First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

The first ?anti-stab? knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: ?It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can?t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.?

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with ?very favourable? results by the Home Office?s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t...ime/article6501720.ece

What next? Safety scissors like we had in grade school???

How about a manditory helmet law... for WALKING??

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I wonder if they'll come up with an anti-bludgeoning device...

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can?t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.?

So you can slice vegetables but you can't slice a jugular vein with it?

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Can't inflict a fatal wound with a knife ... uhm, that's like saying an idiot isn't stupid. Sharp edges can produce a fatal wound easier than accidentally stabbing someone.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
its almost anti stab (depending on how much force you stab with i spose) but as long as its sharp it is still lethal.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
wow. whats the point of this..or lack of one?

If someone is determined to kill you this is not going to stop them.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
"has been tested with very favorable results" ... what, the test subjects were only bludgeoned instead of killed?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
lol. i don't get it...as others have said, you can still slice/slash with it and with enough force, you can stab someone with it, it will just make the wound larger and more painful, most likely.
and why are they selling it? shouldn't they be giving these things away to people and taking their "real, life threatening" knives?

daishi5

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2005
Wow, I didn't expect it to get this far down the slippery slope.

I just don't get this though process.

1. Ban A because A causes too much crime.

2. We banned A, and crime has risen even further.

3. Ban B, because now they are using B.

4. We banned B, and crime has increased even more.

5. We have run out of things we can outright ban, so now we need to remove all the dangerous parts, if we keep doing enough of this it has to start working eventually.

I really hope and pray that they are doing this because of politics, and that their leaders are really not this stupid.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
lol. i don't get it...as others have said, you can still slice/slash with it and with enough force, you can stab someone with it, it will just make the wound larger and more painful, most likely.
and why are they selling it? shouldn't they be giving these things away to people and taking their "real, life threatening" knives?

don't gived them ideas.

this is what is comeing to the US soon. just give it time..

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Close to 100 dollars for a crappy knife.

Nothing is anti-stab. Given enough force, anything can be stab-capable. When you take away the ability to stab from normal strength citizens, only superhumanly strong outlaws will be able to stab.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Now they just need to make normal knives illegal. Surely that will solve the problem! I mean, there's no way anyone would have a normal knife once they are banned, right?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
Close to 100 dollars for a crappy knife.

Nothing is anti-stab. Given enough force, anything can be stab-capable. When you take away the ability to stab from normal strength citizens, only superhumanly strong outlaws will be able to stab.

And we're not afraid to use swords.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: daishi5
Wow, I didn't expect it to get this far down the slippery slope.

I just don't get this though process.

1. Ban A because A causes too much crime.

2. We banned A, and crime has risen even further.

3. Ban B, because now they are using B.

4. We banned B, and crime has increased even more.

5. We have run out of things we can outright ban, so now we need to remove all the dangerous parts, if we keep doing enough of this it has to start working eventually.

I really hope and pray that they are doing this because of politics, and that their leaders are really not this stupid.

And people laugh at slippery slope arguments.

Folks, there is a slippery slope, the the free world is going down it head first.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
wow. whats the point of this..or lack of one?

If someone is determined to kill you this is not going to stop them.

I see what you did there

Pegun

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
I think we should make everything legal and let Darwin sort it out.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
the fact that doctors or anyone for that matter advocated banning knives is repulsive. I wish someone would....