Feminism destroyed the family.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gingermeggs

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2008
Unfortunately, the brainwashing that has occured around this issue has been successful. (This is not a personal life experience statement and I dont intend to respond to those statements.) Women bought into the controlled media message and took it hook first. The script supplied by the global media has been effective and people adopt the media content as their own thoughts. Too bad for the world-

My good little wifey is Thai, she would slap you round like a bitch' for saying stereo-typifying crap like that about women, you misogynist pig!

gingermeggs

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2008
Excellent post.

I think there have been great strides in women's rights in the last 100 yrs but I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Many families have dual incomes because they just want more stuff. Children become secondary to the ultimate goal of accumulating wealth. A new car becomes more important than raising and spending time with your kids. I see this as tragic when, because of want rather than need, mom gets a job and the kids are raised by the babysitter.

Now that's a great post.......

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Feminism means freedom, to work or to be a housewife as you wish.

To the extent that this statement is true, I have no issue with it.

To the extent that it means double-standards, I have an enormous issue with it. If feminists want equality, then they should be prepared to take the good aspects of equality along with the bad.

I often see examples of them wanting the good, and none of the bad.

I have an issue when feminism devolves into the hatred of men, and the implicit endorsement of acts which personify this hatred.

Last edited:

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Excellent post.

I think there have been great strides in women's rights in the last 100 yrs but I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way. Many families have dual incomes because they just want more stuff. Children become secondary to the ultimate goal of accumulating wealth. A new car becomes more important than raising and spending time with your kids. I see this as tragic when, because of want rather than need, mom gets a job and the kids are raised by the babysitter.

Or in some cases just avoid kids altogether. Why have kids when you can enjoy your life so much better without them?

Shaydza

Mar 25, 2012
To the extent that this statement is true, I have no issue with it.

To the extent that it means double-standards, I have an enormous issue with it. If feminists want equality, then they should be prepared to take the good aspects of equality along with the bad.

I often see examples of them wanting the good, and none of the bad.

I have an issue when feminism devolves into the hatred of men, and the implicit endorsement of acts which personify this hatred.

I agree with this whole heartedly, women should be free to make the decisions that make them happiest. If that means you want to be a high powered career exec then so be it and if you want to be a housewife then so be it.

What I disagree with is women who want the career but want special treatment and promotions simply because they are women.

And to the feminists who look down on women who choose to be housewives, you are no better than the chauvinist men of the past. Telling women what they can or cannot be is exactly how we got into this mess.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shaydza

Mar 25, 2012
Or in some cases just avoid kids altogether. Why have kids when you can enjoy your life so much better without them?

Many people would regard having their kids as the most fulfilling part of their lives.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Many people would regard having their kids as the most fulfilling part of their lives.

Have all the kids you want and fulfill away, as long as you can support them.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
So, independence leads to dependence? Damn, Yossarian would be impressed.

By "economic independence" I meant the ability to have a job and provide for herself instead of depending on a man. The failure of a single female to balance career and family life leads to government dependence.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

Yet more and more people are deciding not to.

Relationships nowadays don't last like they used to, and marriage is a joke. For couples without a ton of extra time, not having kids is an easy choice.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
By "economic independence" I meant the ability to have a job and provide for herself instead of depending on a man. The failure of a single female to balance career and family life leads to government dependence.

Yes, of course. These days women get all uppity and start working, but then because they are women they can't handle their jobs and end up quitting. If only they had spent all those work hours looking for a man to support them instead, then everything would have been peachy-keen.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
KISS.

Here's the skinny. Women ARE different. They are different in a few significant ways.

The problem is, those ways have little bearing on many of the things in life that people tack to "femininity". Carry this box? Fine, but why are they paid less (on average)? Why is a woman considered a bitch when she asserts herself as much as the men in the company do?

And the point about salaries is right on. Houses where the kids room was big enough for a dresser, closet and bed were the norm. Rooms that you did not have to share with a sibling were primo! Now, the "norm" is a room big enough so Jr can have a multimedia center hooked up to his HTPC so he can stay friends will all of his classmates on Facebook. :p

I have NEVER seen so many luxury cars driving around on the highways. Where the hell did everyone get the cash to drive BMW's during a recession?

Unfortunately, that prevalence has made it impossible to live anywhere but Podunk KS if you work on only one salary less than 6 figures.

But back to topic. Feminism did squat to "ruin" the family. Greed, materialism and lazy ass parenting (Oh, it is the TV's fault my kid is an axe murderer!!!!) that killed the family. Feminism just made it so the man was not the only one who could say "Not my fault."

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Imho, Feminism and the ERA were artificial creations designed to destroy family (values) and degrade women. Also, global bankers realized they needed a way to get women into the workforce because only half the population were paying taxes.

It's not even an opinion. You can find books written 50 years ago stating how it would be good for business to get both sexes fully engulfed by debt and mindless consumption. Well, they got it. And now most people are so stupid, so dumbed down, that they cannot even understand what the op was saying. Hence the "can I have what ur smoking.... har har har I have the education and intellect of a 7 year old" comments. They won. American values lost. Now nothing can be done except watch in horror as stupid begets stupid until the stupids do something really really stupid.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
It's not even an opinion. You can find books written 50 years ago stating how it would be good for business to get both sexes fully engulfed by debt and mindless consumption. Well, they got it. And now most people are so stupid, so dumbed down, that they cannot even understand what the op was saying. Hence the "can I have what ur smoking.... har har har I have the education and intellect of a 7 year old" comments. They won. American values lost. Now nothing can be done except watch in horror as stupid begets stupid until the stupids do something really really stupid.

What american "values" do you believe to be lost?

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
They aren't. For the same job women tend to actually make more money than males. The "gender pay gap" comes from men being more interested in high paying fields.

Depends.

They have found that women are more loyal in their jobs than men (go fig). Add that to the fact that people get paid more when they change jobs than when they stay on one (I have seen that myself, 4%/yr raise vs. 18% on a job switch).

Women only make more then men at some jobs, and men are still offered better work than women in many fields.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

That has nothing to do with Feminism.

That is consumption.

These men were saying "hey, if women are going to start working, we have to get them to start spending".

Classic sales model.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Yes, of course. These days women get all uppity and start working, but then because they are women they can't handle their jobs and end up quitting. If only they had spent all those work hours looking for a man to support them instead, then everything would have been peachy-keen.

It's not that they can't handle it, but because they don't want the same responsibilities. A woman wants the option to work when it suits her, while still having the option to quit her job and play housewife when that suits her. There is no social and economic pressure on her like for men. If she attains a high-power career position, it's not going to grant her "alpha" status in the dating market, because that part is primarily determined by her looks. If she stays home while someone else pays the bills, it's not going to give her "loser" status either.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Families only get destroyed if the members of them allow themselves to be driven apart by hatred. I got to agree with shadow and the ninja on this. Families are evolving to fit a changing society and there are different pressures on them, but they're still alive and kicking.