SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You understand the solution to this is to confiscate & outlaw all firearms right?

Sure, if we got rid of all guns then there would be significantly less gun crime. If we got rid of the 1A and forced people to only say nice things there wouldn't be bullying suicides. If we outlawed tobacco there'd be potentially half a million people a year saved. If we got rid of cars there wouldn't be auto accidents. If we outlawed all knives people would be much less likely to be stabbed. But, we are a free society and accept that with certain freedoms and liberties there are risks that come with it. The real answer in America is to try and limit harm to society while keeping our freedoms intact.

Reactions: UglyCasanova

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No sympathy for the woman who lost her daughter to a drive by shooter in Texas, Slow?

Oh that's right, 3 factors that don't warrant a reaction from you

Perp: White
Victim: black

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No sympathy for the woman who lost her daughter to a drive by shooter in Texas, Slow?

Oh that's right, 3 factors that don't warrant a reaction from you

Perp: White
Victim: black

I think anyone innocent killed by a gun is one too many. I think that's terrible. But that doesn't change the FACT that the highest homicide rates are found in Democrat controlled cities.

Why are you making this about race? Racists only see race...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think anyone innocent killed by a gun is one too many. I think that's terrible. But that doesn't change the FACT that the highest homicide rates are found in Democrat controlled cities.

If you manage honesty you would point out majority of gun deaths is suicide and that location is the Democratic state of Alaska

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you manage honesty you would point out majority of gun deaths is suicide and that location is the Democratic state of Alaska

I believe the suicide rate is even higher in Scandinavian countries with stricter gun laws... so what?

I'm not talking about self harm. Suicide is one subject, but this story is about crime and harm caused by others to innocent third parties. And crime and harm to innocent people, high homicide rates, are found in long time Democrat controlled cities.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I believe the suicide rate is even higher in Scandinavian countries with stricter gun laws... so what?

I'm not talking about self harm. Suicide is one subject, but this story is about crime and harm caused by others to innocent third parties. And crime and harm to innocent people, high homicide rates, are found in long time Democrat controlled cities.
Your fake concern is noted

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Almost all major American cities are controlled by Democrats and cities inherently have higher murder rates than other areas. (more people interacting = more murder) Saying that it's notable that they are controlled by Democrats is almost like saying it's notable they are controlled by mayors.

It's interesting that you don't worry more about St. Louis than you do Chicago, considering St. Louis' murder rate is approaching three times that of Chicago's. I wonder if that's because Republicans dominate all aspects of state government there, haha. In fact, 6 of the 10 cities with the highest murder rates are from red states.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/highest-murder-rates-us-cities-list/

Says the guy who was very surprised by Dinesh D'Souza's political opinions because he was brown.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Almost all major American cities are controlled by Democrats and cities inherently have higher murder rates than other areas. (more people interacting = more murder) Saying that it's notable that they are controlled by Democrats is almost like saying it's notable they are controlled by mayors.

It's interesting that you don't worry more about St. Louis than you do Chicago, considering St. Louis' murder rate is approaching three times that of Chicago's. I wonder if that's because Republicans dominate all aspects of state government there, haha. In fact, 6 of the 10 cities with the highest murder rates are from red states.

Says the guy who was very surprised by Dinesh D'Souza's political opinions because he was brown.

So another blue city, St. Louis has been Democrat controlled since 1949. Appreciate the example.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
In the future when you complain about people attacking you and not engaging with your ideas you should remember posts like this because this is what we mean when we say you do not argue in good faith.

Facts are tough for you, you're having a hard time today.

St. Louis is very much a blue city, and has a terrible gun homicide problem. Agree with those facts, or no?

Nov 8, 2012
You understand the solution to this is to confiscate & outlaw all firearms right?

Confiscate? So you want cops or federal officers to do a complete walk through of your home to see if you have any?

Oh but I'm sure the criminals will freely give up them and turn them in to the designated recycling facility amirite?

Nov 8, 2012

Oh come on - be truthful here... You know damn well that those "cities" that are a part of those "red states" are DARK blue cities. Don't be misconstruing things - the only reason those are red states are (mostly) from their respective rural areas.

