First called B.1.1.529, was named the Omicron variant of Covid-19

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
We've already seen your medical knowledge and logic. Go back to the kid's table, and shut the fuck up.

The man is a walking, talking source of disinformation. He's the epitiome of the worst combination of ignorance and willingness to making shit up.

Trump would appoint him to the SC if he could.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
"The South African doctor who first sounded the alarm over the omicron variant of the coronavirus said the virus has, so far, led to only mild COVID-19 symptoms. "link

Jesus Christ, a single doctor seeing a few patients does not have that information. Originally that was the information we had for the alpha and delta variants as well.

The more healthy people move around the more and are infected at a larger rate, it takes months to see the results spread in a whole society you utter nitwit.

I mean... holy fucking christ you are dumb.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
"The South African doctor who first sounded the alarm over the omicron variant of the coronavirus said the virus has, so far, led to only mild COVID-19 symptoms. "link
Yay!

But wait - what’s this: “said the virus has, so far, led to”

it’s a little early to know what omicron will do. It’ll likely take the better part of 2-4 weeks to get enough statistical evidence to accurately say how transmissible it is, what kind of disease it causes, and how well current vaccines protect against it.

Reactions: Ajay

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Yay!

But wait - what’s this: “said the virus has, so far, led to”

it’s a little early to know what omicron will do. It’ll likely take the better part of 2-4 weeks to get enough statistical evidence to accurately say how transmissible it is, what kind of disease it causes, and how well current vaccines protect against it.
It been around for a while. It is just our detection sucks to notice it until we specifically test for it. If it was really bad, we would be seeing large spikes everywhere by nowand it haven't happened yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This variant is not known to be either more transmittable and nor less lethal.

Why would you state that? What is WRONG with you?

There have been plenty of early reports that it appears to be more transmissible. In particular that it is more likely, than earlier variants, to reinfect people previously-infected-and-recovered. Which may be why case numbers are growing very rapidly in South Africa (though so far it's only been a couple of days since the variant was identified, the next week or two will presumably be critical, but for those couple of days the growth of case numbers looks alarming).

It seems to be a common fallacy to believe that variants will somehow 'naturally' tend to become less-dangerous as they become more transmissible, but what I keep reading is that that isn't necessarily the case at all. That's the most dubious part of their statement.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Jesus Christ, a single doctor seeing a few patients does not have that information. Originally that was the information we had for the alpha and delta variants as well.

The more healthy people move around the more and are infected at a larger rate, it takes months to see the results spread in a whole society you utter nitwit.

I mean... holy fucking christ you are dumb.

Yeah, that one medic/official in SA did say that, but it's also been pointed out that those infected in SA with the new variant have been disproportionately younger people, so you can't say what will happen when it starts to reach more vulnerable parts of populations.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
People who refuse to take the vaccine are like people who refuse to wear a condom and rely on their pull out skill. I look at them and say, "STDs don't give a shit about your superb pull out game".
Pull out game? They keep going and say fuck you. Haven't you seen the assholes who spit on people and rip off their masks?

Last edited:

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
There have been plenty of early reports that it appears to be more transmissible. In particular that it is more likely, than earlier variants, to reinfect people previously-infected-and-recovered. Which may be why case numbers are growing very rapidly in South Africa (though so far it's only been a couple of days since the variant was identified, the next week or two will presumably be critical, but for those couple of days the growth of case numbers looks alarming).

It seems to be a common fallacy to believe that variants will somehow 'naturally' tend to become less-dangerous as they become more transmissible, but what I keep reading is that that isn't necessarily the case at all. That's the most dubious part of their statement.

Early reports are doctors seeing patients and going off of what their patients tell them, it's valuable when collected but there are tens of thousands of them and they need to be viewed as a whole to see a trend. This has not been done yet (as it is much too early to do so) but when that has been done we'll know more.

I do this for a living.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Early reports are doctors seeing patients and going off of what their patients tell them, it's valuable when collected but there are tens of thousands of them and they need to be viewed as a whole to see a trend. This has not been done yet (as it is much too early to do so) but when that has been done we'll know more.

