Friday Presidential Debate Delay ???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Drakkon
Obama - "Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time" - yep the gauntlets have been thrown.

I don't know how McCain's camp didn't see this epic fail coming .... they just served up a huge softball to Obama to knock out of the park.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pens1566
Obama - "Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time" - yep the gauntlets have been thrown.

I don't know how McCain's camp didn't see this epic fail coming .... they just served up a huge softball to Obama to knock out of the park.

Exactly. That was almost too easy.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003

I disagree. It's okay response but Obama needs to try to see a few moves ahead. I think the McCain campaign is doing what I do when I'm playing somebody far better than me at chess: ACT RANDOMLY to confuse the superior foe. Obama needs to think this through to determine how to best undermine mccain.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Stoneburner

I disagree. It's okay response but Obama needs to try to see a few moves ahead. I think the McCain campaign is doing what I do when I'm playing somebody far better than me at chess: ACT RANDOMLY to confuse the superior foe. Obama needs to think this through to determine how to best undermine mccain.

Considering all that has happened in the last 10 days, I think he has enough ammunition.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

well I think you go down the list.

Name all the smart, experienced, and influential people that are back in Washington trying to sort this mess out.

And then ask a very simple question:

Exactly what does McCain hope to do that these experts in economics, government, and 'free market' can't?

You know Senators don't work in a bubble. And since GWB is STILL POTUS neither Obama nor McCain will be doing anything spectacular other than injecting a partisan wave into what really needs to be a bipartisan effort to fix the wall street mess.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Nonsense. Obama just called McCain's bluff and raised him .... (if we're using gaming analogies)

If McCain insists on canceling/postponing the debate, he admits he can't handle both at the same time. Win Obama. If he caves and goes through with the debate, his bold gamble failed. Win Obama. He just "acted randomly" is way into a corner.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Nonsense. Obama just called McCain's bluff and raised him .... (if we're using gaming analogies)

If McCain insists on canceling/postponing the debate, he admits he can't handle both at the same time. Win Obama. If he caves and goes through with the debate, his bold gamble failed. Win Obama. He just "acted randomly" is way into a corner.

Not by the time the Republican Spin Masters get done with it ...

""Obama does not put his country first!""

""John McCain is a real leader!""

""We must stay tuned for the sake of the country - John (Galt) McCain is going to speak. He can fix anything. You know, he used to be a POW and can help us in this trying time.""

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

""We must stay tuned for the sake of the country - John (Galt) McCain is going to speak. He can fix anything. You know, he used to be a POW and can help us in this trying time.""

Given the recent polling, I think that tactic is no longer working.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
What the hell does he think he's missing at 9PM on a Friday?

110% political, not to mention it would only be presidential politics....

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

This. Obama might win in this, but I can make an argument for McCain being win-win here as well. If Obama refuses to move the debate, he doesn't put country first, doesn't work in a bipartisan fashion, etc. If he agrees to move the debate, then he's a sheep just following the "real leadership" of John McCain. At least, that's my prediction of what the GOP will try to make of this.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
I think this may be a ploy to delay that VP debate :)

I was correct for a change...

It's being reported they want to move the VP debate.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
John McCain desperately needs the image of being on top of this crisis. And actually has some aces if he can play if he and GWB& Paulson tag team against Obama and the democrats.

Sadly, its going to look more like WW wrestling showmanship than sound reasoning if my prediction is right.

As for the contention that "I think the McCain campaign is doing what I do when I'm playing somebody far better than me at chess: ACT RANDOMLY to confuse the superior foe." , as a chess player myself, that is about the dumbest statement I ever heard, it may buy a minute or two of time, once the superior player concludes its an effectual ploy, they will simply ignore it and keeping going for the jugular. And that is much of what Obama has just done.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
it's worked for me several times:) The point is, the experience player always tries to see patterns which just aren't there.