Feb 4, 2009
Confiscate? So you want cops or federal officers to do a complete walk through of your home to see if you have any?

Oh but I'm sure the criminals will freely give up them and turn them in to the designated recycling facility amirite?

I’m not saying, I’m just saying people have said...
Of course if all guns were confiscated and all gun supplies plus ammunition was outlawed there would come a time when there were no more guns.
Not saying this is a practical idea but if the goal is to 100% eliminate gun deaths that is the only course of action.
Found it strange the SLO would suggest that.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I’m not saying, I’m just saying people have said...
Of course if all guns were confiscated and all gun supplies plus ammunition was outlawed there would come a time when there were no more guns.
Not saying this is a practical idea but if the goal is to 100% eliminate gun deaths that is the only course of action.
Found it strange the SLO would suggest that.

I didn't suggest that, at all. Have you seen my replies here? I have brought up how in America we try and balance risk to society with individual freedoms and liberties. I did agree that without guns that would help the problem but I did not suggest we enact any sort of gun confiscation. You're being dishonest here and you know it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Oh come on - be truthful here... You know damn well that those "cities" that are a part of those "red states" are DARK blue cities. Don't be misconstruing things - the only reason those are red states are (mostly) from their respective rural areas.

It's odd that you would edit out the first part of my post where I mentioned that all cities were blue and then tried to say I was misconstruing things. If anything you are misconstruing my post.

Almost all cities are blue, meaning the fact that the cities with the highest murder rates are controlled by Democrats is not notable. After all, most of the big cities with the lowest murder rates are also controlled by Democrats. So if almost all cities are blue, the real thing we should be looking at is where these cities differ. Honestly, I think it has little to do with the party of those in charge either way but if you DID want to look at political power and how it relates to murders the first major difference would be who controls state government. After all, cities are 100% controlled by the state and exist only because the state wills it.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's odd that you would edit out the first part of my post where I mentioned that all cities were blue and then tried to say I was misconstruing things. If anything you are misconstruing my post.

Almost all cities are blue, meaning the fact that the cities with the highest murder rates are controlled by Democrats is not notable. After all, most of the big cities with the lowest murder rates are also controlled by Democrats. So if almost all cities are blue, the real thing we should be looking at is where these cities differ. Honestly, I think it has little to do with the party of those in charge either way but if you DID want to look at political power and how it relates to murders the first major difference would be who controls state government. After all, cities are 100% controlled by the state and exist only because the state wills it.

Here is a list of the 50 largest cities and the mayor with the party the mayor is associated with.

None of the cities with Republican or independent mayors made your list despite being urban large cities. Some of those red/independent mayoral cities have lax gun laws, too. Just sayin

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

I ask this honestly, even though this is a troll thread...

What solution? Are you saying that you think homicides will go down? The research I know of is basically inconclusive. Gun homicides go down, but, homicide and suicide rates stay roughly the same. In developed countries, crime has been going down, and removing guns makes little to no impact in that change.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

What solution? Are you saying that you think homicides will go down? The research I know of is basically inconclusive. Gun homicides go down, but, homicide and suicide rates stay roughly the same. In developed countries, crime has been going down, and removing guns makes little to no impact in that change.

The research is not inconclusive in any way. Increased prevalence of guns and gun ownership is associated with higher risk of both homicide and suicide.

Here is one example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504296/

Results. We estimated that the law was associated with a 40% reduction in Connecticut’s firearm homicide rates during the first 10 years that the law was in place. By contrast, there was no evidence for a reduction in nonfirearm homicides.

Conclusions. Consistent with prior research, this study demonstrated that Connecticut’s handgun permit-to-purchase law was associated with a subsequent reduction in homicide rates. As would be expected if the law drove the reduction, the policy’s effects were only evident for homicides committed with firearms.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

This is not a troll thread but a sad commentary on gun crimes in major cities of this country. It took all of two minutes into the new year for the first gun crime arrest in Chicago. Just goes to show how little over the top strict gun laws help.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006