Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 518 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The plot about the capturing the wight was stupid from the get go, but the execution made it even worse. They didn't even have horses when they left the wall, great idea to spend days walking to find a wight and then have to drag it back.

The previous seasons also had weaknesses, but they were still on another level than this season. The writing has really gone downhill.

I think it was too cold for horses, also horses are not very good in deep snow.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
His uncle rode in on a his to save his arse...
The only reason I could see for them not taking the horses is that they would be more problems than they are worth. Horses need a lot of food, and there is nothing for them to graze on north of the wall, so they would have to carry all the food the horses would need, on top of that horses are not very good in deep snow or rocky terrain, both of which they were expecting to encounter. Uncle Deus Ex Machina rode in on his plot horse because the story demanded it, then died because he was no longer needed. Plot horses don't need food and can ride on rocky terrain in deep snow with no problems.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
It wouldn't take extra episodes, maybe some people prefer a captioned director's message saying something "2 days later" or "after hours of running". I don't need the extra hand holding to follow whats going on but sudden change in pacing in that episodes throws some people off.
The problem is that you have no sense of how much time has passed so you become a little disoriented as to the timeline. It's not a horrible omission but it's enough of a discontinuity that it pulls you out of the story for at least a moment.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
The plot about the capturing the wight was stupid from the get go, but the execution made it even worse. They didn't even have horses when they left the wall, great idea to spend days walking to find a wight and then have to drag it back.

The previous seasons also had weaknesses, but they were still on another level than this season. The writing has really gone downhill.

Agreed, that mission was dumb and jarring right from the start. This season is a lot more "Michael Bay" than the others.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Nope. You just can't introduce Michael Bolton into anything serious.

The last episode has Gendry running faster than a marathoner in the cold up north (where it seems he has never been before) while the other Snow Squad members wait around with a prisoner wight. And Dany is supposed to get the Raven Gendry has sent and fly up with Dragons in a timely manner? Sure that sounds serious.... this episode deserved that song in the worst way.

Perhaps GRR Martin isn't happy these days with the show as he was in the past....

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I loved the idea of just about every bad@ss on the show ranging north of the wall, but their objective made no sense. Why does Cersei need to see a wight when she has her own Clegane zombie?

Maybe most people outside of Cersei's close circle of advisors don't know that Sir Robert Strong is the zombie-fied Gregor Clegaine....

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
The last episode has Gendry running faster than a marathoner in the cold up north (where it seems he has never been before) while the other Snow Squad members wait around with a prisoner wight. And Dany is supposed to get the Raven Gendry has sent and fly up with Dragons in a timely manner? Sure that sounds serious.... this episode deserved that song in the worst way.

Perhaps GRR Martin isn't happy these days with the show as he was in the past....

If Martina is throwing shade, as seemingly correctly alluded to in that vid, then Martina should have written faster.

HE allowed his train to be put on the tracks. It's up to him to figure things out.

Poor guy! He can wipe his salty tears away on that bed made of cash.

Reactions: Dr. Zaus

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
If Martina is throwing shade, as seemingly correctly alluded to in that vid, then Martina should have written faster.

HE allowed his train to be put on the tracks. It's up to him to figure things out.

Poor guy! He can wipe his salty tears away on that bed made of cash.

He definitely should have written faster now we're seeing a dumbing down because he didn't

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I watched the first series in 2011. I wanted to know how the story ended, so I read the books. All 5 of them. Then I watched the other tv-series, waiting for book 6. One of the reasons I liked the books was that you never knew what was gonna happen. Who was gonna die and live. Because Ned. But after Ned, the question of life and death wasn't so hard. I just didn't realize it: Jon, Daenerys, Tyrion, Arya and Bran are untouchable. Everybody else can die.

But then at least I had the ending I could look forward too. Anything was possible, I thought. Except the most predictable outcomes. Those weren't gonna happen. But then we saw episode 6 last week. I googled something related to GoT/Asoif, and saw this quote on a forum (I think 4chan). It is a single sentence that basically sums up all of GoT/Asoiaf. If I knew the books would basically boil down to this, I wouldn't have bothered to watch the show, and certainly not read the books.

"Fagg0t dragon flew in and saves the day"

Pardon my french. But I think the literal quote actually is the best description of 10k book pages and 70 hours of tv-series.

Last edited:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
They resolved that in the only way that wouldn't make me think the writers were pure crap. Good. That's what I was hoping for.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Let's see... fly back solo to Winterfell or bang Jon on the boat for a week?

I CHOOSE BOAT

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I love how after the decision is made to go by boat, it cuts to Jorah and he makes that look.

That look of resignation, that look that says 'I know full well my lady's junk is about to get plowed.'

Winter is ***ing!

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
For reference since not everyone can keep up with this maze.

hKifL9T.png

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I love how after the decision is made to go by boat, it cuts to Jorah and he makes that look.

That look of resignation, that look that says 'I know full well my lady's junk is about to get plowed.'

Winter is ***ing!

lol. this season has been building to the greatest incest the seven kingdoms had ever seen. Very nice.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah. She said she named two of the dragons after her brothers, and she gave names close to Rhaegar and Viserys as the names of the dragons.

Anyone else notice that the dude that played Viserys in s1 was the same dude playing Rheagar in Bran's vision this episode? Of course you all noticed. Anyone would be confused.

Reactions: Sonikku

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Ned was 36 and Robb was 16? ...wtf is going on in Westeros when teenagers look like broken middle management lifers?

Book ages apparently. Martin took the middle ages life expectancy to mean people died of old age in their 30's. He has realized his error but too late to change that now. The show made it correct-ish.