Freeware programs and applications

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
What's a very basic FTP that runs from one file (no install)?

Originally posted by: benthepenguin
I need program to get drums to my own guitar riffs. It doesn't have to be too great, just basic set of drums.
Me too.

Feb 9, 2005
Originally posted by: b4u
Hi,

Don't know if anyone posted something about it, but I recently have found a nice piece of free software.

m0n0wall

If you have an old piece of hardware (like a pentium dropped on your basement), you can bring it to life as a router/firewall black box for your internet connection.

As a normal router, if your PC has 2 network interface cards, you can setup one as WAN and the other as LAN, and of you go, with maximum firewall security. It only took me 15 minutes of preparation and configuration (with the Quick Guide available online), to get it up and running. On a system with NO hard drive ... the OS was booted from CD-ROM, and the configuration saved on a XML file on a floppy disk. Couldn't me more clean.

The software is based on a stripped down version of FreeBSD, has a startup console for configuration of basic aspects (which interface is WAN and which is LAN, and also DHCP server and ranges if you want to, also the password for the web gui configuration), has a PHP server to deliver a nice web interface to all extra configuration, and you can configure many aspects, like Firewall Inbound/Outbound, NAT, DNS (forwarder & dynamic), DHCP, Wireless config, VPN config (protocols and stuff related), ...

All I can say is that I test it for a small period of time, and already I'm impressed with it. I have a small network to config and share a connection, and given an old piece of equipment, I'll create a "black box" that'll share my web connection providing many great security options and being easy to setup, config and maintain. And I'll just save some money on some router, and the process of choosing which one has the features I need now and will probably need in the future (like for example VPN).

Nice Software!

Also good is Smoothwall (Linux distro based) and OpenBSD. I have used OpenBSD 2.9 as a software firewall for quite some time. I use different iprules for different games. All I have to do is change the alias to the iprules for the game in question and restart the daemon. :D

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Slickone

I need program to get drums to my own guitar riffs. It doesn't have to be too great, just basic set of drums.
Me too.

Well, you have ftp from the command prompt if you're using windows ... it comes with the OS.

For example: c:\>ftp 200.124.84.12 and it's open an ftp connection ... then you'll have to type the commands yourself (that's what ftp programs do on background, anyway).

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Originally posted by: MalfurionStormrage
Also good is Smoothwall (Linux distro based) and OpenBSD. I have used OpenBSD 2.9 as a software firewall for quite some time. I use different iprules for different games. All I have to do is change the alias to the iprules for the game in question and restart the daemon. :D

What I liked more about m0n0wall was it's ease of setup and use. How does Smoothwall (Linux distro based) and OpenBSD behave?

Are they easy to setup, or do I need some linux knowledge to do so?

Feb 9, 2005
Smoothwall is downloadable as an ISO. My friend (who is not very Linux-savvy) set his up in almost no time.

If you don't like to tinker with Unix/Unix-like operating systems, stay far, far away from OpenBSD. However, it is one of the most secure operating systems in the world (though this subject is debated endlessly) when set up correctly. There's a very useful FAQ on the website but make sure you print it out first. ;)

RayCathode

Oct 10, 2001

I've never tried any of these programs, but there seem to be a few programs on this page that might fit the bill: Harmony Central

Nice site for guitar/bass tabs too if you need them.

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
Originally posted by: b4u
Originally posted by: Slickone

Me too.

Well, you have ftp from the command prompt if you're using windows ... it comes with the OS.

For example: c:\>ftp 200.124.84.12 and it's open an ftp connection ... then you'll have to type the commands yourself (that's what ftp programs do on background, anyway).
I was hoping to go one step above using the command prompt. :)

Ausimax

Dec 11, 2004
Haven't tried CutePDF or PDF Creator recently, however last time I did, I found they would only print to PDF the one document. Where with PDF995 and PDF Edit you can keep adding documents even other PDF files. I find it invaluable for all those How-To files in many pages you save, and then have to keep opening endless pages until you find the one you want - I just print them in order into a PDF and with PDF edit you can add bookmarks to each section. one of the most useful applications on my machine and with PDF Reader it's great. Wouldn't leave home without it!

Diz2K2

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2002
www.mayworks.com
Pasteboard

Pasteboard: A basic tabbed notebook utility for holding text while you cut, copy and paste between different programs. It helps to overcome the limitations of the Windows clipboard feature by providing you with 10 pages of text space where you can store information until required at a later time.

Every page automatically saves itself on exiting the program and then re-loads the next time you start. So you don't have to worry about saving or loading each page seperately every time you use the program.

Athlex

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2000
I've been dying to find a free MPEG2/DVD encoder and DIKO looks like the ticket. Thanks!

BTW, for AV I also reccomend Trend Micro's software. Their Housecall site scans for viruses/spyware/adware and it enormously useful for quick tests and 'second opinions' I've also used their server AV suite and it's definitely worthwhile (if not free).

Housecall

jgs007

Nov 24, 2004
anyone know of a good graphical drive space calculator? i like 'freespace' as a shareware program so i can track down which of my folders is using the most space....but haven't found a good free one.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: jgs007
anyone know of a good graphical drive space calculator? i like 'freespace' as a shareware program so i can track down which of my folders is using the most space....but haven't found a good free one.

Jdiskreport by JGoodies

OverDisk

doan

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Bob151
Anyone know of a free program for Windows that will make ISOs. I want to stop swapping CDs for games. I searched and found someone, not in this thread, recommended ISOBuster. Its not free and I can't figure out how to make an ISO from a CD with it.

Thanks

cd2iso http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
anyone having trouble signing up with the free panda antivirus? i get an error after submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.