I do this for a living.
Oh come on, you know the conservatives will start calling all these doctor's and such liars, as more information comes available and they can get a more accurate assessment, and it's different than what they are saying now.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I do this for a living.

Well, the daily infection numbers from SA seem to strongly imply it's more transmissible. The graph is looking almost vertical. I have no idea as to the severity of it, but I just think those who are saying it will be milder may be engaging in wishful thinking, especially given that apparently hospitalisation numbers are also increasing there.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Well, the daily infection numbers from SA seem to strongly imply it's more transmissible. The graph is looking almost vertical. I have no idea as to the severity of it, but I just think those who are saying it will be milder may be engaging in wishful thinking, especially given that apparently hospitalisation numbers are also increasing there.

Yes, when a previously unknown strain or virus is detected and then tested for that happens. The Alpha (original) variant had an even steeper graph, it was basically a straight line up since so very many cases were detected after testing for it started.

If you just started testing for HIV the graph would be a straight line as well, in fact the more contagious, the more gradual the line would be given how graphs work.

I'm not trying to do anything but present my knowledge here, I know you're a smart one but in this case... I kinda think you didn't think this through.

I'm also not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that we don't know yet. In two to three months we'll know a lot more, AFAIK the identification points to a mutation that doesn't affect spread at all. In fact, it's a WEIRD mutation that shouldn't have survived at all. There would have to be at least ten mutations to get there.

Last edited:

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Oh come on, you know the conservatives will start calling all these doctor's and such liars, as more information comes available and they can get a more accurate assessment, and it's different than what they are saying now.

Would you prefer me to lie or to shut up? Either way, ain't gonna happen.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yes, when a previously unknown strain or virus is detected and then tested for that happens. The Alpha (original) variant had an even steeper graph, it was basically a straight line up since so very many cases were detected after testing for it started.

If you just started testing for HIV the graph would be a straight line as well, in fact the more contagious, the more gradual the line would be given how graphs work.

Well, maybe, I think I get what you are saying, but I'm not talking about testing for omicron specifically (at least I think I'm not), I'm talking about total COVID case numbers (of whatever strain) in South Africa. As Daily covid case numbers seem to be shooting upwards, contemporaneously with the detection of omicron, I don't see what else would cause that other than Omicron being more infectious than Delta.

I'm not trying to do anything but present my knowledge here, I know you're a smart one but in this case... I kinda think you didn't think this through.

I'm also not saying that you are wrong, I'm saying that we don't know yet. In two to three months we'll know a lot more, AFAIK the identification points to a mutation that doesn't affect spread at all. In fact, it's a WEIRD mutation that shouldn't have survived at all. There would have to be at least ten mutations to get there.

I think that "we don't know yet" is a good motto for this entire pandemic. But I don't see what's wrong with my reasoning above, based on the few days data we have since Omicron was identified. It still seems to me the evidence is that it's even more infectious than Delta - but clearly it's too early to be able to say if it's as severe, less severe, or worse. It feels rather anxiety-inducing waiting for that crucial aspect to become clear.

Your final point intrigues me, but is well beyond anything I understand about this stuff.

MichaelMay

Jun 6, 2021
Well, maybe, I think I get what you are saying, but I'm not talking about testing for omicron specifically (at least I think I'm not), I'm talking about total COVID case numbers (of whatever strain) in South Africa. As Daily covid case numbers seem to be shooting upwards, contemporaneously with the detection of omicron, I don't see what else would cause that other than Omicron being more infectious than Delta.

I think that "we don't know yet" is a good motto for this entire pandemic. But I don't see what's wrong with my reasoning above, based on the few days data we have since Omicron was identified. It still seems to me the evidence is that it's even more infectious than Delta - but clearly it's too early to be able to say if it's as severe, less severe, or worse. It feels rather anxiety-inducing waiting for that crucial aspect to become clear.

Your final point intrigues me, but is well beyond anything I understand about this stuff.

I think we've exhausted the conversation on all points besides the last one. This mutation is not like the other mutations, the spike proteins in this variant are several mutations away from any other known variant, but there is an explanation for that. It's spread within a local population and mutated within that population alone for some time until it got to this point.

It's just weird to me that we didn't know about it and it seems to me that SA was hiding a variant but then again if it's in the tribal areas they probably didn't even have access for testing before now.

