FF XIV ONLINE - Anyone playing?

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I haven't had a chance to get on yet for the early release, and I'll probably miss out this round. :(

I've heard that all of the servers are full though. >.<

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm probably going to end up missing the open beta because my PC is still down for the rebuild. :\

Is there any desire to start a guild/linkshell/whatever-you-call-it for Anandtech? I don't think we've ever really successfully done anything like that, but other tech forums (e.g. Ars) do it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I'm playing on Leviathan and am currently level 15 as a CNJ. Been taking my time and reading all the text and just really been enjoying the ride so far. Enjoying the story as well (I skipped most text during phase 3 so that I could play "for real" when open beta started). The voice acting is pretty bad though lol.

Going to start working on a crafting skill(s) soon, probably mining and goldsmithing.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Taking your time? LOL. It just started today didn't it?? I've only played about an hour and at lvl 2 lol

and other than the intro movie and prologue, I've not heard any voice acting..

Seen some bugs that weren't there before too..

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm guessing - since the level cap is 20 for this part of the phase - that levels are simply capped for anyone beyond that?

They're definitely going to need to add more servers.

tedrodai

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2006
I finally figured out how to fix my black screen on the launcher which allowed me to install the game. After doing some more reading, it seems that the launcher uses Microsoft IE, and so IE settings can mess it up. Well I'd had trouble with IE 10 for months on both my PC and my wife's to the point where we'd both switched to Firefox. After messing around with the settings for another hour with no luck, I uninstalled IE 10 (which automatically configures IE 9). Voilà, ffxiv launcher works.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
I haven't had a chance to get on yet for the early release, and I'll probably miss out this round. :(

I've heard that all of the servers are full though. >.<

I'm guessing - since the level cap is 20 for this part of the phase - that levels are simply capped for anyone beyond that?

They're definitely going to need to add more servers.

I'm guessing they were artificially capping the servers, to try and spread the population around. Late that night, the caps either went away, or were raised, because most had room available again to create characters.

Before that, there were 0 US servers that allowed characters to be created. Only maybe 4 or 5Euro servers.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Taking your time? LOL. It just started today didn't it?? I've only played about an hour and at lvl 2 lol

and other than the intro movie and prologue, I've not heard any voice acting..

Seen some bugs that weren't there before too..

Yeah, I'm taking my time. If I wasn't I would be 20 on probably 2 classes already and have a craft or two mid way up as well :D

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
my opinion is on like page 8 or 9 but I'll just put it at the end as well, most disappointing MMO ever. Worst combat in an MMO. Good presentation but that's about it.

Manage your expectations.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't see the combat being much different than all the other MMO's I've tried so not sure how it's "the worst" but whatever. I find it to be...pretty much standard, nothing more, nothing less. I personally wish it was group/party turn based like an actual JRPG. Would actually put some tactics into it. Instead, again, it's like 99% of the other MMO's out there and just a button masher based on your role.

Are they resetting chars after this beta?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah, I'm taking my time. If I wasn't I would be 20 on probably 2 classes already and have a craft or two mid way up as well :D

I leveled all the crafting classes to around 9~ ish in Uldah. Weaver is by far the most most useful class there... all the gathering classes use the gear in lower levels, and so do the mages. I wish goldsmithing is more useful than making rings early on. Alchemist I wish was a bit more useful... can't even make consumables (potions) until like lvl 10 or 15.

Been bumming around, waiting for my friend so we can progress in the main game together. But so far the game's still really fun. I noticed they added a few tweaks here and there, like mobs showing their cones of attacks for specials is really nice.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I finally figured out how to fix my black screen on the launcher which allowed me to install the game. After doing some more reading, it seems that the launcher uses Microsoft IE, and so IE settings can mess it up. Well I'd had trouble with IE 10 for months on both my PC and my wife's to the point where we'd both switched to Firefox. After messing around with the settings for another hour with no luck, I uninstalled IE 10 (which automatically configures IE 9). Voilà, ffxiv launcher works.

