Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 282 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Yes. There are the white walkers (horse riding guys), raised dead, and this new kind of book spoiling walker they showed. He looked fairly reptilian to me, so perhaps he is some kind of ice dragon. I believe this was mentioned in the show, but I am not 100% sure, so I tagged it. These might be the ones know in legends / stories as "the Others".

Others and White Walkers are just two names for the same thing. The reason they almost always use the term White Walkers in the show, is because Lost had Others.

An HBO page called him the Night's King. They have since removed that. So I'm not sure if it was a mistake or not. If you've watched the DVD extra's, the Night's King was a man. A commander of the Night's Watch who was seduced by a White Walker. That didn't look much like a man.

I guess it does "spoil" the books since they have never said exactly why they take babies.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I imagine white walkers are expensive and demand higher salaries than others.

Considering the current kid playing the new Lannister child-king is the same actor that played a previously-murdered child (I forget the character right now), I wouldn't put it past the producers to just hire the same white walker.

I mean, they all look the same to me. :\

I don't know who played the White Walker this time, but Ian Whyte has played a White Walker before. He also played Gregor Clegane in season 2, and the giant last season.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Wow, really interesting episode this week, several additions not covered in the books. Fortunately they were all good changes, unlike the
Jaime rape travesty
from last week.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
A Storm of Swords (which GoT Season 3 and 4 follows) was released in 2000. That is 14 years ago. If you are worried about that being spoiled (especially in regards to content already aired on a show you've already watched), you're a moron.
Name calling doesn't help your lame excuse that everyone has already read the books. Make a complaint in the moderators subforum if you don't like it since we've already had this discussion and the decision was to keep book related info out of this thread.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
It was painfully obvious to me in episode 2 that Lady Olenna poisoned Joffrey. There is a shot of her looking at his goblet sitting on the table that pretty much spelled it out, right after she yelled to "help your king!" Lady Olenna basically admitting the poisoning to Margaery in episode 4 just confirmed it.

I do have a big problem with anyone with half a brain, especially Tywin Lanister, believing that Tyrion would poison his own nephew in such a way that he would be the main suspect. Tyrion isn't that dumb, and his father should know that. I can see Cersei believing it because she hates Tyrion so much, but even that is a stretch. And Jaime should know his little brother is smarter than that too.

I hate when authors have smart characters do dumb stuff, so I hope none of this plays out the way it seems to be with so many smart characters believing that a smart Tyrion would do something so stupid and obvious.

Also, a while back we had that conversation between two characters (can't remember which) about where power resides, with the king, a rich man or a holy man, when they all command a sellsword to kill the other two. The sellsword in the story has the real power and it goes to whomever he decides to fight for. So the moral is that power goes to those the soldiers believe should have it.

With this idea in mind, why would a smart person like Jaime, who has power, take shit off of his sister Cersei? He's not one to give his allegiance to someone he doesn't believe is in the right. He already killed one king, but now he seems to be bending to his sister's demands that Tyrion be held accountable for Joffrey's murder. He's smarter and better than that.

Writers/authors take note: Please don't create strong, smart characters and then have them do stupid, weak stuff that makes us hate them for it. Pretty please.

Last edited:

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
It was painfully obvious to me in episode 2 that Lady Olenna poisoned Joffrey. There is a shot of her looking at his goblet sitting on the table that pretty much spelled it out, right after she yelled to "help your king!" Lady Olenna basically admitting the poisoning to Margaery in episode 4 just confirmed it.

I do have a big problem with anyone with half a brain, especially Tywin Lanister, believing that Tyrion would poison his own nephew in such a way that he would be the main suspect. Tyrion isn't that dumb, and his father should know that. I can see Cersei believing it because she hates Tyrion so much, but even that is a stretch. And Jaime should know his little brother is smarter than that too.

I hate when authors have smart characters do dumb stuff, so I hope none of this plays out the way it seems to be with so many smart characters believing that a smart Tyrion would do something so stupid and obvious.

Also, a while back we had that conversation between two characters (can't remember which) about where power resides, with the king, a rich man or a holy man, when they all command a sellsword to kill the other two. The sellsword in the story has the real power and it goes to whomever he decides to fight for. So the moral is that power goes to those the soldiers believe should have it.

