Freeware programs and applications

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like a sweet free-for-personal-use replacement for notepad!

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: MadRat
Audio CD's are measured in time, not MB. Perhaps you should try first to remove all dead spaces between the songs.

I've thought about doing it, but won't it make the songs change between them without a normal small pause? I mean on regular CD players ...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: b4u
Audio CD's are measured in time, not MB. Perhaps you should try first to remove all dead spaces between the songs.

I've thought about doing it, but won't it make the songs change between them without a normal small pause? I mean on regular CD players ...

Nero has a default of 2 second spaces. That is a long pause in my book. I like zero pause so one song stops and another almost instantly begins - like when listening to the radio.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
MinGW Dev studio, looks and feels like VC++ 6.0. It's based on MinGW and gcc. Free and works well. Single easy to use exe install.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I most of the time capture to Mpeg2 and I want a free program that will convert it to xvid or Divx. I would like something graphical and not command line. Something that is easy to use and does most of the settings automatically. I have virtualdubmod, but was looking for something a little more user friendly/automated.

Thanks

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: b4u

Nero has a default of 2 second spaces. That is a long pause in my book. I like zero pause so one song stops and another almost instantly begins - like when listening to the radio.

Still, saving 2 seconds between musics I don't think it will give me the free space I need ... is there any software that can pick an MP3 and drop his music quality (allowing me to choose the final quality, of course)?

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I think there is a diference. I think with trialware it will work for a certain peroid and then stop alltogether, with share ware it might work with limited functionality.

gdvbel

Jun 25, 2005
Internet download accelerator is very fast, but isn't freeware anymore, but there is "Free Download Manager" instead.

The plugin "Flashgot" will allow you to use this download manager (or others) wiht Firefox or mozilla. And I guess this fast download manager won't remain free. So hurry.

You have Hotkeyz by Skynergy ; a utility for all those text snippets you repeatedly have to type, so this program allows you to do it via a few hotkeys.

Another utility is RunIt : you begin to type the first letters of a program you need, and RunIt finds it in seconds. (http://keleos.h11.ru/runit/)

Or Find and Run Robot, which is doing more or less the same.
Very handy.

"Startdreck" will show you all the programs that run at startup, and where they are hidden.

neo trace express shows you where a website is located on a map of the world : a kind of visual traceroute.

"Asc to tab" will allow you to transform a simple text to a htlm page with all the urls linkable.

"Open expert" allows you to open a file, using a different program than the one you would normally use. Sometimes you want to hear a wav in Winamp instead of Windows media player". For those who frequently change programs.

Maxmem will allow you to occasionaly free up the ram.

And for the Pocket Pc there is a free scrabble-like program on sourceforge.net for ppc's with windows mobile 2003 : xwords (also available for Palm), including foreign dictionaries.

Oggdrop : drop a file on it, and it converts to ogg, the new open source replacement for mp3 (better quality in a smaller file)

We owe those programmers a lot !!

Pastore

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2000
I found a pretty decent ISO maker/burner that is would right into windows explorer. Pretty cool, might want to add it to your list. Text

Eddieo

Nov 17, 2004
Edit Pad lite is awesome and fast. If you ever read a nfo or txt type file and you find yourself scrolling to the right to read, get Edit Pad lite for true txt formatting.

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: secondvijai007
There is a wonderful program called mp3mymp3, its free, and the fun thing about it is that it records any sound that goes through your sound card. Its actually quite useful, for recording sound from a radio show, or webcast.
I belive selecting "stereo mix" from the recording source in the windows volume control does the same thing.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Did anyone post theOPENcd project?

The following applications are included on TheOpenCD 2.0:

Productivity
[*]OpenOffice 1.1.3
[*]AbiWord 2.2.1
[*]PDFCreator 0.8

Design
[*]GIMP 2.0.5
[*]Blender 2.35a