For one minute into 2019, there were no gun-related arrests. Then 12:02AM came.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You realize the United States has enjoyed a similar trend?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-u-s-murder-rate-is-up-but-still-far-below-its-1980-peak/

And we didn't do anything with guns. I believe it has been attributed to better control and reduction of lead poisoning. As in, for the first two thirds of our industrial era, we were quite literally poisoning people into violent aggression with high levels of lead contamination. I would presume such a trend is global in places that have tried to clean up their environment.

TL;DR, you may have used false attribution?

I did not, if you look at my post more closely I specifically mentioned that homicide rates are influenced by a ton of things. What I took exception to was realibrad's statement that the murder rate did not decline in Australia after the gun ban, which is simply false. I'm perfectly willing to discuss what caused that decline and there's a good scholarly debate on that front. The idea that it did not decline at all however is wrong.

All that aside what we're really talking about is gun policy within the US and the research is not at all equivocal on that - more gun control means lower homicide and suicide.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I did not, if you look at my post more closely I specifically mentioned that homicide rates are influenced by a ton of things. What I took exception to was realibrad's statement that the murder rate did not decline in Australia after the gun ban, which is simply false. I'm perfectly willing to discuss what caused that decline and there's a good scholarly debate on that front. The idea that it did not decline at all however is wrong.

All that aside what we're really talking about is gun policy within the US and the research is not at all equivocal on that - more gun control means lower homicide and suicide.

No.

I said this.

I ask this honestly, even though this is a troll thread...

What solution? Are you saying that you think homicides will go down? The research I know of is basically inconclusive. Gun homicides go down, but, homicide and suicide rates stay roughly the same. In developed countries, crime has been going down, and removing guns makes little to no impact in that change.

That was my very first post in this thread, and it was the thing that you responded to. So when I say that there was no reduction, I was speaking to the fact that the trend downward seems to be unaffected.

This point was made again in post 39 that you already responded to.

Again, no. If you look at developed countries, you see that the trend is downward. Low and middle income are also trending down.

Murder rate declined, but, gun laws appear to have little to no effect on that trend, as the trend was established before and continued.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No.

I said this.

That was my very first post in this thread, and it was the thing that you responded to. So when I say that there was no reduction, I was speaking to the fact that the trend downward seems to be unaffected.

This point was made again in post 39 that you already responded to.

Murder rate declined, but, gun laws appear to have little to no effect on that trend, as the trend was established before and continued.

No, this is a clearly false representation of the thread. Your first claim was indeed what you quoted, which was also false. When I responded to that however I showed how the removal of guns within parts of America did indeed cause an increased decline in the homicide and suicide rates. You then falsely characterized that study because you did not read it carefully.

In a later post you falsely stated Australia did not see much of a decline after banning many types of guns, which is what that second post of mine referred to.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No, this is a clearly false representation of the thread. Your first claim was indeed what you quoted, which was also false. When I responded to that however I showed how the removal of guns within parts of America did indeed cause an increased decline in the homicide and suicide rates. You then falsely characterized that study because you did not read it carefully.

In a later post you falsely stated Australia did not see much of a decline after banning many types of guns, which is what that second post of mine referred to.

What I see is a trend that started well before Gun control in Australia that continued after the regulations. I see no reason to "assume" that the trend would not have continued without the control.

page1-776px-Gun_Deaths_by_Year%2C_Australia%2C_America.pdf.jpg