Fat loss - how to lose the bulge and gain the ripples

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
man my roomate has a box from one in storage but there is no instapot inside of it. that would be cool

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just read about Oceana study in 2013. The are an ocean preservation think tank and did a research study on what species of fish is actually being sold.
---snip--
I do a little calisthenics at home and have never belonged to a gym or felt comfortable, welcome there.
I rarely eat fish, have some "albacore" tuna, Kirkland branded from Costco, haven't opened a can for maybe 6 months. Was thinking about it last week, tuna sandwiches.

I got into going to the gym when my foot went bad in '85, had to stop running. Couldn't even walk much. Took up swimming and was the maniac of the pool until my shoulder gave out 10 years later. So, stuck with the weight room, eventually got arthoscopic shoulder surgery, still hit the gym 3.5x/week, 'cause I figure without that I'd get weak and useless. Don't swim anymore, my gym doesn't have a pool, but I'd be afraid of what would happen if I tried swimming laps the way I used to, figure I'd injure myself.

Fitness kinda helps in life. Energy comes from the body, a healthy body helps keep a healthy mind. I have a routine in the gym, I'm dedicated. I'm not as thin as I want to be, but have never been particularly overweight. Still, I'd prefer to be single digit fat/body-weight. It's something I'm working on. Most of my walking is around the house. I bicycle, roller skate. My gym is closing down at the end of the month and the closest affiliate is 6+ miles away, so I may get more aerobic just getting there, if I stick with my gym. That branch has a pool, but I figure to be wary of lap-swimming with my shoulder issues now.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Insta-pot will being beans from dry to cooked in less than 2 hours!
I have a very old fashioned pressure cooker, the thing has actual wooden handles! It's missing the top-cock, so I fashioned one from a large, long, heavy socket and some black rubber. Seems to keep enough pressure in there to cook stuff pretty quickly. It is aluminum, which I suppose is a concern, however I don't use it that much. I use it to make stew and sometimes cook beans.

I guess I don't eat enough beans, should cut back on beef, which I put in my stew. I'm eating maybe 24 ounces of lean beef/week. My doctor told me to eat more red meat around 15 years ago because I was borderline anemic. I'm not as anemic now, maybe I can/should cut back on the meat. I do eat less meat than most people, I think, but maybe it's too much anyway. I have cut down on eggs recently, and am eating almost no butter. The beef I eat is the leanest I can find.

I get omega-3 from Krill oil capsules.

Edit: I stopped taking the Krill oil capsules, although touted as not giving you the fishy aftertaste you get from fish oil capsules, I still get that. I had some kind of digestion issue this year and the capsules didn't help, so I stopped taking them. Still have a bunch in the fridge...

Last edited:
Reactions: freddylegen

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Shorty started yoga. Already having a problem.
Thanks to depression and lousy eating habits I got diabetes, and having struggled with it for a while I now have neuropathy in my toes.
Yoga was really kicking my ass, especially anything that requires constant toe flexing, or pressure. But I will stick it out to lose weight and improve flexibility.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Soybean is also useful for weight loss. Include soybean source products in your diet like soybean milk, soya crunch etc. Soybean has other benefits also. To read about 10 benefits of soybean. Click here
I used to buy soybeans and make tempeh back around 1980. Got quite good at it. It's high complete protein and IIRC soy tempeh is the only good vegetarian source of B12. Indonesians are really into tempeh, particularly soybean tempeh. Making it in my kitchen was kind of a science project, but I've done much tougher projects in my kitchen. I developed a simple enough system that was efficient and reliable, based on info I got from a book I bought, The Book of Tempeh. I really recommend that book.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I also used to have soya chunks salad during my weight loss days.
I'm eating a salad almost every day these days, pretty much the same one but I like it. A tablespoon or less of thousand island dressing on it, that I make myself from mayo, Heinz ketchup and sweet pickle relish, plus:

All organic, washed and chopped:

lettuce
carrot
bell pepper
raisins
tomato
Jarlsberg cheese
A bit of salt and pepper [Edit: Dusting of Old Bay Seasoning]

I whip up this salad in well under 10 minutes!

