First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah, let's ban knives since they have no use outside of being a weapon but leave alcohol and tabacco perfectly legal.

anyway, I doubt it will happen. Her Majesty will not be amused if her servents need to cut her bread with a blunt knife.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: lxskllr
That's the slippery slope part. Some jackass in government will see that, and think it's a great idea. Of course you'll still be able to find normal knives, but perhaps only used, or maybe black market.

I'm still looking for the part in the article where the government is calling for the ban on regular knives.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: sonambulo
Originally posted by: lxskllr
That's the slippery slope part. Some jackass in government will see that, and think it's a great idea. Of course you'll still be able to find normal knives, but perhaps only used, or maybe black market.

I'm still looking for the part in the article where the government is calling for the ban on regular knives.

That's not in the article, of course. It IS hinted at, though. You see, this is where knowledge of the anti-knife hysteria gripping the UK right now comes in useful.

Maybe you should look it up?

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
It's bolded in the OP.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Oh. So you mean the last part.

Some random doctors (no one knows what kind or how many or who they are) advocated banning traditional knives in a documentary. So that means...the government is now going to step in and ban all knives? Is that what you're saying?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
It's bolded in the OP.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Some random doctors (no one knows what kind or how many or who they are) advocated banning traditional knives in a documentary. So that means...the government is now going to step in and ban all knives? Is that what you're saying?

Like I said, there is a HUGE hysteria over knives right now, both political and social in the UK. That part only hints at it.

Why not look it up?

edit: I sense you are being intentionally obtuse in an effort to prove... well, I have no idea what the fuck you're trying to prove.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.insight-security.co...-knife-crime-stats.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2...knife-crime-prevention

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8101032.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2...crime-prison-sentences

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...akthrough-1687212.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/n...al-knives-1604556.html

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's bolded in the OP.

It wouldn't be unprecedented. It'll start out in the cities, where only chefs can use pointed knives. They'll slowly phase those out, and push the restrictions to the country.

It's happened here in America with the assault rifle ban. Do you know what the difference is between an assault rifle and a hunting rifle? Neither do I....

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Like I said, there is a HUGE hysteria over knives right now, both political and social in the UK. That part only hints at it.

Why not look it up?
You're not presenting anything to bolster your argument. Even if I fully accept the fact that there is knife hysteria in the UK (there is) it doesn't close the gap between the act of an individual and a possible outcome down the line.

The reason I'm not looking it up is because you're the one who mentioned it in the thread's sub-header. You're the one claiming that we're sliding on the slippery slope and thus the onus rests upon your shoulders.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Why not look it up?
You're not presenting anything to bolster your argument. Even if I fully accept the fact that there is knife hysteria in the UK (there is) it doesn't close the gap between the act of an individual and a possible outcome down the line.

The reason I'm not looking it up is because you're the one who mentioned it in the thread's sub-header. You're the one claiming that we're sliding on the slippery slope and thus the onus rests upon your shoulders.

Obviously you don't know what happened last time the UK had an hysteria over weapons.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Obviously you don't know what happened last time the UK had an hysteria over weapons.

Someone invented a gun that could only be used to shoot salads?

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

LOL!!!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

That's funny :^D