FF XIV ONLINE - Anyone playing?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
The best mmo's will have dungeons or quests and crafting that require teamwork to complete even at early levels, creating a sense of community. I think this game misses the mark. Especially at the lower levels.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
FATEs are in essence what you're saying is missing, and those are available at level 1. It doesn't really require much planning or interaction between players to drive a communal formation, per se, but it is a stepping stone to get players to understand that they'll need others to do the bigger things in the game.

You may not think it to be interaction, in the traditional sense, but it is, whether those doing it realize it or not. It's passively forced grouping.

Teamwork in your traditional definition doesn't start until 20ish, but it is there. It doesn't take very long to get to 20 on a single class. I'm not at all opposed to having to learn the ropes of your class or the game mechanics prior to jumping into group play. In comparison to FFXI, you solo'd to level 10 on most classes then looked for a party. In contrast, it took about as long to get to level 10 in FFXI as it does to get to level 20 in FFXIV (for a first time play through; I'm not talking about people with gear and money to fly through stuff). So it's about the same to me. The scaling of time will be smaller though in FFXIV:ARR; which is going to be welcomed by the majority of the community.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
FATEs are in essence what you're saying is missing, and those are available at level 1. It doesn't really require much planning or interaction between players to drive a communal formation, per se, but it is a stepping stone to get players to understand that they'll need others to do the bigger things in the game.

You may not think it to be interaction, in the traditional sense, but it is, whether those doing it realize it or not. It's passively forced grouping.

Aye. I actually ran into one FATE when I was questing on my ranger, and there were about 5 people there trying to kill a boss and adds. It was cool to see how people would try to pull mobs off you (there were no tanks/healers there) whenever your HP was low, and allow you some chance to get cured or passively heal up a bit. Surprisingly nobody died, though it took us about 6-7 minutes to kite the thing to death while fending off raptor adds and more than a few people got critically low on hp at some point.

It was a good feeling of teamwork afterwards for sure.

and I believe the high end crafting does need dungeon mats. You don't want your low lvl skilling up to be dependent on farmed mats that's only findable in a group... even final fantasy lets you farm solo if you run out of say... beehive chips or cockatrice meat.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
The new Everquest gets revealed today.

For me, my fall/winter is between those two titles. I will see if i like what i see in a few hours with EQ:N

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
The new Everquest gets revealed today.

For me, my fall/winter is between those two titles. I will see if i like what i see in a few hours with EQ:N

EQ:N probably won't be out until winter 2014 at the earliest. What they showed was nothing more than a tech demo yet I was a bit disappointed for some reason. It's way too early for me to bother with following it and getting angry/hyped over it. Devs always promise the moon at these stages and a lot changes by launch.

FFXIV seems to scratch my old-school MMO fix while keeping it modern enough so hopefully I'll have some good fun with it.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
EQ:N probably won't be out until winter 2014 at the earliest. What they showed was nothing more than a tech demo yet I was a bit disappointed for some reason. It's way too early for me to bother with following it and getting angry/hyped over it. Devs always promise the moon at these stages and a lot changes by launch.

FFXIV seems to scratch my old-school MMO fix while keeping it modern enough so hopefully I'll have some good fun with it.

Yeah, i'm seeing that they are still WAY off on the horizon.

Maybe i'll try EQ2 again now that it is F2P. I did enjoy the pvp and the dungeons were fun.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Teamwork in your traditional definition doesn't start until 20ish, but it is there. It doesn't take very long to get to 20 on a single class. I'm not at all opposed to having to learn the ropes of your class or the game mechanics prior to jumping into group play. In comparison to FFXI, you solo'd to level 10 on most classes then looked for a party. In contrast, it took about as long to get to level 10 in FFXI as it does to get to level 20 in FFXIV (for a first time play through; I'm not talking about people with gear and money to fly through stuff). So it's about the same to me. The scaling of time will be smaller though in FFXIV:ARR; which is going to be welcomed by the majority of the community.

Talked to a friend in beta and he said you are able to level up all solo to at least 30...

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Talked to a friend in beta and he said you are able to level up all solo to at least 30...

We have no idea what it is like past 30, but 1-30 is basically a giant tutorial the producer said. Introducing new game systems/mechanics every 5 levels to get people the use to things. It was made to be solo friendly except for a few times you need to group up for a dungeon for the storyline.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Well, FF hasn't fucked up their endgame content just yet so I'm fairly optimistic they will know what they're doing now that yoshi p is in charge.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Is the expectation that this game will be good? Or are we prepping for it to suck?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Is the expectation that this game will be good? Or are we prepping for it to suck?

Depends on what you want from an MMO. Most that have played the beta so far like it quite a bit.

Phase 4/Open Beta was announced, begins August 17th through 19th, but if you were in Phase 3 then it begins on August 16th and ends the 19th.

Early Access for those who preorder starts on August 24th (3 day head start)

You'll be able to register your early access key from preorder on August 20th

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
I cant wait for this game! Been a long time since I was this excited for a game. Plan on starting out as an Archer on the Leviathan server... :)

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001

I was expecting it to suck, played the beta, ended up pre-ordering it. As many of us have said earlier, this game doesn't offer anything revolutionary but what it does offer is well-polished.

I guess I'd consider myself a pretty jaded MMO gamer but I really did have a good time with the little I've played of FFXIV.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Any dates for FFXIV open-beta? Once that starts I may decide to pre-order it or not. Was in the betas and it is fun, but I need to see what it's like on release.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
it looked pretty good on beta, couldnt get much into it because of the limited time the first 3 phases had, i might get more into it with open beta since characters will not be wiped

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
keep in mind open beta is also only 3/4 days. Early access players will be able to play for about a week before servers go live though.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Depends on what you want from an MMO. Most that have played the beta so far like it quite a bit.

Phase 4/Open Beta was announced, begins August 17th through 19th, but if you were in Phase 3 then it begins on August 16th and ends the 19th.

Early Access for those who preorder starts on August 24th (3 day head start)

You'll be able to register your early access key from preorder on August 20th

Since people don't want to read the last few posts for whatever reason.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Yes I am being lazy and just asking here. Does the game have pvp servers where you can attack players out in the world ? I don't even know if it has different factions, so I guess that should be the first question.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
No PVP. Probably some sort of arena setting in the future but I'm not expecting it to be a 'big deal'.

I wish I didn't have work today so I could have started playing last night lol.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Open beta tomorrow? Why can't we register for it already? I guess if it's automated codes emailed from registration it won't matter.

robvp

Aug 7, 2013
Gonna see if i can get something done after work, asked for my legacy character to be moved to the server my friends and i agreed to but i feel like its just gonna become a mule, the game has changed in a way that i have to start from scratch to get used to it again

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
No PVP. Probably some sort of arena setting in the future but I'm not expecting it to be a 'big deal'.

I wish I didn't have work today so I could have started playing last night lol.

Thanks for that.

Going to check out the open beta this weekend. If it's decent I'll pick it up and sub for a month to finish through the content and call it quits at whatever the end-game grind content is.

Reading the backstory of this game is good for a laugh. Just how terrible was the original release that they took the servers down and redid the game ? :D Man it must of been really bad.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
So this was interesting. I deleted the old install from the last beta, then installed the new version. I was able to import my character from the last beta (not the levels or character building) but the visual aspect which was kind of cool as I didn't feel like making a different one.

What servers is everyone getting on?