Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 84 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
It was Mandon Moore, but we don't know who ordered him to kill Tyrion.

that was loras with tywin at the end right?
Yes.

edit: almost forgot - no salladhor 'i'm not going to rape her, i'm going to fuck her' saan??
Him being just a pirate, he gets stuck with rearguard duties to make sure the Lannister fleet didn't try to attack them from behind. His ships all survive, and he's the one who rescues the remaining retreating soldiers.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Great episode. The battle was obviously "small scale" and somewhat simplified compared to the books but much better than I had expected.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
As much as we are supposed to dislike the Lannisters, I really enjoyed Tyrion's role this season. The show makes him a likeable guy who gets screwed by everyone because he's a dwarf. Sad to see episode 9 end the wat it did

Tyrion is a different cut from rest of Lannisters. Almost all audience like him actually.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
even in the books, I'd say that Tyrion is one of the most likable characters, and his worst moments are typically limited to whore and being an asshole (instead of a rapist or mass murderer or just fucking things up for everyone *cough*Robb*cough*)

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
even in the books, I'd say that Tyrion is one of the most likable characters, and his worst moments are typically limited to whore and being an asshole (instead of a rapist or mass murderer or just fucking things up for everyone *cough*Robb*cough*)

I think you mean Catelyn Stark right?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think you mean Catelyn Stark right?
definitely Robb.

tumblr_lrfs6pjZvF1r35hwyo1_400.gif

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
There's also the lesbian scene (book spoiler)
with Taena and Cersei where you also find out how much she likes eating sperm.

Taena from Myr.

Here's the part from the book:
She wanted to see if it would be as easy with a woman as it had always been with Robert. Ten thousand of your children perished in my palm, Your Grace, she thought, slipping a third finger into Myr. Whilst you snored, I would lick your sons off my face and fingers one by one, all those pale sticky princes. You claimed your rights, my lord, but in the darkness I would eat your heirs. Taena gave a shudder. She gasped some words in a foreign tongue, then shuddered again and arched her back and screamed.

Which books are these? I don't have HBO, and am only going thru the books slowly (am on #3, SoS now).

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
So a couple things that bug me this ep:

Why didn't Stannis use the red-lady's shadow demon thingy to assassinate Joffrey like he did with Renly?

What was with the Hound's sudden change of heart in the middle of battle?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Why didn't Stannis use the red-lady's shadow demon thingy to assassinate Joffrey like he did with Renly?
Making those drains Stannis, another one might kill him. Besides Joffrey wasn't important to the battle.

He is afraid of fire. Remember the story, that he got his scar from his brother holding his face in a fire.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Stannis was advised to not bring the red priestess to King's Landing because people would see a victory there as hers and not his.

The Hound don't like fire.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
So a couple things that bug me this ep:

In a previous episode, we saw a discussion where Davos convinced Stannis to send the Red Priest back to Dragonstone, so that the victory doesn't become hers.

The hound had his face burned by his brother when he was a kid. He developed some kind of a fire-phobia, and seeing all the wildfire drove him insane.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

It's explained in the books actually. However, the condensing needed to fit the story into a season of 10 episodes left it out.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Several episodes ago (IIRC, the one where Renly was killed) Davos convinced Stannis to leave Melisandre behind when they attacked King's Landing, because he didn't want people believing that he only won the throne by sorcery.

Also (IMO) Stannis isn't that enthusiastic about Melisandre and her Red God. He had to use her before because there was no other choice due to his limited support. But, after picking most of Renly's supporters I think he'd prefer to do things himself.

If you recall the story of how the Hound got his scars (this was in the middle of season 1, IIRC Littlefinger was telling it to Sansa), his brother Gregor aka the Mountain shoved his face in a fire when he was a child. He's absolutely terrified of fire, and fighting in the middle of the river burning with wildfire (when was much, much worse in the books) was enough to break him.

Edit: Damn, too slow.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Last season. He jousted, got beaten, got pissed, decapitated his horse, went after the opponent, and his brother intervened.

He was in charge of Harrenhal before Tywin showed up and stayed there after Tywin left. He's the one that Tywin told Arya to keep sober.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Tyrion might be the only *likeable* character with the possible exception of Arya. Even the supposedly "good" people are either annoying (Catelyn), honorable to the point of stupidity (Ned, Robb) or downright stupid (Sansa, Jon), so it's hard to get behind any of them. Tyrion and Arya are the only people who are intelligent and pragmatic enough to look at both sides of a problem.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Tyrion might be the only *likeable* character with the possible exception of Arya. Even the supposedly "good" people are either annoying (Catelyn), honorable to the point of stupidity (Ned, Robb) or downright stupid (Sansa, Jon), so it's hard to get behind any of them. Tyrion and Arya are the only people who are intelligent and pragmatic enough to look at both sides of a problem.

I'd say Sansa becomes pretty likable after the first book... she's obviously out of her league when she's trying to play the subterfuge game with the likes of Littlefinger and Cersei, but she's a quick learner and is presented somewhat empathetically after going through hell with Joffrey.

Also whats the point of assassinating Joffrey? He was useless anyway and had siblings.

he could have assassinated Cersei and Tyrion and done some real damage, but in the books at least, it's made clear that making shadow babies takes a lot out of him (and seems to age him prematurely)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Also whats the point of assassinating Joffrey? He was useless anyway and had siblings.

Joffrey is a coward, a sadist and would be the death of the kingdom if allowed to rule. He would have sparked a rebellion even faster than Mad Aerys did and that would be the end of the Lannister line. By getting rid of him the hope was that Tommen with a strong regent or Hand like Tywin's brother Kevan could hold the kingdom together.