Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Ok, try this one:
http://img275.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=783029364_1307793588155_122_188lo.jpeg

Image is below but it's very large and anandtech was being stupid about it before but seems to be working now and if they move the image again I will find a place to host it.

783029364_1307793588155_122_188lo.jpeg

Last edited:

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
For the love of all that is holy someone tell me what happens to Syrio. PM please.

Favorite character of the show so far.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
For the love of all that is holy someone tell me what happens to Syrio. PM please.

Favorite character of the show so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the books elaborated, just that Arya thinks he is dead.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I couldn't find any real additional info about him after looking online.

There are quite a few debate threads on other forums discussing if he could really be some other character.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The only legit clue I have as to Syrio's fate is that when Arya escaped he was facing off against Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard one-on-one. Trant lives on for the next few books and remains in the Kingsguard and in the favor of Joffrey and Cersei. So obviously Syrio didn't kill him. I also find it hard to believe that Syrio beat Trant and then escaped as if that happened Cersei would have had Trant killed or at least fired. The only logical assumption is that the fight didn't go well for Syrio. The only other other possibility is that Syrio won or at least escaped and then Trant covered it up to protect himself. That doesn't seem likely, if Trant went back to Cersei without Arya or even the body of Syrio I don't think she would have believed it.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
When a character that has had a main part dies off-screen one can always assume they will make another appearance. Also in the books, death is not always the end for a character.

As Syrio and Meryn spoke, in the background others rose. The screams we heard were not that of a single man.

IMHO Syrio de-sworded Meryn and wiped them all out. He is sort of legendary for his sword ability to be ended by a more common swordsman.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
When a character that has had a main part dies off-screen one can always assume they will make another appearance. Also in the books, death is not always the end for a character.

As Syrio and Meryn spoke, in the background others rose. The screams we heard were not that of a single man.

IMHO Syrio de-sworded Meryn and wiped them all out. He is sort of legendary for his sword ability to be ended by a more common swordsman.

Not sure you can call Meryn a "common" swordsman. He also had a real sword and was armored... Syrio's fate was likely death or imprisonment, but it is possible he escaped somehow...

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I have no idea what Syrio's fate is allthough I read all the books. The fact is, the books are so complex, and it's been so many years since I read the last one, that I have totally forgotten!

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The only legit clue I have as to Syrio's fate is that when Arya escaped he was facing off against Meryn Trant of the Kingsguard one-on-one. Trant lives on for the next few books and remains in the Kingsguard and in the favor of Joffrey and Cersei. So obviously Syrio didn't kill him. I also find it hard to believe that Syrio beat Trant and then escaped as if that happened Cersei would have had Trant killed or at least fired. The only logical assumption is that the fight didn't go well for Syrio. The only other other possibility is that Syrio won or at least escaped and then Trant covered it up to protect himself. That doesn't seem likely, if Trant went back to Cersei without Arya or even the body of Syrio I don't think she would have believed it.
There is no proof of Syrio's death but the consensus is that he's probably dead.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Stop posting book spoilers in this thread!!!

Don't read the post then. :p

Seriously though, it's just about one very minor character that really has nothing to do with to books other then the sword training a bit.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Not sure you can call Meryn a "common" swordsman. He also had a real sword and was armored... Syrio's fate was likely death or imprisonment, but it is possible he escaped somehow...

He'd have been executed. I meant common in the sense battle vs one on one.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I wonder why Syrio didn't keep at least a few real swords handy, or at least taken one from one of the men he dropped. It seems foolhardy on his part to try to escape death with but a wooden sword.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wonder why Syrio didn't keep at least a few real swords handy, or at least taken one from one of the men he dropped. It seems foolhardy on his part to try to escape death with but a wooden sword.

it was probably to show to leave him alone.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

The book mentions that the Bravossi style Syrio fights with uses a smaller sword with a thinner blade, like the one Jon gave Arya. My assumption has been that the heavy longswords would slow him down so much that he just didn't bother. Though it is strange that he's totally unarmed, considering pretty much everyone else is walking around with multiple pieces of steel.

BTW, the book version of the fight contains considerably more ownage than was shown in the show.

Of the 5 men who attack Syrio before the knight:
* #1 gets a shattered wrist and kneecap
* #2 is stabbed through the eye
* #3 gets a crushed thoat
* #4 is nearly beheaded by an ally's strike that Syrio dodges
* #5 is knocked out by a boot to the face

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
We DEMAND the heads of all LANISTER SWINE on spikes!!! Well, except the short guy. He was probably set up by the incestual sister and he seems to have a level head (Haven't read the books.) But the rest can GO TO HELL!!!!!

I was half-hoping that the girl would run up with her little sword and kill the little a**hole king.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Well, just in case anyone hadn't gotten the message before tonight - no one is safe.

Good episode, but I was pretty disappointed that they completely skipped over Tyrion's battle scene, not to mention [spoiler for ep9 only]
the taking of Jaime

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Pish, the books are a bit out of spoiler time...

Not everyone has read the books, and this thread is about the TV series. Are you guys really such inconsiderate asses that you can't even be bother to click a button for a spoiler tag?