Finally, I take no responsibility for what you do with the information in this guide. Overclock your hardware at your ow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
considering it died on him in short order and he bothered mentioning it, i am guessing 80 C not F. Also considering the card in question and their known problems

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
80s isn't too bad. A GeForce 7950GT does that at no load and it never seems to break.

80F - ambient temperatures

I thought you meant the card itself. My 7950GT is around 80C at no load. At full load (furmark) it runs at 130C. I'm astonished it hasn't melted in the last ~3 years.

arkcom

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2003
80s isn't too bad. A GeForce 7950GT does that at no load and it never seems to break.

80F - ambient temperatures

I thought you meant the card itself. My 7950GT is around 80C at no load. At full load (furmark) it runs at 130C. I'm astonished it hasn't melted in the last ~3 years.

:shocked:

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
GPUs seem to be much more tolerant to heat than CPUs, but man, that really is pushing it. Max I would probably be comfortable with is about 80*C load.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I should at least show a picture of that. GeForce 7950GT, Furmark

I apologize for the horrible image quality, but that's the image it saves when I hit F9. Max temp is 129C, initial temp before I even started the thing was 91C. That's the sign of good design right there - "hey let's put a crappy heatsink on Nvidia's fastest video card!"
(it was the fastest at the time)

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: taltamir
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
I'm still on the fence about RMA'ing my Asus 9600GSO "top" video card that burned out, running F@H. It was getting up to 96C, the factory stock cooler sucks, and the card offers no fan control with RivaTuner.

I never modded it, nor overclocked it (beyond what the factory OC was set to).

But was I abusing it, running F@H 24/7 for two weeks at the unfortunately elevated temps? (Antec 300 case with all fans installed, running on high).

if you did NOT overclock it YOURSELF... then you are fully entitled to a warranty replacement!
Warranty: a guarantee that if the item fails during use then it shall be replaced. And according to nvidia, using CUDA as a computation system is "normal intended use".

if asus chose to overclock it in the factory while skimping on the cooler, they are why it failed. If it was getting 96 degrees it probably had a misapplied thermal paste... and according to asus you are NOT allowed to fix that yourself (doing so voids your warranty)... so they break it and forbid you from fixing it.. RMA that sucker!

I agree; he took all precautions to make sure it had adequate cooling (there's a 120mm fan hole directly above the GPU on his case, which presumably he had blowing in), further he had all other fans installed as well. That said, I would probably RMA it before it got to this point.

Dec 30, 2004
sometimes what you get is marginal

pushing it a bit out of spec may give you an immediate idea of future reliability

if i may bore you with an example

i recently bought a HIS 4890 from NewEgg with the intention of keeping it; it performed up to spec - BUT would not work at Diamond's relatively mildly OC UNLESS you cranked the VGA cooling fan way the heck up to annoying

Still, i was going to keep it .. however, it ran too hot as a 2nd card in CF even at stock speeds [as it is supposed to do] - in either slot and i was concerned about future RMA; so i sent it back - and told NewEgg this story so they could make the decision

Well, i got all my money back, a UPS return label for free shipping
. . . . and i immediately got more HW from them
rose.gif

and someone has a cheap open box HiS 4890 that is decent but should not be in CF nor overclocked
:p

OK with that ? ... that is as gray as i get on RMAs
[not counting my hair]
:confused:

Yeah that's not very grey; if it can't run Crossfire then it needs a better cooler...
edit: most people run AC, but still, not being able to handle 7F in Crossfire is cutting the tolerances pretty close...poor manufacturing...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Originally posted by: starams5

I guess this is what makes us all different D, because the way I see it you would have to be a total jackass, king nerd, to run out and buy a replacement part without at least trying the RMA. I don't buy the righteous routine, everyone has a bone or two in their closet.

First off, I don't fry parts, so I don't worry about it much. That being said, this isn't about being righteous. This is about people costing me extra money when I buy parts. I don't like that. At all.

Secondly, what's all this about bones in closets? Who the hell cares if someone did something wrong at some point in their life. That doesn't automatically legitimize anyone committing fraud. If a murderer told you that RMAing fried parts is fraud, you might scoff, but he'd still be right (to cite an extreme example; no, I haven't murdered anyone).

starams5

May 7, 2009
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX

I guess this is what makes us all different D, because the way I see it you would have to be a total jackass, king nerd, to run out and buy a replacement part without at least trying the RMA. I don't buy the righteous routine, everyone has a bone or two in their closet.

First off, I don't fry parts, so I don't worry about it much. That being said, this isn't about being righteous. This is about people costing me extra money when I buy parts. I don't like that. At all.

Secondly, what's all this about bones in closets? Who the hell cares if someone did something wrong at some point in their life. That doesn't automatically legitimize anyone committing fraud. If a murderer told you that RMAing fried parts is fraud, you might scoff, but he'd still be right (to cite an extreme example; no, I haven't murdered anyone).

