Friday Presidential Debate Delay ???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I thought of 3 possible reasons for McCain wanting to cancel:

-lower expectations (see: this entire thread. "omg, he's so weak he needs to cancel," to the point where even a half-decent performance might look stellar compared to the low expectations for him and high expectations for Obama)

-friday night is commonly regarded as where television programming goes to die; with foreign policy being his supposed strong suit, he could be attempting to get the debate on a night where people are actually watching tv

-friday is the sabbath and he doesn't want to force Obama to betray his jewish faith by working on friday night

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: quest55720
Originally posted by: Coldkilla
Letterman hit the nail on the head...

That really makes me wonder why McCain was talking about Obama's responce towards this financial sitiuation in which Obama wanted to look at the facts before making a decision unlike how McCain threw out his talking points right away. McCain used that period of indecisiveness to compare that towards the number of times in which Obama has voted 'present' in his career. He said: "Obama can't vote 'present' when you are the president",

...but McCain can just 'suspend' being president... I don't get the difference.

Obama called this something like the biggest financial crisis since the great depression. I think something that dire needs to be the most important period. Both Obama and McCain need to be there and have thier hands on this since one of them will live with this for 4 or 8 years. That way neither can bitch in a few years and say I had no part in it this was not my fault if it does not work out. I do not like the hands off approach of Obama I like a leader who will roll up their sleeves and get to work. It makes me wonder how Obama would act as president when there is a major crisis. Is he going to let others make the decisions like he is now. Or is he going to show real leadership and get his hands dirty and do some heavy lifting. McCain might not be good with economy but he is damn good at getting people of opposite sides to work together and that is what we need right now.

The irony is that the democrats and republicans are already working well together and close to a deal which McCain and Bush are threatening to delay and screw up by calling for a meeting at the white house that interferes with congressional meetings of real substance. McHamFist is screwing things up while attempting to get in the lime light. McClusterFubar.

Yup.

""I'm their Glorious Leader. Which way did they go?""

It's been funny over the last two days watching McCain and Bush rush all over themselves to get in front of the debate and try to make themselves relevant.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481

-lower expectations (see: this entire thread. "omg, he's so weak he needs to cancel," to the point where even a half-decent performance might look stellar compared to the low expectations for him and high expectations for Obama)

-friday night is commonly regarded as where television programming goes to die; with foreign policy being his supposed strong suit, he could be attempting to get the debate on a night where people are actually watching tv

-friday is the sabbath and he doesn't want to force Obama to betray his jewish faith by working on friday night
I lol'd at #3. When loki is making light of the McCain camp, you know it's bad. ;)

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
When I'm thinking about this, all I can see is his campaign manager.

"John, we can't come out with a bipartisan statement unless it's a bipartisan statement that is our idea. If we accept Obama's bipartisan terms, then he wins. We can only afford to be bipartisan if our party wins. So we need to make a counter-offer, a bigger offer. We need to propose an offer that forces Obama to agree to it, see? So we'll call off the debates. That will show people how important this is. The democratic election process will just have to wait until this crisis is over. It'll be just like last time. We'll call it a New 9/11. That ought to bring back the old spirit of bipartisanship, where nobody reads the bills the President proposed. Ah, the good old days..."

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

forgot my 4th reason...

-most people probably weren't even aware of the debates taking place on Friday; I bet they are now, and people will tune in just to see if McCain shows up (and then stay for the show to see McCain discussing the area where he's strongest and Obama's weakest)

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
is it possible that McCain is basing his scheduling around the assumption that he'll have to take a horse and buggy wherever he needs to go?
You shouldn't disparage Senator McCain with your implications that he is somehow old and out-of-touch with the modern world. I can assure you the Senator is quite up-to-date on transportation, and travels interstate the same way as all modern Americans.

By train.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
is it possible that McCain is basing his scheduling around the assumption that he'll have to take a horse and buggy wherever he needs to go?
You shouldn't disparage Senator McCain with your implications that he is somehow old and out-of-touch with the modern world. I can assure you the Senator is quite up-to-date on transportation, and travels interstate the same way as all modern Americans.

By train.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just goes to show you, CallMeJoe is soooooooooooooooo clueless. We must have to have a trillion dollar bailout of the buggy whip industry, and Sarah Palin is on the cutting edge of transportation, she travels by broomstick powered by lipstick.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
According to Steve Schmidt. McCain is looking forward to tommorows debate.

SO I guess the debate is still on.

McCain = Bullshitter.

:)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So what happens if he doesn't show? The space is prepared, the time is boooked on the network, plus Obama will be there, so will they just do some sort of town hall question period, or let Obama do a speech? Or will they just cancel everything, which would be an enormous waste of money.

I'm sure he'll show, I was just wondering what would happen if he didn't. I'm looking forward to this debate.

KT

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Looks like McCains little stunt is back firing...

"Bailout plan ready till 'someone' came to D.C., Reid says"

:laugh:

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

By train.

I thought he donned his leather flying cap and scarf and took his bi-plane?

"Twenty one skidooooo - I'm off to Warshington, laddies!"

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Looks like McCains little stunt is back firing...

"Bailout plan ready till 'someone' came to D.C., Reid says"

:laugh:

It's not just Reid who feels that way either:

Schumer said Bush should also ?respectfully tell Sen. McCain to get out of town. He is not helping, he is harming. Before Sen. McCain made his announcement, we were making progress.? Schumer was referring to McCain?s announcement earlier in the week that he was suspending his campaign to return to Washington for the negotiations on the financial industry crisis.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

By train.

I thought he donned his leather flying cap and scarf and took his bi-plane?

"Twenty one skidooooo - I'm off to Warshington, laddies!"

Holy crap that made me LOL. :laugh:

KT

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: ggnl
Originally posted by: mjuszczak

Topic: So McCain is going to speak tonight...

I hope it's about cheesepie...

Might as well be....we're in the middle of a major domestic financial crisis and the debate topic is foreign policy.

Grunt03

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2000
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Anybody hear something about this ?

Can't seem to find any links - I'll go out searching the internets ...

I have seen a few headlines about it, I think the true reason is additional time is needed to teach Palin to read from her notes and do not for any reason speak her own opinion, thoughts or concerns.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Any attempts to tweak the debates by McCain is going to be spun as looking weak.

Yes he tried to get Obama out to town halls. Obama didn't want it, didnt agree to it.

But McCain did agreed to the current debate format time/dates

any tweaking now, either his own debates or Palin's, will look like he is weasely.

The fact that he tried to use the current economic mess as an excuse really really looks bad.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Boo, I wanted to see the mess that would be sprung if he didn't show.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
So wait a minute, McCain suspends his campaign just in time for the debates. Says we shouldn't debate. Obama slaps him and says, "STFU, we're going to debate." McCain says, "Fine, we'll debate."

What a weak ass bitch.