Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Also, Mance Rayder has some sort of Wildling army of 100,000? That seems to be a problem with the story because there just isn't anything to eat much north of the wall.

I think she said hundreds and thousands, not a hundred thousand. Math isn't a strong point amongst the wildlings.

For the show, they liked the look of Icelands mountains. In the book there was still some forests nearby, at least at their first encampment, which was on a hill near the woods.

So there is elk, bear, roots, fish, and near the coast seals and walruses to eat. The wildlings also took all their livestock with. Food isn't exactly abundant, but they aren't starving yet.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
the crowd tore an arm off some guy ( a priest or something ). was he important in the books?

He was the high priest of the faith of the Seven. An important position, but not an important character. The peasants are starving because of the war, and he was grossly obese.

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
He was the high priest of the faith of the Seven. An important position, but not an important character. The peasants are starving because of the war, and he was grossly obese.

Actually this is kind of important. Remember this people!

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Actually this is kind of important. Remember this people!

Yeah I feel the show hasn't really shown how miserable and hungry the people in King's Landing have become. It was a very strong theme in the book (yet the show showed merchants offering fish and fruits as if all is well couple episodes back.)

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
You'll change your mind once you watch last night's episode. There was at least 3 big events that just simply didnt happen in the books.

I only count the dragons as a major change at least so far.

I can understand the Osha/Theon part. And I assume the third is Jon/Ygritte which I can understand that as well.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Heroes always fall for the pretty ones. Sigh... I'm very close to abandoning mine and go after an ugly one myself.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Not sure I like some of the changes they're making.

What's up with this plot of Jon and Ygritte lost together? Only thing I can figure is that they're going to have them fall in love now, instead of after he joins the wildlings.

And,
dafuq with having the dragons stolen? Perhaps theyre using it as the reason she destroys the House of the Undying instead of using a long and potentially confusing vision scene.

Also, Osha is hot (fap fap), and I look forward to seeing more :D of Ygritte.

It would be a shame if your second *spoiler* is right - that scene has a ton of great foreshadowing in it...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
It would be a shame if your second *spoiler* is right - that scene has a ton of great foreshadowing in it...

They have dropped most of the prophecies and dreams in the show. So I expect that location to have a fight scene instead. At least we'll get to see Jorah, and maybe Aristan Whitebeard in action.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I can understand the Osha/Theon part.
It was better then simply
giving her a spear and trusting her
like in the book if I remember right plus we get to see more boobies. ;)
And I assume the third is Jon/Ygritte which I can understand that as well.

Thought the same thing about this as the storyline in the books they did about this was not a huge factor and will be a decent time saver.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Who stole the 3 dragons last night @ the end of the episode? (GOT book readers needed)

That was never part of the book and is the biggest thing different about it from this episode but it looks like we are guessing the warlocks they talked about before.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

Accept it books and television are different mediums....

Any surprises that are revealed don't need as much foreshadowing in television as they do in the written word.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Accept it books and television are different mediums....

Any surprises that are revealed don't need as much foreshadowing in television as they do in the written word.

I haven't read the books, but I don't need a movie/TV series to coddle me.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
read my spoilers on the previous page....

It's not a matter of coddling... although prove
I don't need a movie/TV series to coddle me.
by reading at least the first book.

the TV series simply cannot give the back story that is interwoven throughout the novels without at least 2 more episodes per season as well as perhaps the actors narration of the character's thoughts (not always well done).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
read my spoilers on the previous page....

It's not a matter of coddling... although prove
by reading at least the first book.

the TV series simply cannot give the back story that is interwoven throughout the novels without at least 2 more episodes per season as well as perhaps the actors narration of the character's thoughts (not always well done).

you always speak in a bit of broken english so I have no idea really WTF you are going to war over.

I like the series.

and yes. the book is always more intuitive.

I am waiting for the 'White Gold Wielder' to come to video.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001

As much as I love Donaldson, good luck with that. They don't seem likely to greenlight a series that starts with the hero raping someone. But I guess you never know.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
I only count the dragons as a major change at least so far.

I can understand the Osha/Theon part. And I assume the third is Jon/Ygritte which I can understand that as well.

yeah, its mostly that the changes sort of escalated to the dragons getting stolen, which was the biggest change, but it also sort of made the other changes feel more significant because it was a reminder just how many changes their have been, it makes me really wonder just what they have in store for the future.

