FF XIV ONLINE - Anyone playing?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Was fun, got to lvl 15 then I got the 90000 error and couldn't do any instanced quests so I couldn't airship anywhere. I ended up running to Ursomething from Gridania and doing stuff there but couldn't get to limsa because the ferry wasn't working.

So, I got to 17 lancer, 12 conjurer, 12 archer, 10 pug, 14 leather, 12 carpenter, 12 weaver, 10 goldsmith, 12 botanist, 10 miner over the weekend. All without being able to do the lvl 10 or 15 instance quest due to the 90000 bug.

I guess I should be thankful to not get the 1017 bug that several of my buddies got. It says the server is full but it isn't as I was able to freely log off and log back on.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
What is really amazing, is that this is really the first MMO I know of to do this. It's so ingrained in an MMO players brain that if you don't tag the monster you don't get credit that I've noticed people will always pass up helping me to go kill another spawn. Hopefully people will learn the way FFXI will give credit to anybody helping kill a monster and this should really help the whole camping for spawns issue.

Untrue.

GW2 did this for a lot of things, and WoW added it for later bigger quests/world bosses and to be added more later.

So no, not the first.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
What is really amazing, is that this is really the first MMO I know of to do this. It's so ingrained in an MMO players brain that if you don't tag the monster you don't get credit that I've noticed people will always pass up helping me to go kill another spawn. Hopefully people will learn the way FFXI will give credit to anybody helping kill a monster and this should really help the whole camping for spawns issue.

The issue with this is that you have to do a certain amount of damage. A lot of times during FATEs, people would only get credit for killing 2-3 mobs out of the 30-50 killed. Why do they only get credit for 2-3 mobs? Because of the STUPID GCD and only getting 1 shot off before 20 other people hit it and kill it. So it turns out NOBODY got the kill credit XP.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Was fun, got to lvl 15 then I got the 90000 error and couldn't do any instanced quests so I couldn't airship anywhere. I ended up running to Ursomething from Gridania and doing stuff there but couldn't get to limsa because the ferry wasn't working.

So, I got to 17 lancer, 12 conjurer, 12 archer, 10 pug, 14 leather, 12 carpenter, 12 weaver, 10 goldsmith, 12 botanist, 10 miner over the weekend. All without being able to do the lvl 10 or 15 instance quest due to the 90000 bug.

I guess I should be thankful to not get the 1017 bug that several of my buddies got. It says the server is full but it isn't as I was able to freely log off and log back on.

Holy..where do you people find the time....

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Holy..where do you people find the time....

Huh? I probably only put like 12 hours in. It really only takes 30-45 minutes or so to get any job from 1-10.

The battle classes, I would start nekkid with only my weapon and go out do the lvl 1 quest and come back at level 5 to turn it in to immediately get the level 5 quest then run out and do that and come back at level 7 to turn it in.

The crafting classes were even faster because you don't even have to move from your spot. No moving = no wasted time.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Untrue. Whoever first "tag's" the mob gets the exp/loot from it even if all they did was hit it once.

You sure about that? We had a group test this theory in several FATEs and I have tagged plenty of mobs first with an instant to get the tag but not get any credit xp because it died 1 second later.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i had about the same levels, it doesn't take very long. About 2-3 hours to get to lvl 15 as a fighting class. The lower levels shoot by real quick. It takes less than an hour to get to lvl 10 for a crafting.

Is it worth it to keep low level spiritbound items? Like an unbound saw or some lvl 1 stuff that never soulbound to you and thus can't be changed to materia.

edit: spiritbound, not soulbound

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You sure about that? We had a group test this theory in several FATEs and I have tagged plenty of mobs first with an instant to get the tag but not get any credit xp because it died 1 second later.

Yes, because I went out of my way to tag mobs to get the exp (since I was leveling up a second class for the sole purpose of a job in the future and wanted to do it quickly) and I received exp for anything I tagged first and was red and not purple to me.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Huh? I probably only put like 12 hours in. It really only takes 30-45 minutes or so to get any job from 1-10.