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Started my journey back in May, have now lost a bit over 50 lbs , at the start i was so out of shape that any hard walking would leave me out of breath, just did a little bit more every few weeks, would start with 15 minutes on treadmill at max incline 3x a day, eventually 2x 30min . I'm now up to 4.5km's a day with some good elevation inclines , just need to get rid of maybe another 5lbs to be where i want to be.

I've just started mixing in a bit of running (i hate walking downhill it hurts my legs) , maybe about 1km now.

Reactions: Muse and Kaido

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Started my journey back in May, have now lost a bit over 50 lbs , at the start i was so out of shape that any hard walking would leave me out of breath, just did a little bit more every few weeks, would start with 15 minutes on treadmill at max incline 3x a day, eventually 2x 30min . I'm now up to 4.5km's a day with some good elevation inclines , just need to get rid of maybe another 5lbs to be where i want to be.

I've just started mixing in a bit of running (i hate walking downhill it hurts my legs) , maybe about 1km now.
My goal back around then was lose 30lb. I have lost 25 and figure another 25 would get me where I want to be. I never dreamed I was 50lb above where I wanted to be back in May. I've held steady where I am for almost 4 months (since early August), so kind of in a holding pattern, but that's progress because I used to lose my commitment. I still have it, I just don't have the same edge I had that had me losing weight pretty much steadily. With colder weather settling in it's harder, but I'm still maintaining my weight.

My exercise is the same, most days 10 mile quad skate on smooth street with heart rate monitor on, which burns 750-950 calories, depending on how I feel, mostly (6 day/week, weather permitting, which it has been pretty consistently so far). If not getting enough sleep, my average heart rate while skating isn't as high. But I still complete the 10 miles. It's more fun when I'm well rested, of course. If it's not arduous, skating the street is really fun.

I reward myself each 5lb I lose by allowing myself to go out to eat 5 times (takeout). I need to lose 3.5lb for my next "reward."

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido and KMFJD

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
managed to gain almost 30 pounds while in the DR , i've since lost 20 pounds since coming back....Dominican cooking can fatten you up even when you double your workout :)

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
managed to gain almost 30 pounds while in the DR , i've since lost 20 pounds since coming back....Dominican cooking can fatten you up even when you double your workout :)
During that time i had changed up my morning routine and doubled it to a 10km walk as well as a 30 minute bike ride late in the afternoon...all the restaurant food still kept making me gain weight , and i mainly stayed away from anything deep fried (no fast food places at all). currently 3.5 months back home and i have a new routine which involves 3 hours of low intensity cycling (while working) combined with about 10 quick 5 minute 3mph walks at a 10% incline. I will be upping the duration as i get more used to the speed and incline but since switching to 3mph my legs have definitely been feeling it as well as my lungs

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
During that time i had changed up my morning routine and doubled it to a 10km walk as well as a 30 minute bike ride late in the afternoon...all the restaurant food still kept making me gain weight , and i mainly stayed away from anything deep fried (no fast food places at all). currently 3.5 months back home and i have a new routine which involves 3 hours of low intensity cycling (while working) combined with about 10 quick 5 minute 3mph walks at a 10% incline. I will be upping the duration as i get more used to the speed and incline but since switching to 3mph my legs have definitely been feeling it as well as my lungs
I stopped going to the gym during the pandemic (closed!), also playing golf (my home course shut down for a while). After the course opened I heard it was inundated by people looking for safe outdoors activities. Likely the great majority were duffers, the worst kind of golfers, so I didn't play at all until ~2 weeks ago. I have played 5 rounds since. During pandemic I quad skated a local smooth street 10 miles/day (wearing a heart rate monitor and pushing myself) 7 days a week, after the first 6 months. Prior to that I worked out in the house on stationary bike. Now I'm back in the gym (since early February), 2-3 times/week. Still skating a fair amount, but the golf is the best aerobic exercise among all those things. My home course is very hilly and I ALWAYS walk it, with a push cart. My heart and lungs get a super workout.

Reactions: KMFJD