Friday Presidential Debate Delay ???

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Anybody hear something about this ?

Can't seem to find any links - I'll go out searching the internets ...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just heard it on MSNBC from the sweet Nora O'Donnell. I smell a rat...

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Given the enormity of this legislation, I dont think anyone should say it's a bad idea for him to suspend his campaign and return to Washington. Whether McCain is doing it for political reasons related to the campaign is debatable, because he is after all, a politician.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Mcain said he wants to put it off to go back to work on the bailout.

gutsy move.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
AKA he left it too late studying foreign policy and won't have his prep work done in time.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Obama contacted McCain to release a joint statement on "the principles" of the legislation. Obama, however, does not believe that the campaign should be suspended or the debate be delayed. -Just heard from CNN.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: waggy
Mcain said he wants to put it off to go back to work on the bailout.

gutsy move.

Very gutsy considering what he said a week ago, and how he's painted himself previously as far as his expertise in economics.

Seriously, what could McCain possibly help with at this point?

IMO, just a stunt to pretend he's some great populist to negate Obama's edge on the economy.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dbk
Obama contacted McCain to release a joint statement on "the principles" of the legislation. Obama, however, does not believe that the campaign should be suspended or the debate be delayed. -Just heard from CNN.

on fox they are saying obama is going to supsend but it was his idea..

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
AKA he left it too late studying foreign policy and won't have his prep work done in time.

yes, I'm sure he was terrified of debating a citizen of the world on the subject where he's strongest.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, we need him in Washington as a minor player in the Senate instead of on TV where the nation can get some sense of his metier.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Pretty slick move by McCain.

If Obama says no he is 'unAmerican'. If he says yes he is capitulating to McCain.

I don't really see an overwhelming reason to delay the debate - let's see them both go head to head ...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481

yes, I'm sure he was terrified of debating a citizen of the world on the subject where he's strongest.
Shock and awe, if his strongest asset is foreign policy, he has some studying to do!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Shock and awe, if his strongest asset is foreign policy, he has some studying to do!

Bomb, bomb, bomb. Bomb, bomb, Iran.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Jeeze.. what a cop out. The debates should go on, period. This ONE bill will not fix everything. That and McCain being at the senate will not change anything either.

He must be really scared to go on TV.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

Bomb, bomb, bomb. Bomb, bomb, Iran.
No house to house fighting, should be pretty easy :)

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
It doesn't make much sense to me for them to delay it, but if I were in Obama's shoes I'd feel compelled to go along with it. McCain's whole bit is "Country First" and painting Obama as a guy who's in it for the celebrity (remember how much they made fun of his set at Mile High Stadium?). So if Obama says no, later McCain will peg him with "see? we had a crisis and this guy refused to put his country first, and instead pushed forth with his campaign."

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
This is an interesting Gambit by McCain. Let's see what Obama does to counter. It's another move by a desperation candidate and it has a much bigger potential benefit than the Palin hail mary.

But... what it tells me is this... McCain needs another momentum stopper. The debate COULD have been it. But apparently his campaign doesn't think McCain can win enough points during the debate to shift the election. Very interestng. This could help OBama since the debate could have been a momentum stopper for him.

In a political voyeur spirit, I'm glad McCain is pulling a CLEVER stunt as opposed to a dirty stunt or a reckless stunt (palin).

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
So far, all I see is a request by McCain to postpone the debate and now its a matter of Obama agreeing to it or not.

But the whole bailout is radioactive for Obama and McCain. Neither of them have taken any public position yet, and to some extent, the candidate who does so first, leaves the other free to carve up all the rest of the territory.

But given the fact that McCain has been the one most hurt, the almost onus is on McCain to come up with his plan. And then get assaulted by everyone else.

If that is the calculus, I could not blame Obama for throwing in a few monkey wrenches at McCain's plans. Its the ole head them off at the pass bad movie line scenario. And then watch the double talk express
make a sharp right turn as it falls off the nearest cliff.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
OKay, now this is just bizzare:

At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama?s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

So McCain agreed to this why? He could ahve had the dems generally over a barrel. The Dems want McCain signed onto anything they pass. This forces his hand somewhat....

He pulls a clever move and then pulls a stupid move. He also has to deal with the fact that Bushy is going to be on TV today, reminding everyody that bush still exists.

Is this a reaction TO George Will excoriating him for being a windmill tilting hothead as opposed to a problem solver? Does he think joint statement will neutralize obama's advantage? I don't think neutralization is enough for McCain. IF the CRISIS portion is dealt with, then Obama can keep hitting him on the dregulation stuff to prevent a future crisis.

So this appears to be a desperation move where McCain does not want to appear desperate.