Gaga Super Bowl performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
How was it obviously Karaoke? Her breathing into the mic at the piano was absolutely painful to listen to and watch. Absolutely no breath control.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Honestly, to NOT make a political statement is actually pretty counter culture, which fits her persona perfectly.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
After watching the Mariah Carrey debacle on New Year's Eve, I am surprised that people said she was lip syncing. That had to be some of the best rehearsal for lip syncing. She also would have had to add pauses to pre-recorded songs because there were distinct parts during her performance where she had the music playing and interjected other words or pauses where her normal lyrics would have been. She then picked up the song where she left off.

If that is lip syncing, then I can live with it.

Anyway, not sure why conservatives would be upset unless it is because of prior statements/views made by her. But I watched the whole show and thought it was great. It was refreshing to have a night of mostly no political statements.

Feb 16, 2005
How was it obviously Karaoke? Her breathing into the mic at the piano was absolutely painful to listen to and watch. Absolutely no breath control.
yea, low energy, total loser, how dare she need to breathe to sing. sad.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Well she did make some political statements. They were just subtle and "professional" and not loud and in your face.
Many of them I'm sure flew over most people's heads. She's smarter than your average bear.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Her costume was nowhere near as impressive as Trump's transformation at his inauguration.

ei5gYL1.gif

Reactions: Ns1
Nov 30, 2006
Well she did make some political statements. They were just subtle and "professional" and not loud and in your face.
Many of them I'm sure flew over most people's heads. She's smarter than your average bear.
It was subtle...which is OK imo. "In your face" political commentary is rude as hell for half your audience. People just want to be entertained and they're sick and tired of performers using their "pulpit" to politically lecture those they believe to be much less enlightened than themselves. Time for people to grow up and Lady Gaga set a great example for others in the entertainment business in my opinion.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It was subtle...which is OK imo. "In your face" political commentary is rude as hell for half your audience. People just want to be entertained and they're sick and tired of performers using their "pulpit" to politically lecture those they believe to be much less enlightened than themselves. Time for people to grow up and Lady Gaga set a great example for others in the entertainment business in my opinion.

*cough* Ted Nugent *cough*

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I'm sure you can figure it out. If not well then you're not as smart as I give you credit for.

I'm sure you can figure it out. If not well then you're not as smart as I give you credit for.

They all do it. Both sides. It's more volume from the left as there are unquestionably more (and bigger) stars that lean left.

That being said. I don't care if they voice their opinions on or off stage.
If I went to see The Nudge while Obama was in office, I'd expect him to spout off and it wouldn't bother me in the least.
If I went to see Gaga while Trump is in office, I'd expect her to spout off and it wouldn't bother me in the least.
It's their stage. Their right. And I know what I'm getting into regardless that I paid the ticket price. It's a package deal. Don't like it? Don't pay for it. Or in the case of the SB, change the channel or go take a piss.

BOTH sides are horrible sensitive snowflakes on this topic.

Reactions: JockoJohnson

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
They all do it. Both sides. It's more volume from the left as there are unquestionably more (and bigger) stars that lean left.

If I went to see The Nudge while Obama was in office, I'd expect him to spout off and it wouldn't bother me in the least.
If I went to see Gaga while Trump is in office, I'd expect her to spout off and it wouldn't bother me in the least.
It's their stage. Their right. And I know what I'm getting into regardless that I paid the ticket price. It's a package deal. Don't like it? Don't pay for it. Or in the case of the SB, change the channel or go take a piss.

Agreed

Feb 16, 2005
There are ways to not breathe directly into the mic. Has nothing to do with her "need to breathe" while singing. Please educate yourself.
lol, educate myself. ok moment. I'll make a note of that for future reference and criticisms.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009

I liked her subtlety. The beginning was good and it was done just right. Not so overbearing on the statement but enough to make people think....or like you said earlier, maybe they missed it. But it was a good message despite what some conservatives want to think about her.

Reactions: Homerboy
Nov 30, 2006
His point is that the right leaning celebrities are guilt of using their stage as a pulpit too.
Not that hard to figure it out -- mind reading not required.
And my point is....did I say that only liberals did this? Reading comprehension fail.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I liked her subtlety. The beginning was good and it was done just right. Not so overbearing on the statement but enough to make people think....or like you said earlier, maybe they missed it. But it was a good message despite what some conservatives want to think about her.

Exactly. I think she did everything right to appease everyone (even though I don't think she HAD to appease everyone).
Many artists ARE political and their songs come from a political or sociological emotion/belief. That's one of the parts that Gaga did that likely many people missed was her song selection - "Poker Face" and "Born This Way" are both two very LGBTQ driven songs. To ask them not to be political is just silly and takes away from their art. Nobody bitched about U2 being "political" when they did the half time show after 9/11 :cool::p:D:rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2009
Alright one of the pissed off folks said the emphasis on "Justice...for all..." was too blatant. I heard that too but come on. I told him he's being a pussy.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Just different genres. Country music (minus the Dixie Chicks) has been on a 30 year long conservative bender.