Freeware programs and applications

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: rnp614
I've GOT to say that I'm totally impressed by CD Burner XP Pro 3! Its just like nero but cooler because its free!

^ I too have been extremely impressed with it. I dont even use Nero anymore and even began installing at all the workstations at work instead of nero.

igowerf

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: msasani
Excellent sources !!! Never knew this software exosted thanks OP !!
Screw Gates !!!

Ha. I'm not out to screw Bill Gates though. :) In fact, I own several copies of WinXP. I just want to show people that there are free and sometimes better software solutions out there. If we stop pirating, then maybe software companies can stop bitching and actually lower their prices.

jterrell

Nov 18, 2004
Companies dont make software, programmers do.
When companies stop making money off of the software more free-ware will be put out by individuals.

Switch to linux and open source.
Donate where you want and pay for support not the software itself.

MS stole all of their code anyway so I would have no issues not supporting them financially.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
dvd::rip for Linux

Still a bit rough around the edges, but I got a movie ripped to disk, and then transcoded to a VCD on my Fedora Core 2 box with relatively little pain. Make sure you get all the dependencies installed to save yourself some frustration. There are required dependencies and optional dependencies. The ability to transcode to mpg for VCDs depends on an optional dependency and had me scratching my head for a bit.

Aug 16, 2001
Excellent thread. I like to contribute.

I was loking for a free MPEG2 encoder to replace TMPGEnc when the MPEG2 trial period is over.
Finally I found DIKO. I've been using it for a couple of DVDs now and it works great.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
The link to DIKO doesn't seem to work. I haven't done any MPEG2 encoding with it, but QuEnc is a really fast MPEG1/2 encoder (like, 3-4x the speed of TMPGEnc for MPEG1). Requires AviSynth, also free, and either the ability to write AviSynth scripts or a frontend to AviSynth.

Browsing your list, I see you don't have a few other programs I like.

File compression: 7-Zip - suggested by Ken_g6. Supports 5 formats fully (including zip, gzip, and bzip), and another 7 (including rar) for decompression. Almost as easy to use as WinZip: includes an explorer extension, but no drag-and-drop capability. Creates (sometimes) smaller zip archives, and (almost always) smaller .7z archives (roughly equivalent to .rar in size).

HTTP proxy: The Proxomitron - suggested by Ken_g6. An incredibly useful HTTP proxy. At its simplest, it's an ad blocker and proxy relay. With only a little more work, it can do many more things, like present WGet (or similar website copier) requests as Internet Explorer requests, or kill all images on certain sites. It also automatically uses gzip encoding when available, e.g. for WGet which doesn't.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Ken_g6
The link to DIKO doesn't seem to work. I haven't done any MPEG2 encoding with it, but QuEnc is a really fast MPEG1/2 encoder (like, 3-4x the speed of TMPGEnc for MPEG1). Requires AviSynth, also free, and either the ability to write AviSynth scripts or a frontend to AviSynth.

Browsing your list, I see you don't have a few other programs I like.

File compression: 7-Zip - suggested by Ken_g6. Supports 5 formats fully (including zip, gzip, and bzip), and another 7 (including rar) for decompression. Almost as easy to use as WinZip: includes an explorer extension, but no drag-and-drop capability. Creates (sometimes) smaller zip archives, and (almost always) smaller .7z archives (roughly equivalent to .rar in size).

HTTP proxy: The Proxomitron - suggested by Ken_g6. An incredibly useful HTTP proxy. At its simplest, it's an ad blocker and proxy relay. With only a little more work, it can do many more things, like present WGet (or similar website copier) requests as Internet Explorer requests, or kill all images on certain sites. It also automatically uses gzip encoding when available, e.g. for WGet which doesn't.

What's wrong with the link?

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
I was trying to find an PDF creator and saw this thread, viola! CutePDF Writer is very easy to use and unobtrusive.

Thanks! :)

Michael D

Dec 5, 2004
AceFTP, a freeware FTP Program. http://software.visicommedia.c...oducts/aceftpfreeware/

AceHTML, a freeware HTML editor by the same company. http://software.visicommedia.c...ducts/acehtmlfreeware/

NoteTab Lite. Good Notepad replacement with some nifty HTML and web features. http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

eventSherpa. Free calendar program with iCal calendar compatibility's. You can even share calendars in real time using iCal Exchange (http://www.icalx.com/). http://www.eventsherpa.com/ (site down currently, but download can still be accessed)

Later, I'll check what free programs I have downloaded on my home computer (on an iBook currently) and post some more. :)

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Update on Alzip, the site has now switched to a korean host and you cant read jack squat, unless you are capable.

imhotepmp

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
Excellent thread, I now use quite a few of the listed programs.

Heres my contribution:

A freeare site called NoNags

Nearly all software listed is freeware. Quite a few good programs listed.

Imouthes

Fatherof3

Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: TP
I run AVG free on windows server 2003 and it works fine.. Haven't used Bitdefender so can't comment about it.. AVG is pretty decent though... really good about udpating...

Exactly what I thought.

Then I uninstalled AVG Pro and installed AntiVir to get a second opinion on my HD.

The result was shocking: five viruses (viri? whatever). FIVE !

I have to calm down...

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Fatherof3
Originally posted by: TP
I run AVG free on windows server 2003 and it works fine.. Haven't used Bitdefender so can't comment about it.. AVG is pretty decent though... really good about udpating...

Exactly what I thought.

Then I uninstalled AVG Pro and installed AntiVir to get a second opinion on my HD.

The result was shocking: five viruses (viri? whatever). FIVE !

I have to calm down...

AVG free edition will not run on Windows Server editions.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Paint.NET is a cross between Photoshop and MS PAINT.

I found it at betanews.com

I also like the CutePDF, which is free for non-commercial use.

Status
Not open for further replies.