With this idea in mind, why would a smart person like Jaime, who has power, take shit off of his sister Cersei? He's not one to give his allegiance to someone he doesn't believe is in the right. He already killed one king, but now he seems to be bending to his sister's demands that Tyrion be held accountable for Joffrey's murder. He's smarter and better than that.

Writers/authors take note: Please don't create strong, smart characters and then have them do stupid, weak stuff that makes us hate them for it. Pretty please.

I thought they made it clear that Jaime doesn't believe Tyrion did it. Also, whether or not Tywin believes that, they've always portrayed him as a cold, calculating type, he wouldn't be pushed to action by emotion alone. He already despises Tyrion, as has already been made clear and Tommen is much easier for him to guide/control as they also made clear this last episode.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Ok I'm done here. Too much book crap persists here.

Just report and ignore them, problem solved. Apparently a few others decided to take over for Mongrel and Blankslate, but with slightly less spoilerific content.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Are you sure you watched episode 4, or at least all of it? I think you missed all of the Jamie scenes.

:hmm:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought they made it clear that Jaime doesn't believe Tyrion did it. Also, whether or not Tywin believes that, they've always portrayed him as a cold, calculating type, he wouldn't be pushed to action by emotion alone. He already despises Tyrion, as has already been made clear and Tommen is much easier for him to guide/control as they also made clear this last episode.

Indeed with Jamie. I also think Tywin is shown not to believe Tyrion was involved, especially in his dealing with Oberyn. If we wants to pin it on Tyrion, that is a different issue, and I think this is the aid he wants from Oberyn.

Or, he doesn't want Tyrion punished (a true Lannister), and he actually wants Oberyn to help him absolve Tyrion. Basically, I don't think it's clear form their scene in ep 3 how Tywin wants to Beryn to vote and/or aid him. He only said "catch the assassins."

Further, I don't think Tywin is so stupid to believe Tyrion was involved, because I still think Tywin was involved. ...though that may be less plausible the more Little Finger is involved--not sure what Tywin would have gained by sending Sansa to him; so it very well could be that it was LF/Oleana all along.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Indeed with Jamie. I also think Tywin is shown not to believe Tyrion was involved, especially in his dealing with Oberyn. If we wants to pin it on Tyrion, that is a different issue, and I think this is the aid he wants from Oberyn.

Or, he doesn't want Tyrion punished (a true Lannister), and he actually wants Oberyn to help him absolve Tyrion. Basically, I don't think it's clear form their scene in ep 3 how Tywin wants to Beryn to vote and/or aid him. He only said "catch the assassins."

Further, I don't think Tywin is so stupid to believe Tyrion was involved, because I still think Tywin was involved. ...though that may be less plausible the more Little Finger is involved--not sure what Tywin would have gained by sending Sansa to him; so it very well could be that it was LF/Oleana all along.

Tywin probably believes Tyrion wasn't involved, but that isn't the point. The only point, as far is Tywin is concerned, is how he can use it to forward his own agenda and that of his house. Tyrion is barely of his house as far as he is concerned and I'm sure he'd trade him in a minute for any advantage that might gain him. Jaime and Cersei are a different story I'm sure, they're of "proper" Lannister blood, not tainted offspring like Tyrion.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Are you sure you watched episode 4, or at least all of it? I think you missed all of the Jamie scenes.

:hmm:

When Jaime goes to see Cersei towards the end of the last episode he tells her he doesn't think Tyrion did it, but she basically shouts him down and he just accepts it and walks away. Apparently he will rape his sister on the floor next to his dead son, but he won't stand up to her when she demands Tyrion die for a crime Jaime knows he didn't commit.

This is what I am talking about when I say an otherwise strong character acts weak. If he and Tywin allow Tyrion to die it will be totally out of character for both of them.

So, yes, I watched the entire episode.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Tywin probably believes Tyrion wasn't involved, but that isn't the point. The only point, as far is Tywin is concerned, is how he can use it to forward his own agenda and that of his house. Tyrion is barely of his house as far as he is concerned and I'm sure he'd trade him in a minute for any advantage that might gain him. Jaime and Cersei are a different story I'm sure, they're of "proper" Lannister blood, not tainted offspring like Tyrion.

