Football fans rejoice: Pats vs. Giants game to be simucast by CBS and NBC!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
wait.. we get to here the NFL network commentators on NBC and CBS?!?!

Yes. And in Boston, the local ABC affiliate is also broadcasting the game, though I believe it's a telecast of the NFL Network.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
I'm surprised they got this worked out, but it makes total sense that they'd have to give it to both networks to be equitable at this point.

So woot - I can pick whichever channel I get better HD reception on!

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
stay out of this if you think football has to do with a round ball.

What if I hate both teams and couldn't possibly care less who wins?

Then your home phone is bugged and internet traffic is now being monitored. The Patriot Act has anti-americans like you covered. :p

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Figures.. The only NFL Network game I was going to get (since I am NY market) anyway and now its on nationally! Why couldnt they do this for Cowboys v Packers. Assholes

gingerstewart55

Sep 12, 2007
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
wait.. we get to here the NFL network commentators on NBC and CBS?!?!

Yes, you get to hear the NFL Network broadcast on NBC and CBS.....that's what is meant by simulcast....DUH!

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I have no cable. I have no basic cable.

I get channel 7, 9, 11, and 13 using a $15 antenna from wallyword, which gives me ABC, KCAL, FOX, and UPN.

Woe is me.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1

Then your home phone is bugged and internet traffic is now being monitored. The Patriot Act has anti-americans like you covered. :p

ROFL, 9/10

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Originally posted by: videogames101

ROFL, 9/10

Anyone who hates the Patriots is an anti-american nazi commie terrorist sympathizer who kills kittens for fun :p

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Oiprocs

I get channel 7, 9, 11, and 13 using a $15 antenna from wallyword, which gives me ABC, KCAL, FOX, and UPN.

Woe is me.

A bar is in your future on saturday night.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Oiprocs

Woe is me.

A bar is in your future on saturday night.

Or Sopcast.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
The ball isn't round. :D

Yeah, great, the game will be televised for everyone to see the Patriots annihilate the Giants. Whoo!

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: videogames101

ROFL, 9/10

Anyone who hates the Patriots is an anti-american nazi commie terrorist sympathizer who kills kittens for fun :p
I guess I like killing kittens for fun then. Although I must say, watching Brady is always a good thing even though I can't stand the Patriots. ;)

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of an NFL game since the inaugural Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC televised the meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.

"We're happy to accommodate the NFL's request for a joint national simulcast of this potentially historic game to make it available to the widest possible audience," said Dick Ebersol, NBC Universal's chairman for sports and Olympics.

NBC was scheduled to air "Dateline NBC" and a repeat of "Law & Order: SVU" during the time slot. CBS was set to broadcast the movie "Good Night, and Good Luck" and "48 Hours: Mysteries."

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
wow. i didn't think it was possible, but our country as a whole is now so shallow that a simulcast of a silly game makes headlines. apparently 2 senators actually sent a letter to the league commissioner threatening an anti-trust exemption just so the league will allow such a thing.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Doesn't everyone get CBS AND NBC? Either OTA, Cable, or Satellite. Why would they have it broadcast on both national channels?

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: indamixx99
Doesn't everyone get CBS AND NBC? Either OTA, Cable, or Satellite. Why would they have it broadcast on both national channels?

Money

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: jhu
wow. i didn't think it was possible, but our country as a whole is now so shallow that a simulcast of a silly game makes headlines. apparently 2 senators actually sent a letter to the league commissioner threatening an anti-trust exemption just so the league will allow such a thing.

You are a wee bit confused.

The NFL has anti-trust exemptions. The Feds give the pro sports leagues a lot of slack when it comes to anti-comptetitive behavior.

The two Senators said they would look into reconsider having these exemptions.

The NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL all need their exemptions to continue to exist in the forms they do today. Without them theyd be drug under by Govt and private party lawsuits for abusing their monopolies.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The jaguars are the only team that have a chance at beating the pats.

I am looking forward to colts/pats/jags playing each other, the NFC sucks.

Cowboys have a shot at the jags but that is it.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Judgement

Why does it sound like you are stating an opinion as if its a fact.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: akshatp

Why does it sound like you are stating an opinion as if its a fact.