the aftermath.