Game of Thrones - TV Series (NO BOOK SPOILERS)

Page 258 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
If the Night Watch doesn't have enough men to defend even Castle Black, why not collapse all the tunnels at CB and the remaining two castles like they've done at other (now empty) castles and fully seal the wall? That would make it much harder for the wildlings and zombie armies to pass the wall. Of course that effectively means it will also be much harder for the Night Watch to go north of the wall but it's not like they'd need to. And it will make it harder for the wildlings to flee from the zombies as they'll have to go around the 700-mile long wall to the sea but I'm pretty sure the NW sees the wildlings as expendable.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
For some reason they feel they need to occasionally go north of the wall to gather intel.
I would be surprised that in the event of attack they do exactly that. Though any force attacking the wall will have made arrangements to get over, under or through it.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think it was that Bran was simply telling Sam not to tell Jon they were heading beyond the wall. Bran didn't know Theon had executed the two orphans (the Maester told Osha not to tell them, as Bran would blame himself for it), so he didn't know everyone believed them dead. Sam (as well as Jon) had not been back to Castle Black to even gain knowledge of what happened at Winterfel. They left shortly after Rob marched to war with the south.

They very clearly showed that Bran was listening even though they thought he was asleep. Bran knows about the orphans.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I do most of my thread searching through the User CP. I neff enough to see most of the threads that interest me, anyway.

This prevents me from confusing such threads, as I would not have gone in there before.

This. Only access this thread through User CP or Subscribed Threads.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
That would have been fine and dandy with me, had the episode 3 stuff been put into episode 2, and we get something new for this one, but as it stands, it seems to have taken them ~7+ days to march that path? Maybe the events of episode 2 didn't take as long as I think.
It's tricky to draw timelines out of things, sometimes long journeys take 2 episodes, sometimes it's a full season.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
I do most of my thread searching through the User CP. I neff enough to see most of the threads that interest me, anyway.

This prevents me from confusing such threads, as I would not have gone in there before.

No wonder we're both always so involved whenever the terminator thread is resurrected.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
It's tricky to draw timelines out of things, sometimes long journeys take 2 episodes, sometimes it's a full season.

GRRM is deliberately fuzzy about distances and time.

the one notation that we have is The Wall being described as 100 leagues long (which would then make the distance from The Wall to Dorne about 3742 miles, pretty close to the driving distance from Vancouver BC to Miami, FL)

but again, it's all very fuzzy and GRRM doesn't really stick to anything beyond whatever he feels like at the moment.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Okay Okay--how's about Nightwatch sit up on their wall and watch the wildlings and zombies fight it out, all the while torching the whole area with pitch and fire arrows?
Pitch and fire at the base of an ice wall.

Make a note, zinfamous is banned from any castle defense planning.

:D

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
zin, I really hope you're good at making snacks. In the event of a lot of disasters, you've been declared worthless.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Hmm, I thought that a 25 minute review of a 50something minute show would have caused enough ragesplosion. :D

Mar 10, 2005

an episode is not a unit of measurement. what few references to time and distance there are are seemingly contradicted without regard as the writers see fit.

maybe it takes king robert a month to go from king's landing to winterfell, maybe maybe everyone else can do it 3x faster. maybe an episode shows a single day, maybe a month. anything goes.

it does seem clear the royal wedding was about 2 months after the red wedding. in s4e1, jaime says he's been home "for weeks" while margaery says the wedding is "in a fortnight", or 2 weeks to you and me.

i think the entire story (tv show) as of s4e3 has taken place in just over a year. i think it is possible for a planet to have some crazy wobble and orbit to account for the irregular seasons described in asoiaf/got, although there's no way anyone is living beyond the wall.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Agreed, she's very cute.

I'm OK with the timeline stuff, as long as it's close I don't care. Pretty sure it's vague for a reason, so people don't nerd out and hit you up with math too much. Ask Moses how that worked for him. :p

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why would someone who read the books be in this thread? This thread is 95 percent speculation on what will occur and reasons for what happened that we will eventually find out in the coming episodes.

by posting what you did you are hinting you read the books and his post is wrong. That is a spoiler and you cannot post spoilers in this thread. Please don't do it anymore. Thanks.

Thank you! I'm really glad I didn't read his post until he deleted it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't know. I didn't even know this sparked any controversy, but I think if people have issue with it, it wouldn't be cause they were jealous of the character, but because he raped his sister? :hmm:

Which would be rather strange since to date we've had:

Cannibalism
Multiple, graphic on-screen child murders
Barely off-screen date rape (Drogo/Dany)
On-screen attempted Rape (Sansa)
On-screen babies taken from their mothers' arms and stabbed to death in front of them
On-screen fetus stabbing
Barely off-screen castration as a means of torture
On-screen physical torture with all manner of implements
On-screen incest

But no, it's the addition of on-screen incestual rape to that list that some "feminists" decide to bleat about. :p I'm thinking there wouldn't be nearly as much incense if Jaime wasn't involved.

Last edited:

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Thank you! I'm really glad I didn't read his post until he deleted it.

I give him credit for considering his fellow forum mates. A little courtesy is all it takes.

Now lets all smoke a joint and sing kumbaya. :awe:

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009

She's been very cute since the Skins days. I'm sure that we have a bunch of real "keepers" posting in this thread.

tumblr_lxjwhtIfF51r7dnkoo1_500.gif

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Time to fire up the season 3 bluray extras and figure out what I'm missing so far this season.