The battle classes, I would start nekkid with only my weapon and go out do the lvl 1 quest and come back at level 5 to turn it in to immediately get the level 5 quest then run out and do that and come back at level 7 to turn it in.

The crafting classes were even faster because you don't even have to move from your spot. No moving = no wasted time.

I must be missing something...those aren't different characters? (archer/conjurer?) I understand you can craft etc...but don't the major "skills" require characters?

EDIT: N/M I misunderstood ;p I thought you were referring to character levels.

LucJoe

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2001
Just to double check, I have the original Collector's Edition from the first release:

1) I don't need to buy the new game.
2) I don't get access to the head start. (Can't play until the 27th)
3) I need to buy a month of game time to start (No free month)

Correct?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Just to double check, I have the original Collector's Edition from the first release:

1) I don't need to buy the new game.
2) I don't get access to the head start. (Can't play until the 27th)
3) I need to buy a month of game time to start (No free month)

Correct?

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct, though you get like 2 weeks of free time iirc.

You also receive all the CE goodies for ARR

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I must be missing something...those aren't different characters? (archer/conjurer?) I understand you can craft etc...but don't the major "skills" require characters?

EDIT: N/M I misunderstood ;p I thought you were referring to character levels.

These were all done on a single character. You can level up every single class in the game with a single one if you wanted to.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
Follow this thread for an update on early release, apparently it is still down and they disabled all codes for the time being. If they can't even manage to get people to log into the game during beta and now people can't even redeeem early access codes, I can't see this release on Saturday working out. It is going to be millions of people trying to log in for hours getting error codes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1kqpcc/preorder_site_not_currently_working_as_intended/

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Follow this thread for an update on early release, apparently it is still down and they disabled all codes for the time being. If they can't even manage to get people to log into the game during beta and now people can't even redeeem early access codes, I can't see this release on Saturday working out. It is going to be millions of people trying to log in for hours getting error codes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1kqpcc/preorder_site_not_currently_working_as_intended/

You realize it's probably different teams handling each right? There's probably 3 teams handling this: the group handling the codes, the backend DB team handling accounts (assumptions) and the web frontend team. The team handling the game servers probably isn't even involved in this fiasco. Given that 150k people were able to log in last friday, it should be fairly smooth provided they can get you the codes in time.

Hopefully they figured out the 3012 error this time around. It should be as simple as forcing a routine to log off people when they're trying to login from the same IP address, similar to what FF11 did.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Many of these types you don't have to be the one to tag the mob. As long as you help kill it you'll get credit towards the quest.

Ahh, something I did not know. At least that will help a bit.

I'd rather get kill xp, but at least quest credit is better than nothing.

Tol

May 12, 2000
Ahh, something I did not know. At least that will help a bit.

I'd rather get kill xp, but at least quest credit is better than nothing.

You'll get kill xp, too. I think you just don't get any drops unless you're the first person to tag the mob.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You can register now. It is just being slammed hard. My 18 digit code went through and gave me the 20 digit code for the preorder bonus' and was able to put that on to my SE account.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Still can't enter my pre-order code. Gah!

I was able to enter my code last night but it was weird.

I entered my 18 digit code to the pre-order site but it gave me an error 3, please try again.

So I did it again 3 more times and kept getting that error.

I logged into my account and now saw under games FFXIV ARR where before it was blank, so I think the code was accepted even when it told me error 3.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Anyone got an early access code they don't want or won't be using? :D

I've got gil. Or gold. Or credits. Or steam cards lol.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I was able to enter my code last night but it was weird.

I entered my 18 digit code to the pre-order site but it gave me an error 3, please try again.

So I did it again 3 more times and kept getting that error.

I logged into my account and now saw under games FFXIV ARR where before it was blank, so I think the code was accepted even when it told me error 3.

It isn't accepted till you receive a 20 digit code afterwards. You need to go register it again.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
They say it's still down, no ETA on when it will be working. Some people say it is working for them, but if you got an EU code by mistake it will take more time to fix it.