SA is complicated as I'm sure you know. Especially when it comes to us barging in and providing medicine, it's not like it's the first time entire populations have gone into hiding from both SA and foreign biologists there to check up on things. I can't blame them either, they really DO have a history of being fucked by us.

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Would you prefer me to lie or to shut up? Either way, ain't gonna happen.
Sorry, my comment wasn't directed at you giving true facts. I have no issues with that, and understand as more information is known, the assessment will change, that how science works. I should have used the /s tag for the first part. I was just pointing out how the conservatives will react. They think nothing can change once something is said, as more information is known as they don't believe in science. And when something does change, they just continue on the same course and lie about it and/or accuse others of lying.

Last edited:

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
More transmittable, less deadly is actually a good thing. If Covid becomes less deadly and spreads more seasonally, it will really be another flu.

Did you ever learn how viruses develop variants and what it means?

Variants develop more often over time if a virus is more transmissable.

For example AIDS only has 2 variants over 40+ years.

COVID on the other hand has had 8+ variants because its more transmissable.

If it is more transmissable and vaccines don't work.. that means the amount of people who can be carriers where the virus can mutate again into another variant is the entire population vs just the unvaccinated.

Compared to the R0 of flu which is 1.. R0 of covid is 3. R0 of delta covid is 7 and the R0 of omicron by all accounts is even higher.

Just another flu you say.. quite an idiotic statement.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Right now 1200 people dying a day and we appear to be entering a second surge due to Thanksgiving. Keep in mind a normal flu season kills 10,000-20,000 people.

This is nothing like the flu and I fear this winter will be quite harsh. People are going back to being way to lax. Flying, throwing parties, it's not looking good.

• Haha
Reactions: weblooker2021

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Right now 1200 people dying a day and we appear to be entering a second surge due to Thanksgiving. Keep in mind a normal flu season kills 10,000-20,000 people.

This is nothing like the flu and I fear this winter will be quite harsh. People are going back to being way to lax. Flying, throwing parties, it's not looking good.
So you want everyone to stay at home, with their door locked? Welcome to the old normal, most people are doe with Covid and majority of us is willing to take the risk that we will get sick and even die.

• Haha

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Did you ever learn how viruses develop variants and what it means?

Variants develop more often over time if a virus is more transmissable.

For example AIDS only has 2 variants over 40+ years.

COVID on the other hand has had 8+ variants because its more transmissable.

If it is more transmissable and vaccines don't work.. that means the amount of people who can be carriers where the virus can mutate again into another variant is the entire population vs just the unvaccinated.

Compared to the R0 of flu which is 1.. R0 of covid is 3. R0 of delta covid is 7 and the R0 of omicron by all accounts is even higher.

Just another flu you say.. quite an idiotic statement.
"
U.S. health officials said Sunday that while the omicron variant of the coronavirus is rapidly spreading throughout the country, early indications suggest it may be less dangerous than delta, which continues to drive a surge of hospitalizations."
link

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
"
U.S. health officials said Sunday that while the omicron variant of the coronavirus is rapidly spreading throughout the country, early indications suggest it may be less dangerous than delta, which continues to drive a surge of hospitalizations."
link

Omicron variant happened where people aren't vaccinated and it seems the older vaccines aren't as effective so it may actually be feasable that we get a more deadly variant before the vaccines get here..

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
So you want everyone to stay at home, with their door locked? Welcome to the old normal, most people are doe with Covid and majority of us is willing to take the risk that we will get sick and even die.
The new normal should be staying at home until we either have herd immunity or a cheap reliable treatment. So yes. Right now if you break your leg or have a heart attack you may not be able to find a hospital bed in certain states and may die. The new normal of hospitals being overstretched by dumbass covid patients is not sustainable and I'm tired of paying for those guys.

Saying I'm willing to take the risk of dying from covid shows arrogance, stupidity, a complete lack of understanding that societal resources are both limited and shared, and a complete inability to truly asses risk. Call me an asshole but that's the truth. I work in hospitals and see these 30-40 year olds who say the same thing, get sick and tie up resources for 60 days because we're trying to save their dumbasses because they're "young and have so much to live for".