msi gtx 1080 gaming 8g x
FD design define s
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming pro carbon ac
2x FD included fans, 1x noctua nf a14 fan
noctua nh d15 2xnfa15 fans
seasonic prime ultra titanium 750w
wd black 2tb, some old samsung 1,5tb
crucial mx500 1tb

When booting up, the usual running white circle comes up which would result in the beginning of the windows install but no: nothing. After 2 maybe 3 seconds the circle freezes. Right after that the

2 cpu fans and the 3 system fans go to max rpm and that's it, nothing happens.

BIOS on default settings
will try updating it to newer bios

Tried 2 different 2.0 usb ports so far.

On the board the ez debug leds dont light up so in theory every component works fine.

Tried another 16gb (single channel) corsair ram too, same results.

The new wd black 2tb drive plugged in, in bios it doesn't show up -> disconnected it
I haven't plugged the samsung hdd in yet.
So both HDDs are disconnected, only the SSD is plugged in.

I tried every single combination of legacy-uefi / uefi ; using a windows7 dvd (only allowed legacy)
I used 2 different windows 10 isos.

Both the pendrive and the dvd works fine, tested it on laptop.

Made a W10 mbr bootable pendrive in rufus also same result, BUT with above the loading white circle there was the windows logo. (it wasn't there so far)

On 3 occasions, once uefi+legacy with the windows7 dvd, once legacy+uefi with the pendrive(iso#1), and once also legacy+uefi with the same pendrive but with the other w10 iso I didn't get to the

loading dots but got an error message saying it can't boot in bios/legacy mode etc (see pic)
Based on this I would assume that the problem is with uefi(?)

I might make a win7 uefi and mbr pendrive too, see if that works...

One more thing: I grabbed out the gpu, see if it makes a difference, plugged the hdmi cable in the mobo hdmi slot: nothing on the screen. Maybe the cpu causes all this?

Thank you so much for any help!

20190814_135022.jpg

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Below are tried and true install procedures for windows 10. But first chose the proposed C drive and ensure it is recognized in the bios. Then follow these steps, completely avoiding rufus.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.
Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.
All data on the drive is deleted.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think you are trying to install too much hardware all at once. Just use one primary system drive and disconnect the other drives. Then get that working first then connect one drive at a time to determine what is not working. If you use an SATA M.2 drive, SATA 0 can not be used.

Putting an old drive in a new computer can be a problem. Hard Drives all ware out eventually, like 2-5 years.

koppi999

Aug 14, 2019
Below are tried and true install procedures for windows 10. But first chose the proposed C drive and ensure it is recognized in the bios. Then follow these steps, completely avoiding rufus.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.
Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings, CSM is enabled and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.

Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.
All data on the drive is deleted.

Did the pendrive with Windows media tool, instead of rufus
Removed the 2 HDDs, left in only the brand new SSD.
It was AHCI by default, I changed it once to RAID but it also didn't work so I changed it back.
UEFI+Legcy mode so that is CSM
The UEFI Sandisk USB drive was moved to the top.
All the same outcome unfortunately.

Tried Linux
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS with Rufus3.6p on my SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 64GB /SDCZ800-064G-G46 pendrive.
Made 'MBR with UEFI or BIOS' settings in rufus as well as a 'GPT with UEFI(not CSM)'. In both cases, I tried UEFI and UEFI+Legacy settings in the BIOS.
On all occasions I got this error message after selecting 'install ubuntu'. (See pic)
After the error message I got a purple screen with a keyboard logo on the left and a human in a circle next to it. This purple things was happening only for a mere second. After that this purple screen disappeared and nothing happened. One notable change though: no fan speeding up, everything stayed normal, just nothing happened
20190816_132249.jpg

Oh, and I didn't mount the whole thing into the case: I just can't mount one of the two spring screws on the cpu cooler, So it's near the case with everything plugged in. I put many papers under it so it's high enough. As far as I know paper does not conduct electricity, so I didn't think this would be important.
The very first time I started up the pc, I intentionally left the soft plasticish protective stuff under the board (to protect the back of the board) which came with it in the box. After that I figured since plastic conducts electricity that might cause problems (especially that the manual warned me about ESD, even touch a metal object before touching the board (which I did))
The whole cooler is perfectly in the right place, just one of the spring screws is not fastened.
I didn't think this could be important (especially with good temps), but on second thought maybe it is after ESD this ESD that.

How could I fasten the other spring screw? Since it's quite obvious, but I still just can't do it, what am I doing wrong? The manual says perform 2-3 turns on each screw then repeat until both are fully tightened. And warns me about not using excessive force, tighten it gently.
I performed 4 turns, 2 turns and 3 turns too.

CPU's highest temp was 45 °C
System's highest temp was like 40 °C

For some reason I could only tighten the spring screws when I bent the whole heatsink little to the side of the screw.
If I just align the screw thread to the mounting bar it doesn't fit in the thread. So I bend it a tiny little. But then I can't bend it to the other side because of the first one is already tightened.
I figure I should tighten it straight in, but then it's like it's blocked or something.

Memory is installed well.
Memory was on auto. Changed it to DDR4-2133 (16x100.00x1,33). There are no other 2133mhz options.
I couldn't find any settings for changing timing. The only thing I could find was Memory try it! but there I can only OC the ram to e.g. DDR4-3000 CL14 DDR4-3200 CL14 etc. There's only 1 CL15 value: DDR4-3466 CL15 but that's hardly normal value for a 3000mhz cl15 ram.

Also I checked connections: every cable is well in place.

"The errors seem to be related to an attempt to import UEFI keys for Secure Boot.
I do not have Secure Boot enabled in my BIOS but do only boot in UEFI.
I have a SuperMicro board with American Megatrends BIOS Version 2.2
I was able to stop the errors simply by changing a setting in the BIOS from [Customized] to [Standard] for Secure Boot Mode.
The Customized setting allows you to modify the secure boot keys manually. The Standard just sets the default keys.
Note: This fixed my error even though I previously had Secure Boot [Disabled] in BIOS settings.

Security -> Secure Boot -> Secure Boot Mode -> [Standard] "

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2380700

I have secure boot which either disabled or enabled and I have Secure boot mode which can be standard or custom. Now I will try some combinations and see what happens.
Until now the first one was disabled while the latter was on standard

I will try remounting the whole cooler from the very beginning, maybe even starting with a cpu remounting.

I might try buying a 3 $ intel stock cooler and mounting so I can mount the board in its place.

I'll also try just turning things on entering the bios and leaving it there and wait (with the current) to confirm if there are acutally temperature problems (or will be). (The cooler is exactly like if it is mounted well, only difference is IF I would try to mount it in its vertical place in the case, one of the cooler's side would bend towards the other leaving a big space betwwen the cpu and the cooler. But in its current horizontal state there is no such issue, everything touches with everything physically only as it should.)

Attachments

• 20190816_132249.jpg
    20190816_132249.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 6

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
OK, nice try, obvious hardware issues, sorry for your loss. I've never seen such code errors SO I suggest you ask a local technician to confirm a few things, like what the heck is going on.My suspicion leans to the cpu/board and I otherwise would return each, under warranty, one at a time .