Anyway, back to the point: McCain needs to shift the status quo. A debate would have hlped. This was a ploy to get Palin out of the debates.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I predicted this cop out for the VP debates.
But this coming from mccain for the pres debates
just points out things are MUCH WORSE for republicans that anyone figured.
I guess those close polls are not really that close... John knows that.
When massive new voters are registering, and they are democratic registers,
something is going on mccain is fearing. Like shaking in his shoes.

But... debate or no debate, it doesnt really matter.
Voters are pissed and want a change in admin/party.
The bailouts brought that home BIG TIME.
And totally defused any 'Palin factor".

Face it America, Obama WILL be the next one to lead us.

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
John McCain desperately needs the image of being on top of this crisis. And actually has some aces if he can play if he and GWB& Paulson tag team against Obama and the democrats.

Sadly, its going to look more like WW wrestling showmanship than sound reasoning if my prediction is right.

As for the contention that "I think the McCain campaign is doing what I do when I'm playing somebody far better than me at chess: ACT RANDOMLY to confuse the superior foe." , as a chess player myself, that is about the dumbest statement I ever heard, it may buy a minute or two of time, once the superior player concludes its an effectual ploy, they will simply ignore it and keeping going for the jugular. And that is much of what Obama has just done.

I think this is in response to Harry "I don't know what to do" Reid, statement that: ?We need, now, the Republicans to start producing some votes for us. We need the Republican nominee for president to let us know where he stands and what we should do.? [Video]

Considering the magnitude of the bill, not showing up to vote is going to look very unpresidential. McCain makes a very valid point about Obama voting present XXX amount of times. That doesn't look good, no matter how you spin it. And not voting on this bill and therefore showing support for or against it, is a failure of the litmus test for being president. Bush is a president who fails to lead. He likes to delegate power to others. If that is how Obama operates, then that's a sad showing for Mr. Hope and Change. He needs to stand firm on this bill. Making a joint statement about what he and McCain would want on the bill is lame. It's easy to say, I want a bill that puts firm oversight and doesn't reward the rich CEOs, and helps poor home owners stay in their home. But failure to go down there and make it happen is what separates leaders from posers.

Anyway, delaying the debate may or may not be prudent. But if Obama still insists on the debate and McCain says he's busy because he's dealing with this, Obama is going to look like an *ss. You can claim McCain is chicken, but I don't think that will fly. Since McCain will fire back with "What is more important? A $700 Billion bailout or a debate we can reschedule?"

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Where has Obama said he won't be voting on the bailout?? When is that vote going to take place again????

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: AllWhacked
Originally posted by: Lemon law

I think this is in response to Harry "I don't know what to do" Reid, statement that: ?We need, now, the Republicans to start producing some votes for us. We need the Republican nominee for president to let us know where he stands and what we should do.? [Video]

Considering the magnitude of the bill, not showing up to vote is going to look very unpresidential. McCain makes a very valid point about Obama voting present XXX amount of times. That doesn't look good, no matter how you spin it. And not voting on this bill and therefore showing support for or against it, is a failure of the litmus test for being president. Bush is a president who fails to lead. He likes to delegate power to others. If that is how Obama operates, then that's a sad showing for Mr. Hope and Change. He needs to stand firm on this bill. Making a joint statement about what he and McCain would want on the bill is lame. It's easy to say, I want a bill that puts firm oversight and doesn't reward the rich CEOs, and helps poor home owners stay in their home. But failure to go down there and make it happen is what separates leaders from posers.

Anyway, delaying the debate may or may not be prudent. But if Obama still insists on the debate and McCain says he's busy because he's dealing with this, Obama is going to look like an *ss. You can claim McCain is chicken, but I don't think that will fly. Since McCain will fire back with "What is more important? A $700 Billion bailout or a debate we can reschedule?"
I think what is more important is that obviously McCain can't balance his priorities and schedule. He can't multitask, something a President needs to be very good at doing. He all but conceded that he isn't equiped to handle a big crisis and be the POTUS. Not when he can't even trust the experts back in Washington to do their job.

Somehow he thinks he needs to be hovering over their shoulder and guiding their every move.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Dont get too distracted with debates and bailouts.
A presidential election is coming up and people are still
focused on that.