"This is about people costing me extra money when I buy parts." If it bothers you then stop buying parts, and stop whining.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DrMrLordX

So what do you intend to do about it?
. . . *other* than complain ?
:confused:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ricleo2
I have never lost a CPU due to overclocking but loosing a board due to corrupting the bios is not a stretch. At a certain frequency (ASUS) the bios will update the CPU profile, can't remember the the exact message and I'm not about to duplicate it either. Although I have never touched anything during this process, you are clearly warned not to and on rare occasions this CPU profile update goes south resulting in a corrupt bios.

Can a corrupt bios be repaired by flashing it?

It may depend on the motherboard and chipset, but the motherboards I've seen in the last three years use removeable PLCC chips for the BIOS. And because such is the case, there are several businesses on the web who do a business in selling pre-programmed PLCC (EEPROM) chips. One such entity is BIOSMan -- check www.BIOSMan.com [and I'd just as soon type in these brackets as go to the trouble of providing a direct link.]

When you place your on-line order, you are asked to enter printed codes on the motherboard's PLCC/BIOS chip. You are also asked to provide the motherboard make and model, and the version of the BIOS you want flashed on the new PLCC (which is, of course, downloadable from the mobo's support website.) It costs about $25 for the first pass, and BIOSMan also recycles PLCC chips, so a subsequent flash will cost less after postage for sending them the chip.

On the "Warranty" contract issue as it pertains to "honesty and integrity:" Intel may or may not provide a general statement holding them harmless from contract obligations for "over-clocking," but they also provide a "safe" range for the VCORE voltage as well as a (wider) "range of operation." The 3-year retail warranty is not just something they pull out of a hat: it's based on testing. They know the longevity of a processor at voltages within the spec range; they know the expected longevity of a processor at stock settings (around 10 years versus the warranty limit); they know the cost of processing an RMA and the cost of replacing a processor -- and they anticipate having an inventory of processors for a particular model to meet the EXPECTED number of RMA's.

So they choose the warranty limit and conditions to minimize their own cost, just as they spec the processors to be well within the expectations that so many will fail.

If I didn't lap the nickel plate off my processors to improve cooling, I wouldn't lose sleep over running the cores at faster-than-spec speed, since I stay well within the heat spec and the voltage "safe" range when I choose my over-clock settings. But given those things and therefore the high likelihood that my over-clocking will not shorten the life of the CPU significantly within that warranty-period, I'd just as soon do the cooling-mod of lapping off the processor information and nickel (or zinc?) plate.

If I didn't lap the processor, but followed these other self-imposed limits of my over-clocking, and I HAD to RMA a core -- I wouldn't run to a priest and confess it (supposing I were still following the persuasion of my upbringing).

The fact of the matter is this: Intel is one of only two dominant firms in its particular market -- more specifically, it participates in a "duopoly" situation. So it reaps excess profits in that market as the biggest of the two competitors. It can afford to differentiate prices for increased profit (considerably over what a perfectly competitive market would allow.) It "sees" a downwardly sloping demand curve, as opposed to the horizontal demand that potato farmers "see."

Paradoxically, it would plow some of those excess profits back into research and development and customer support -- but mostly as it sees fit, to maintain its dominance in the marketplace.

So I don't see this regime of "limited over-clocking" as some form of theft. Chances are, if you are careful as AigoMorla and others here suggest, you'll never NEED to RMA the processor -- anyway . . . .

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeShunt
An enthusiast understands the job is dirty when he takes it. Ive RMA'd boards and some were due to overclocking, most not. But I have never had an RMA rejected for any reason.

lol same here, I've RMA'd stuff that I'd blatently screwed up myself and its always been replaced. they dont have th etime to test everything.

My uncle's laptop broke down a couple of weeks ago and it's out of warranty. He called HP and they said it would cost $300.00 just to look at it.....do you think HP feels any guilt?

Since it was out of warranty, why, exactly, should HP feel guilty? (Assumedly you bought with a credit card, so you called up your CC vendor, took advantage of their doubling of the manufacturer's warranty, and your uncle's laptop got fixed via the CC warranty doubling.)

And yes, if you broke something, you have no right to RMA it. That's pathetic.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Originally posted by: dclive
Originally posted by: MikeShunt
An enthusiast understands the job is dirty when he takes it. Ive RMA'd boards and some were due to overclocking, most not. But I have never had an RMA rejected for any reason.

lol same here, I've RMA'd stuff that I'd blatently screwed up myself and its always been replaced. they dont have th etime to test everything.

My uncle's laptop broke down a couple of weeks ago and it's out of warranty. He called HP and they said it would cost $300.00 just to look at it.....do you think HP feels any guilt?