Or you could of just deleted the FFXIV folder(s) in My Documents/Games.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
my opinion is on like page 8 or 9 but I'll just put it at the end as well, most disappointing MMO ever. Worst combat in an MMO. Good presentation but that's about it.

Manage your expectations.

Trust me, there are PLENTY of mmo's with worse combat.

I don't see the combat being much different than all the other MMO's I've tried so not sure how it's "the worst" but whatever. I find it to be...pretty much standard, nothing more, nothing less. I personally wish it was group/party turn based like an actual JRPG. Would actually put some tactics into it. Instead, again, it's like 99% of the other MMO's out there and just a button masher based on your role.

I don't know if a mmo that forced you to group from level 1, every step of the way, would be very profitable.

I suppose they could make it so all your party members are npc's...or let you create all of them. There have been a few thats tried that, in some shape or other. EQ 1 with it's hired mercenaries, guild wars 1, to name a couple.

There was also an mmo called Atlantica Online, f2p. Not sure if its still around anymore. It definately was different in most mmo's, in that you formed your own party. You start with 1 character, and then start unlocking slots. You can then hire mercenaries to go around with you. By the time you're done, you have 12 people your controlling at the same time. Combat was turn based.

I rather enjoyed that game. It did have 140 + levels though. By the time I hit 95, it had gotten insanely grindy, so I eventually quit playing.

Are they resetting chars after this beta?

Pretty sure, unless something changes, you will keep your current characters through open access, and launch.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
They definitely did not prepare for this, servers are very congested and many people have login problems, they needed to run a 27/7 stress test before this

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
The demo/beta is f'd for most people now, you get kicked off the server and you'll never be able to get back on, it's like it never times your guy out and thinks you are still playing even hours later. Been like that for 9 hours for me, some people claim it happened the first day and are still unable to log in..

Makes you wonder do I really want to pay for this in the future.. Yes it's beta, but no communication on this very wide spread issue is concerning.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I probably don't understand the point of the combat in this game, just standing there waiting for a global cooldown seems jaw-droppingly boring. I never enjoyed MMO combat though so I guess it's to be expected. TERA and to a somewhat lesser extent Guild Wars 2 are the only MMO's I've played that I enjoy the combat...

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
So, after this we will still have to start over once the head-start begins, right? These characters aren't going to transfer over from open beta are they?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
So, after this we will still have to start over once the head-start begins, right? These characters aren't going to transfer over from open beta are they?

Unless they find a major bug that screws things up (like economy exploit) then no, we get to keep our open beta characters. That is why so many are playing the game serious now. Chances are they aren't going to find anything, the only problems they have been having seems to be due to demand and the problems that has been causing with odd errors with people being able to not log in and such.

There hasn't been any major game bugs found so far from what I've read so far either.

Can't wait till next weekend when head start starts so I can level beyond 20 with my CNJ since I hit 20 with her and 15 on GLD so I can do the WHM job quest when I hit 30 on CNJ. Working on mining atm now.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Unless they find a major bug that screws things up (like economy exploit) then no, we get to keep our open beta characters. That is why so many are playing the game serious now. Chances are they aren't going to find anything, the only problems they have been having seems to be due to demand and the problems that has been causing with odd errors with people being able to not log in and such.

There hasn't been any major game bugs found so far from what I've read so far either.

Can't wait till next weekend when head start starts so I can level beyond 20 with my CNJ since I hit 20 with her and 15 on GLD so I can do the WHM job quest when I hit 30 on CNJ. Working on mining atm now.

Gotcha...ok. Working on my Arcanist now; I'm pretty excited to do Summoner eventually!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ahh..that's why I was asking earlier. I didn't want to get too involved in it if it was just going to reset again in a few days. Since I went with same character as before, I'm doing the exact same things. I really didn't feel like doing them a 3rd time :)

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
I got the error 3012 like thousands of others so i did not have a chance to get anything done other than getting my first quests done and heading out of town before i got kicked out