In otherwords I'm almost at the point where I'm almost expecting these changes to create a butterfly effect that might take the TV series totally off course from the books.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
you always speak in a bit of broken english so I have no idea really WTF you are going to war over.

I like the series.

and yes. the book is always more intuitive.

eh.

the point is that TV shows will always seem to be coddling the viewer if it is based on a well written novel. In the case of a story spanning several books that get longer as the book series progresses some things will have to be left out. If you consider my off the cuff comment going to war you probably need to relax.

There is a good deal of back story in the books missing from the television series. Although the producers have added a couple of nice touches that were impossible to have in the books due to the point of view structure of the narration.

For example when Ned whispers Baelor to the Night's Watch member in the crowd and then he looks to the statue of Baelor to see Arya sitting on it's base.

At least read the first book and you'll get a lot of back ground that is barely hinted at in the first season.
Particularly the fact that Ned never says Jon is his son... and the way he looks away from King Robert when asked about Jon's mother when they are traveling on the King's Road southward to the capital city
That is more fleshed out in the novels and may explain why they're changing some of the story lines when they lead to characters having dreams or visions.

As much as the first two Trilogies of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever are my favorite fantasy series. My favorite chapter is still "Lord Mhoram's Victory"

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin matches them in brilliance imo. And I'll have to read the Last Chronicles and the final books of Game of Thrones before I can say which is better. I suspect that I'll still hold Mr. Donaldson's books as my favorites even if Mr. Martin's novels may turn out to be technically better because of the existential conflicts that Covenant goes through are more interesting to me. However what I like about both authors is that they are willing to be exceptionally brutal to their characters in order to tell a better story.

I think that Pheran is right. I've talked to a couple of avid fantasy readers who couldn't get past the first few chapters of Lord Foul's Bane. They're missing out...

Last edited:

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I think that Pheran is right. I've talked to a couple of avid fantasy readers who couldn't get past the first few chapters of Lord Foul's Bane. They're missing out...

We're getting a little off topic, but re: Martin and Donaldson, see my post on heavy fantasy. If you haven't read Bakker yet, you are in for a treat. I still need to get off my butt and read Malazan. :)

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
That interview with GRRM was right on. He does outline a problem I have with the books. I am 2/3 done with book 5 and it seems every chapter of most every book is:

Dude 1: "We need to get from point A to point B"
Dude 2: "Lets go"
* obstacle lands them at point C *
Dude 1: "Fffffuuuuccckkkkk"

I loved book 3 but book 4 and so far book 5 are a total chore.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
eh.

the point is that TV shows will always seem to be coddling the viewer if it is based on a well written novel. In the case of a story spanning several books that get longer as the book series progresses some things will have to be left out. If you consider my off the cuff comment going to war you probably need to relax.

There is a good deal of back story in the books missing from the television series. Although the producers have added a couple of nice touches that were impossible to have in the books due to the point of view structure of the narration.

For example when Ned whispers Baelor to the Night's Watch member in the crowd and then he looks to the statue of Baelor to see Arya sitting on it's base.

At least read the first book and you'll get a lot of back ground that is barely hinted at in the first season.
Particularly the fact that Ned never says Jon is his son... and the way he looks away from King Robert when asked about Jon's mother when they are traveling on the King's Road southward to the capital city
That is more fleshed out in the novels and may explain why they're changing some of the story lines when they lead to characters having dreams or visions.

As much as the first two Trilogies of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever are my favorite fantasy series. My favorite chapter is still "Lord Mhoram's Victory"

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin matches them in brilliance imo. And I'll have to read the Last Chronicles and the final books of Game of Thrones before I can say which is better. I suspect that I'll still hold Mr. Donaldson's books as my favorites even if Mr. Martin's novels may turn out to be technically better because of the existential conflicts that Covenant goes through are more interesting to me. However what I like about both authors is that they are willing to be exceptionally brutal to their characters in order to tell a better story.

i get all that. Like I am saying you don't.

it is what it is. Instead you want to be difficult.

Spineshank

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
That interview with GRRM was right on. He does outline a problem I have with the books. I am 2/3 done with book 5 and it seems every chapter of most every book is:

Dude 1: "We need to get from point A to point B"
Dude 2: "Lets go"
* obstacle lands them at point C *
Dude 1: "Fffffuuuuccckkkkk"

I loved book 3 but book 4 and so far book 5 are a total chore.

Book 5 gets better. I found the introduction of characters in 4 and 5 to be annoying at this point in the series.