Tywin would never allow a Lannister to die for the crime of another. He may not like Tyrion, but he has historically demanded he do his part for the family. If he didn't have some respect for him he would never have sent him to Kings Landing to act as Hand of the King and try to get Cersei and Joffrey in line. He understand Tyrion has value to the family.

Tywin also took the death of Joffrey a little too easy. Sure, he's happy to have Tommen on the throne since he is far more controllable, but Lannisters pay their debts and I'm sure he isn't stupid enough to believe Tyrion did it. Unless Tywin was actually involved, which I don't think.

I bet Martin is going to surprise us with something, because things can't possibly play out the way they seem to be headed. It's just too many dumb moves for otherwise smart characters.

Mar 10, 2005
tywin wasn't involved in the baelish/tyrell plot at all:

1. both baelish and olenna explain everything, and tywin is not mentioned. it's clear they're moving the lannisters out as a whole.

2. tywin had just about enough of joffrey, but would have killed him on his terms, especially with a non-lannister fall guy that would coincidentally advance his political ambition. bringing in the martells was an opportunity, but not like the huge strokes we've seen before.

3. tywin setting both his sons up as kingslayers? no chance.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
When Jaime goes to see Cersei towards the end of the last episode he tells her he doesn't think Tyrion did it, but she basically shouts him down and he just accepts it and walks away. Apparently he will rape his sister on the floor next to his dead son, but he won't stand up to her when she demands Tyrion die for a crime Jaime knows he didn't commit.

This is what I am talking about when I say an otherwise strong character acts weak. If he and Tywin allow Tyrion to die it will be totally out of character for both of them.

So, yes, I watched the entire episode.

Jaime knows not to argue with crazy

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Grey Worm was shown learning to speak English, and it could be inferred also to read / write. So, he could have put the graffiti, and not really so much to encourage the slaves, but to scare the masters (as it would be assumed quite a lot of them were literate).

That would explain it somewhat, but honestly that whole scene is sloppy.

We we first see the head "master" in that scene, he has two soldiers with him when he reads the writing. Then all of a sudden his is alone and his is attacked from all sides. It was very B-movie.

I have a suspicion as to why the writing was on the wall. I think it is the same reason that Dany has a COMPLETELY modern attitude and perspective, and why everyone involved with her plotline uses modern and straight-forward dialect instead of the D&D dialect the rest of the show uses.

That reason is that Dany's story is the lowest common denominator story meant to appeal to a viewer who doesn't normally get into this fantasy stuff, but loves say The Hunger Games. An obvious hero with obvious (to a modern person) villains, shiny special effects (dragons), and none of the mystery and politics that makes the rest of Game of Thrones, well Game of Thrones.

That is why I am pretty much bored with her plotline, even though I am glad she is on the show if she is what allows the entire thing to be mainstream and big budget.

Mar 10, 2005
That reason is that Dany's story is the lowest common denominator story meant to appeal to a viewer who doesn't normally get into this fantasy stuff, but loves say The Hunger Games. An obvious hero with obvious (to a modern person) villains, shiny special effects (dragons), and none of the mystery and politics that makes the rest of Game of Thrones, well Game of Thrones.

slam dunk

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

That's a perspective I hadn't considered. Very astute.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Wait a minute. LF is going to marry Lady Arryn? She's the wackadoo who was breast feeding her son in the Eyrie? And once the little tit snuggler is old enough he will be in charge and LF becomes nothing?

Not sure how that's such a good long term deal for LF. Of course there is always the possibility of a little accident being so high up. Its a good thing LF is such an honorable man or the little nip licker might be in trouble.

just wait. some interesting things will happen!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Among my top best shows. I like period dramas and GOT fits the bill.

I hate period dramas which is why I didn't watch GoT until the third season was over. All the hype got me to watch the first episode and that got me to watch the second one, then I power watched right through.

I have to put GoT second after BSG just because its a period drama. Though, tbh, BSG can also be considered a period drama, just in the future.

fyi the Sopranos comes in third.