First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sonambulo
I guess I don't really see the problem here. Regular knives are still on sale, correct? No one in the government is stepping in and banning regular knives?

So a single entrepreneur saw a market for knives that won't allow you to stab people, designed them and manufactured them for sale alongside regular knives. I don't really see what the problem is here.

It's not that big a deal, any more than safety scissors being sold in the United States. People are turning this thread into an anti-British government thread, but this is just one product and has nothing to do with their laws.

Obviously the knife won't deter criminals intent on stabbing people (obviously they can just buy more dangerous weapons), but it might have some effect on reducing fatalities in heat-of-the-moment domestic disputes involving kitchen knives.

This thread (At least direction it's going in) would be better suited for P&N.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
im surprised they havent banned windows since thats where robbers might enter your house

TestedAcorn

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2007
Why would someone that wants to stab someone purchase an anti-stab knife? I don't see how this is creating less crime involving stabbing considering the criminal would have to BUY an ANTI STAB knife.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Is this so someone can't run to the kitchen and get their kitchen knife in case there is a home invasion? Must have been invented by criminals.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Give the guy a break, I applaud him for coming up with a decent business idea and a mind to help people, even though I believe that is merely being used as a sales pitch.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
How stupid. Of course you can still stab someone with that knife. It'll just take a bit more force. You can stab someone with a keyboard if it's strong enough and the proper amount of force is applied. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts a strong man can stab with that knife and still inflict fatal wounds.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: OCguy
UK is a joke

Not so much a joke when you realize that what happens there usually happens here sooner or later.

As long as the makeup of the SCOTUS stays 4-4 with a conservative-leaning swing, we dont have to worry.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: TestedAcorn
Why would someone that wants to stab someone purchase an anti-stab knife? I don't see how this is creating less crime involving stabbing considering the criminal would have to BUY an ANTI STAB knife.

They're passing a law requiring all criminals who intend on stabbing someone to buy an Anti-Stab knife.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
im surprised they havent banned windows since thats where robbers might enter your house

They wouldn't ban windows. GB doesn't like protecting her citizens. Instead, they would mandate that ladders be placed underneath them and that windows not be locked.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Originally posted by: TestedAcorn

They're passing a law requiring all criminals who intend on stabbing someone to buy an Anti-Stab knife.

I think the real point (haha) is that they want to eventually have most knives in the country replaced with anti-stab knives, so when a criminal steals a knife from someone's house, it'll be an anti-stab one. I think that's the basic idea behind gun control laws too - not to stop criminals from buying certain guns, but to reduce their numbers in peoples' homes so they are less likely to be stolen and when they are, they aren't as dangerous.

I think it's BS but that's what I think the idea is behind it.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
3 minutes with a butter knife & a file, and you have a very sharp, pointy knife. Very few people are going to make a homemade gun. This legislation is just retarded.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza
3 minutes with a butter knife & a file, and you have a very sharp, pointy knife. Very few people are going to make a homemade gun. This legislation is just retarded.

A homemade gun is extremely easy to make. Assuming guns became very difficult to get, and I was intent on crime, I'd make a homemade gun for extra fire power. Probably a 4 shooter.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Patt
"has been tested with very favorable results" ... what, the test subjects were only bludgeoned instead of killed?

I'm guessing they cut vegetables as well as any other kitchen knife yet they don't work so well for stabbing on test dummies.