Since it was out of warranty, why, exactly, should HP feel guilty? (Assumedly you bought with a credit card, so you called up your CC vendor, took advantage of their doubling of the manufacturer's warranty, and your uncle's laptop got fixed via the CC warranty doubling.)

I'll do what I want, when I want and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it....you say my comment was pathetic, I say your comment was gay.

This type of personal attack is not allowed here. Clean up your act, or you will get a vacation

Markfw900
Anandtech Moderator

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I'll do what I want, when I want and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it....you say my comment was pathetic, I say your comment was gay.

You have to realize that there is something called "morals"
- the financial crash was related directly to lack of them

what one does affects others .. actually everyone; in higher prices overall

rose.gif

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003

The other poster answered much more kindly than I would have. Stop stealing from hardworking people who don't have money to spare. If you break something, man up, take responsibility for it, and pay for it yourself - don't pass that cost along to someone else who didn't do anything wrong, and don't make them pay for your mistakes.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003

You have to realize that there is something called "morals"
- the financial crash was related directly to lack of them

what one does affects others .. actually everyone; in higher prices overall

rose.gif

Agreed - very well said. Greed ruins us all.

starams5

May 7, 2009
@apoppin
I can respect what you're saying, but some of the above act like their such angels, like they never used a serial number that didn't belong to them, watched a movie they shouldn't have watched or played a video game they shouldn't have played. These are the same people that have a problem with someone RMAing a product that is in question......Hypocrites.

starams5

May 7, 2009

The other poster answered much more kindly than I would have. Stop stealing from hardworking people who don't have money to spare. If you break something, man up, take responsibility for it, and pay for it yourself - don't pass that cost along to someone else who didn't do anything wrong, and don't make them pay for your mistakes.

"The other poster answered much more kindly than I would have." If you want to let it rip then let it rip, you think you're crying now.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
@apoppin
I can respect what you're saying, but some of the above act like their such angels, like they never used a serial number that didn't belong to them, watched a movie they shouldn't have watched or played a video game they shouldn't have played. These are the same people that have a problem with someone RMAing a product that is in question......Hypocrites.

of course; i pointed to the reality of the situation by asking what can be done about it

However, once you start down a path of *entitlement* .. you become like Bernie Madoff and it gets easier and easier to ignore what is "right" and to justify oneself .. 'till it may be too late

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003

"The other poster answered much more kindly than I would have." If you want to let it rip then let it rip, you think you're crying now.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

starams5

May 7, 2009

To be honest with you, I think enough has been said already. We may not all agree but that's life......Peace.

dclive

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003

To be honest with you, I think enough has been said already. We may not all agree but that's life......Peace.

I don't need others to agree to realize that what you've admitted to is wrong. You have hurt others - they'll now get hit with higher prices and poorer service, and people like you are the reason it's now become so difficult to return things - you're why there's a 15% fee to return items at some stores, and why some stores have stopped the practice altogether (or made it almost impossibly difficult).

Yes, your bad actions impact me, whether you like to think so or not.

Dec 30, 2004
@apoppin

You know what, that's a great idea. I have changed my mind and agree with you.

Lets point out all the flaws in everyone else, to justify the evil we do in our own lives.
You are responsible for you, whether your like it or not. Go get a job if you can't pay for it. I built my first computer after working at McD for 2 weeks.

I vote to make the mentioning of RMA'ing something you fried an instantly-perma-IP-bannable offense. The childishness of this is just ridiculous. This is all in self preservation people-- self regulate like the games industry did with the ESRB. I, for one, like having cheap motherboards and CPUs to upgrade every year to.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
@apoppin

You know what, that's a great idea. I have changed my mind and agree with you.

Lets point out all the flaws in everyone else, to justify the evil we do in our own lives.
You are responsible for you, whether your like it or not. Go get a job if you can't pay for it. I built my first computer after working at McD for 2 weeks.

I vote to make the mentioning of RMA'ing something you fried an instantly-perma-IP-bannable offense. The childishness of this is just ridiculous. This is all in self preservation people-- self regulate like the games industry did with the ESRB. I, for one, like having cheap motherboards and CPUs to upgrade every year to.

Well, well, well if it Ronald McDonald himself. I don't really care how many burgers you flipped or what you bought. "Lets point out all the flaws in everyone else" The truth is, you are nothing but a fake.

starams5

May 7, 2009

I don't need others to agree to realize that what you've admitted to is wrong. You have hurt others - they'll now get hit with higher prices and poorer service, and people like you are the reason it's now become so difficult to return things - you're why there's a 15% fee to return items at some stores, and why some stores have stopped the practice altogether (or made it almost impossibly difficult).

Yes, your bad actions impact me, whether you like to think so or not.

You are a complete idiot if you think I admitted anything, fool!

This type of personal attack is not allowed here. Clean up your act, or you will get a vacation

Markfw900
Anandtech Moderator